Direct Parallel problem (2)

April 3, 2005 2:47:39 PM

Note: the referral to Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by Sharon F was
never answered. So I am back.

I have been referred to this group from Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User.

Problem:
I have a Direct Parallel cable connecting a WinXP (Guest) to a Win96 (Host).
1. The Host shows "waiting for a guest computer..."
2. The Guest connects to Host
3. The Host shows "connected to Direct Parallel..."
4. THE PROBLEM - No files can be seen on the Host from the Guest (I want to
use the Host as a backup drive)

I have "shared" folders, drives, Properties in every place know to me on
Host.
I have both Guest and Host workgroup equal (the same name).
I use FAT32 on Guest .
I use Admin account on Guest.
System tray icon shows connection with properties.
I have NOT changed (returned to store) the new Direct Parallel cable - my
next step if no answers here.

Thanks in advance for help....Cecil
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:20:35 PM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:47:39 -0500, Cecil Kearney wrote:

> Note: the referral to Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by Sharon F was
> never answered. So I am back.
>
> I have been referred to this group from Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User.
>
> Problem:
> I have a Direct Parallel cable connecting a WinXP (Guest) to a Win96 (Host).
> 1. The Host shows "waiting for a guest computer..."
> 2. The Guest connects to Host
> 3. The Host shows "connected to Direct Parallel..."
> 4. THE PROBLEM - No files can be seen on the Host from the Guest (I want to
> use the Host as a backup drive)
>
> I have "shared" folders, drives, Properties in every place know to me on
> Host.
> I have both Guest and Host workgroup equal (the same name).
> I use FAT32 on Guest .
> I use Admin account on Guest.
> System tray icon shows connection with properties.
> I have NOT changed (returned to store) the new Direct Parallel cable - my
> next step if no answers here.
>
> Thanks in advance for help....Cecil

Hi, Cecil. I have to say that I don't remember your original post. Not sure
why the details from the old post would cause me to suggest the basics
group.

The only thoughts that I have on your situation (from this new post) is
that connections with direct parallel cables are painfully slow. A network
card in each computer and a crossover cable would improve speed and might
help to make the file sharing process a lot less painful. You should be
able to acquire this hardware (2 nics and a cable) for less than $20 USD.

Also with Win9x (is 96 a typo for 98?) involved, there may be an issue with
network protocols. XP uses TCP/IP protocol for this kind of simple
networking. Win9x can be setup to do the same but it is not the default
protocol in its network setup. TCP/IP will work for file sharing but must
be setup on both machines as the file and print sharing mechanism.

Also, even though you are using FAT32 on your WinXP, try passworded user
accounts. Create accounts with the same name on the Win9x machine as well
as the XP computer. Use these accounts when the systems are "talking" to
each other.

An article that you may found helpful is "Adding XP to an existing Win98
network" (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.ht...). Even
though you do not have an already existing network, your host for this
network is not XP so you should find some helpful information in that
article.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon, thanks for looking at this problem. I have new information:
1) Win 96 (HOST) is not at typo. I want to use this old computer as off-line
backup.
2) Speed is not an issue
3) The following messages appear as I connect the Guest (XP Home) to the Win
96 (Host).
On the Host - "Status - connected via Parallel cable on LPT1".
On the Guest - "Network Protocal Connection Result: One or more did not
connect successfully.
TCP/IP CP error 736
IPX/SPX or compatiable CP = success"

Clicked on "Accept"

Note TCP/IP service is installed on the Host and Guest. Do not know why
TCP/IP is failing. What is error 736?

Status on Guest: Connected, speed = 4.0 mps
Device Name - Direct Parallel
Device Type - Parallel
Server Type - IPP
Transport - IPX
Authentication - MSCHAP
Compression - MPPC
PPP multilink framing - off
Client IPX address - CE84E3EA.02EE0172D128
....Thanks Cecil

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:47:39 -0500, Cecil Kearney wrote:
>
> > Note: the referral to Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by Sharon F was
> > never answered. So I am back.
> >
> > I have been referred to this group from Microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics by
> > Sharon F
> > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User.
> >
> > Problem:
> > I have a Direct Parallel cable connecting a WinXP (Guest) to a Win96 (Host).
> > 1. The Host shows "waiting for a guest computer..."
> > 2. The Guest connects to Host
> > 3. The Host shows "connected to Direct Parallel..."
> > 4. THE PROBLEM - No files can be seen on the Host from the Guest (I want to
> > use the Host as a backup drive)
> >
> > I have "shared" folders, drives, Properties in every place know to me on
> > Host.
> > I have both Guest and Host workgroup equal (the same name).
> > I use FAT32 on Guest .
> > I use Admin account on Guest.
> > System tray icon shows connection with properties.
> > I have NOT changed (returned to store) the new Direct Parallel cable - my
> > next step if no answers here.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for help....Cecil
>
> Hi, Cecil. I have to say that I don't remember your original post. Not sure
> why the details from the old post would cause me to suggest the basics
> group.
>
> The only thoughts that I have on your situation (from this new post) is
> that connections with direct parallel cables are painfully slow. A network
> card in each computer and a crossover cable would improve speed and might
> help to make the file sharing process a lot less painful. You should be
> able to acquire this hardware (2 nics and a cable) for less than $20 USD.
>
> Also with Win9x (is 96 a typo for 98?) involved, there may be an issue with
> network protocols. XP uses TCP/IP protocol for this kind of simple
> networking. Win9x can be setup to do the same but it is not the default
> protocol in its network setup. TCP/IP will work for file sharing but must
> be setup on both machines as the file and print sharing mechanism.
>
> Also, even though you are using FAT32 on your WinXP, try passworded user
> accounts. Create accounts with the same name on the Win9x machine as well
> as the XP computer. Use these accounts when the systems are "talking" to
> each other.
>
> An article that you may found helpful is "Adding XP to an existing Win98
> network" (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.ht...). Even
> though you do not have an already existing network, your host for this
> network is not XP so you should find some helpful information in that
> article.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:20:33 PM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:59:03 -0700, Cenan wrote:

