Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New to overclocking, could use a few opinions

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2007 6:50:26 AM

UPS just delivered my new system today! The only experience I've had overclocking was with the Uguru utility that came with my previous system from Alienware, but I've been visiting this site and others, and I've caught the 'bug', and want to learn and do some real overclocking!

The specs for the the system is below, I'd like to know how much 'potential' or 'headroom' this system (actually the hardware I chose, motherboard, cpu, memory ect) has for overclocking? From what I understand, some components allow you to overclock more than others.

And if anyone could take a minute to give me a starting point, in other words do I start with the cpu then the memory, or does it not really matter?

TIA, and I'm sure I'll have a 'few' more questions in the near future if that's ok. :) 

Asus M2N SLI Deluxe - NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP
550 Watt Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO with 120mm Fan
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, Copper Heat Pipes (good choice?)
2048MB Corsair Dominator DDR2-800 (2x1024)
512MB ATI Radeon X1950 XTX
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeAudio
2 x 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS 7200rpm SATA/300, 16MB Cache-RAID 0
250GB Western Digital WD2500KS 7200rpm SATA/300, 16MB Cache
20x Lite On DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe
16x DVD/48x CD-RW Lite On Combo Drive
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Again, TIA

More about : overclocking opinions

March 28, 2007 8:56:54 AM

yep...that indeed is a good starting point :) 

cheers
March 28, 2007 12:12:30 PM

Thanks mpilchfamily. I was reading that when I started to put the system together, now that I have the system and can actually use it I'll go back and read it again. :) 
Related resources
March 28, 2007 12:21:23 PM

Quote:
yep...that indeed is a good starting point :) cheers
Good to know baligavinod!
March 28, 2007 1:10:23 PM

overclocking is great, it adds much performance improvements over stock speeds. Beginners should stick to mild overclocks (100-400mhz) as they arent experienced. But once you learn all the tricks and how to overclock a processor to its max you can go all out and gain significant improvements

ive been overclocking for almost 3 years now, and i have never had a processor die on me due to heat.... but thats because i know when upping the voltage isnt worth it anymore
March 28, 2007 6:59:55 PM

Quote:
ive been overclocking for almost 3 years now, and i have never had a processor die on me due to heat....
I'm ging to take mpilchfamily's advice and start with the cpu... do you think I'll be 'safe' for now with the cooler (see first post) I bought for the cpu? It has some good reviews, but don't know anyone who actually used one.

I'd hate to 'fry' my 2 day old processor! :)