Sign in with
Your question

8800 RULEZ oblivion on ps3 looks like...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2007 9:38:12 AM

Crap :lol:  . Dude i saw the screenshots they look so pathetic. The comparison is worse than comparing a ps2 game to a ps3 .

It looks like more of a PS game compared to a ps3 .

:lol:  PC gaming RULEZ :twisted: DONT MESS WITH THE DADDY :twisted:

Compare this http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5039/ob2aj8.jpg

XBOX360/PS3 to this

PC
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3MDk3...

Chalk and Cheese :lol: 
March 28, 2007 9:54:02 AM

uhhh, but the images are nothing like each other, one is taken in the middle of a town while the other is out in the open.

you need to find 2 similar images, then compare them.

Im not saying the graphics of the cosole version looks good, but it doesnt look too bad either considering half the worlds pc's cant get over 25 fps on oblivion at a high res.
March 28, 2007 10:00:28 AM

Not only that, but thats just a port. Doesn't really show off what the ps3 is capable of and from what Nvidia said, their 8800gtx is only 2x more powerful then the current gpu inside of the ps3 and considering that no games are really made to exclusively use the 8800gtx's power and a ps3 cost the same as a gtx, it seems like a fair deal to me.
Related resources
March 28, 2007 10:08:51 AM

Quote:
Not only that, but thats just a port. Doesn't really show off what the ps3 is capable of and from what Nvidia said, their 8800gtx is only 2x more powerful then the current gpu inside of the ps3 and considering that no games are really made to exclusively use the 8800gtx's power and a ps3 cost the same as a gtx, it seems like a fair deal to me.

ONLY TWICE AS POWERFUL :lol:  dude you are misinformed big time . The 8800 is a beast compared to the Mouse in the PS3 :lol: 

Fair deal are you kidding 8O Please give me the notion of a fair deal according to you :lol: 

600$ for a ps3 plus 60$ for the game 8O

300$ for a 8800GTS EVGA SUPERCLOCKED

total savings of 360$ .

Fair deal :lol:  Plus not counting that there are NO Mods OR any user Content.
March 28, 2007 10:10:41 AM

Quote:
uhhh, but the images are nothing like each other, one is taken in the middle of a town while the other is out in the open.

you need to find 2 similar images, then compare them.

Im not saying the graphics of the cosole version looks good, but it doesnt look too bad either considering half the worlds pc's cant get over 25 fps on oblivion at a high res.

What are you talking about 8O I have a AMD 3000+ PROCESSOR paired with my 8800 gts .

IT ROCKS :p  I am looking for a better pic :) 

HERE YOU go i found a thread of various games screenshots including Oblivion on the 8800http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=203176&page=9

ENJOY :D 
March 28, 2007 10:23:39 AM

For once, it's the other way around - as PC gamers we're all used to terrible console ports :roll:
March 28, 2007 10:27:29 AM

Quote:
For once, it's the other way around - as PC gamers we're all used to terrible console ports :roll:

You got that right :lol:  I always feel something ain't right :lol: 
March 28, 2007 10:36:55 AM

I was referring to a gtx, not a gts and as for my information i am just quoting Nvidia when they unveiled their 8800 gtx.
March 28, 2007 10:48:20 AM

Just goes to show that the consoles' main strength comes from developers specifically coding for that hardware - running more "generalised" code like a port makes things look poo 8)
March 28, 2007 10:54:30 AM

Quote:
I was referring to a gtx, not a gts and as for my information i am just quoting Nvidia when they unveiled their 8800 gtx.

Dude did you see how much this card costs, also don't take my word for it just

do a search on google .

Quotes are funny , you know why cause people can get misquoted.

Just do a search . :roll: or give me a link alright :wink:
March 28, 2007 11:02:32 AM

I'd imagine the PS3 looks about as good as most people playing the game on a PC. There are far more people with under-powered PCs than those with uber high end rigs that can max out Oblivion.

Now I'm not defending the PS3, just saying that comparing the best of both isn't necessarily realistic for every user out there. The average PC user who doesn't build their own probably sees Wii, Xbox, and PS3 as the better choice for gaming.
March 28, 2007 11:07:33 AM

Quote:
I'd imagine the PS3 looks about as good as most people playing the game on a PC. There are far more people with under-powered PCs than those with uber high end rigs that can max out Oblivion.

Now I'm not defending the PS3, just saying that comparing the best of both isn't necessarily realistic for every user out there. The average PC user who doesn't build their own probably sees Wii, Xbox, and PS3 as the better choice for gaming.