> Sharon, thanks for looking at this problem. I have new information:
> 1) Win 96 (HOST) is not at typo. I want to use this old computer as off-line
> backup.
> 2) Speed is not an issue
> 3) The following messages appear as I connect the Guest (XP Home) to the Win
> 96 (Host).
> On the Host - "Status - connected via Parallel cable on LPT1".
> On the Guest - "Network Protocal Connection Result: One or more did not
> connect successfully.
> TCP/IP CP error 736
> IPX/SPX or compatiable CP = success"
>
> Clicked on "Accept"
>
> Note TCP/IP service is installed on the Host and Guest. Do not know why
> TCP/IP is failing. What is error 736?
>
> Status on Guest: Connected, speed = 4.0 mps
> Device Name - Direct Parallel
> Device Type - Parallel
> Server Type - IPP
> Transport - IPX
> Authentication - MSCHAP
> Compression - MPPC
> PPP multilink framing - off
> Client IPX address - CE84E3EA.02EE0172D128

1) I've never heard of Win 96.
2) Good because file transfer with parallel cable is extremely slow.
3) Did you install the IPX/SPX protocol on the WinXP system? You need to
use the same protocol on both machines for them to talk to each other. Also
default workgroup name is different from WinXP and previous versions of
Windows. You'll want that to match as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

1) Win 95 (yes 96 is/was a typo)
2) IPX is on both machines
3) Workgroup name is the same on both machines.
4) Error 736, is that the problem? If so, suggestions on how to fix.
5) this cannot be this difficult. I have to be doing the same mistake over
and over.
6) Thanks. Cecil

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:59:03 -0700, Cenan wrote:
>
> > Sharon, thanks for looking at this problem. I have new information:
> > 1) Win 96 (HOST) is not at typo. I want to use this old computer as off-line
> > backup.
> > 2) Speed is not an issue
> > 3) The following messages appear as I connect the Guest (XP Home) to the Win
> > 96 (Host).
> > On the Host - "Status - connected via Parallel cable on LPT1".
> > On the Guest - "Network Protocal Connection Result: One or more did not
> > connect successfully.
> > TCP/IP CP error 736
> > IPX/SPX or compatiable CP = success"
> >
> > Clicked on "Accept"
> >
> > Note TCP/IP service is installed on the Host and Guest. Do not know why
> > TCP/IP is failing. What is error 736?
> >
> > Status on Guest: Connected, speed = 4.0 mps
> > Device Name - Direct Parallel
> > Device Type - Parallel
> > Server Type - IPP
> > Transport - IPX
> > Authentication - MSCHAP
> > Compression - MPPC
> > PPP multilink framing - off
> > Client IPX address - CE84E3EA.02EE0172D128
>
> 1) I've never heard of Win 96.
> 2) Good because file transfer with parallel cable is extremely slow.
> 3) Did you install the IPX/SPX protocol on the WinXP system? You need to
> use the same protocol on both machines for them to talk to each other. Also
> default workgroup name is different from WinXP and previous versions of
> Windows. You'll want that to match as well.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 5:06:50 AM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:49:01 -0700, Cenan wrote:

> 4) Error 736, is that the problem? If so, suggestions on how to fix.

Did you setup the network protocols yet? They must both be the same. You
either setup Win98 to use TCP/IP or you set up XP to use whatever Win98 is
using for file/print sharing. See the network articles that I linked for
you earlier.

Also:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=error+736

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:49:01 -0700, Cenan wrote:

> 1) Win 95 (yes 96 is/was a typo)
> 2) IPX is on both machines
> 3) Workgroup name is the same on both machines.
> 4) Error 736, is that the problem? If so, suggestions on how to fix.
> 5) this cannot be this difficult. I have to be doing the same mistake over
> and over.
> 6) Thanks. Cecil
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:

Another reference for you:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=1...

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon,
I found the problem! I installed TweakUI for Windows some time ago and
rarely use the "Tweaks". However, I looked into this program as a last resort
and sure enough there is a section called "Computer>Drives". All the drives
were unchecked except C:, D: A:. I chicked all the drives and the Direct
Parellel connection worked perfectly. Hope this helps someone else. ....Cecil

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:49:01 -0700, Cenan wrote:
>
> > 1) Win 95 (yes 96 is/was a typo)
> > 2) IPX is on both machines
> > 3) Workgroup name is the same on both machines.
> > 4) Error 736, is that the problem? If so, suggestions on how to fix.
> > 5) this cannot be this difficult. I have to be doing the same mistake over
> > and over.
> > 6) Thanks. Cecil
> >
> > "Sharon F" wrote:
> >
> Another reference for you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=1...
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:11:55 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:16:01 -0700, Cenan wrote:

> Sharon,
> I found the problem! I installed TweakUI for Windows some time ago and
> rarely use the "Tweaks". However, I looked into this program as a last resort
> and sure enough there is a section called "Computer>Drives". All the drives
> were unchecked except C:, D: A:. I chicked all the drives and the Direct
> Parellel connection worked perfectly. Hope this helps someone else. ....Cecil

Good work, Cecil and thanks for taking the time to post your solution. As
you say, it might help someone else down the line.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User