TV tuner and Ubuntu

Coelocanth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Greetings!

I've installed Ubuntu and have been trying it out for a couple weeks. Must say I'm enjoying the hell out of Linux. So long Windows...! Well, not quite (I've set up the system for dual-boot, but I find I haven't used Windows since I installed Ubuntu).

Anyhow, I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 PCI card which I never got around to installing and now find I'd like to be able to watch tv on the computer, so I'd like to install it. The question is: how much of a nightmare is this going to be to get it running? I know I can use Tvtime to just watch, but ideally, I'd like to be able to record the odd program as well. I've tried doing a search about it (Googled, searched the Ubuntu forums, etc) and find I'm more confused now than before. It seems people have problems getting their cards to work, getting the proper drivers, getting it to produce a picture, etc. Some people report they never get them working. After all the searching I've done, I still can't get a definitive annswer as to whether this card will run on a Linux box.

Anyone know what the procedure would be to get this up and running, or if it can be done at all? (I know I need to install the card, then boot up the computer, but I'm wondering if I need to find specific drivers or if there are packages to DL, etc. Or will it be a matter of install the card, install Tvtime (or whatever program I decide to use), and away I go)?

Bah, I guess I've not articulated my concerns all that well. Just chalk it up to me being a noob at Linux and my rather anal desire to trouble-shoot before the fact. Any help or advice would be appreciated though. (Linux 0, are you out there? :lol: )

Coelocanth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Thanks for the link. Upon further searching, I found a guide to installing MythTV on the Ubuntu forums and I think I'll give it a shot. (The guy that wrote it was using the same card as I have).

Coelocanth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Thanks.

Heh, leave it to me to grab the card with the Conexant 23416 chipset (it's the MCE card). We'll see how it goes with that...

nhlekzam

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Joel Demerre

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi There,

I recently bought Genuis TVGO A03X USB Analog TV receiver problem is Ubuntu 10.04 could not recognized it. Do you have driver for Linux box.