Let me just say this that if i had to spend 300$ to get a Gts or 600$ and miscellaneous expenses tv , game. controllers etc

Then the Ps3 loses out . The ps3 is aimed at the HARDCORE GAMER , so My COMPARISON IS with the Hardcore GAMER .

:) 

ALSO my pc is very average spec RIGHT now AMD 3000+
:D  so according to me the comparison is fair .

Only a rich kid who is not a HARDCORE GAMER would by the PS3, otherwise i would guess most people would pay for it from there savings :wink:
March 28, 2007 11:11:46 AM

But then there's the hardcore gamer which buys a PS3 and lives rough for a month, or the hardcore gamer which buys a new graphics card every 6 months and is perpectually poor. :lol: 
March 28, 2007 11:15:48 AM

Quote:
But then there's the hardcore gamer which buys a PS3 and lives rough for a month, or the hardcore gamer which buys a new graphics card every 6 months and is perpectually poor. :lol: 

Yeah i can see the joke :D  but not the logic :?

600 BIG ones , you gotta be kidding to output that crap :lol: 

I think I'll pass :D 

On second thoughts the Ps3 i a amazing machine a sooper komputer , soon it will cook you bacon and eggs and serve breakfast in bed :lol:  :lol: 

gimmie a break and i don't mean a KItkat :lol: 

OH another thing if you guys can't see the difference between the images then it could 1 of the following conclusions

You are either colour blind

or Getting Brain Dead in either case consult a physician right away :lol: 
March 28, 2007 11:31:36 AM

Comon, that ps3/xbox screenshot can't be that bad... it looks worse than my 7800gs oc p4 3.2ghz 2gigs ddr400, i've never seen xbox/ps3 oblivion in person.. but it can't be as bad as that! On a side note, picked up shivering isles and c&c3 kane edition last night... didn't have a chance to play c&c3 :p 
March 28, 2007 12:16:48 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about 8O I have a AMD 3000+ PROCESSOR paired with my 8800 gts .

read my comment again, its implying that not everyone has a 8800 in their rigs :p 

again, im stressing that i dont like ht eprice the ps3 is asking for, but its not a bad gaming machine. There will always be people who preffer console to pc, its their choice, you can force them to think otherwise.

likewise there will always be games that are optimised for each system. compareing pc optimised games on a console isnt the best way to go about it, they are two entirely different things!

the only plus point of consoles is the fact that, once you got it, you dont need to worry about upgrading graphics to play the latest games every year or two.

Personally i thought the ps2 got better as years went by cause people started to really make the most of its hardware. same thing will happen with ps3/xbox360 , the games will only get better (there will be a select few that will cause you to through the console out the window, but the general trend should be good)
March 28, 2007 12:38:29 PM

And of course: Graphics alone do not a great game make.

Most consoles have some exclusive titles. A console can only be as good as its library. That's why I'll buy a Wii. :D 

If Sony had some better exclusive titles I bet people would find $600 for the system. Make Halo 4 a PS3 exclusive and plenty of people would buy them. It worked for Microsoft.
March 28, 2007 12:39:51 PM

It might also give the developers the kick up the arse they need to start developing good multi-threaded games, since they'll need to in order to unleash the new consoles :) 
March 28, 2007 12:40:26 PM

Quote:

read my comment again, its implying that not everyone has a 8800 in their rigs :p 

again, im stressing that i dont like ht eprice the ps3 is asking for, but its not a bad gaming machine.

Okay let me get this you dont like the 600 dollars that you have to pay to get the console but its NOT a bad gaming machne;

Okay this is so stupid as statement :lol:  its like I dont like the price of a BMW but its a great car ; WTF

So not everyone has a 880 in their pc but everyone gets a PS 3 for free wow that is news to me , no wonder Sony is losing money , givin them away.

Dude you :roll: *bangs head in the wall * its not your fault you just don't have a basis to argue :roll:
March 28, 2007 12:48:39 PM

lol, so your saying that if someone doesnt like something then that something is just bad.

your own example: If say i didnt like the bmw it could be due to any reason...price, looks, anything. but does that make it a useless peice of engineering?? no.

similarly I dont like the 600 dollar tag on the ps3, but that doesnt make it a bad machine. It makes it a costly machine, there is a difference.

This debate is going on because your comparing games that were optimised for pc's against the the console. Exactly how did you think the results would have been??

did you think the ps3 would out play a pc??? so why bother starting a post about it?

its like that daft post on here about a ps3 vs a pc, who is their righ tminds would do that?!
March 28, 2007 12:49:55 PM

Quote:

Okay this is so stupid as statement :lol:  its like I dont like the price of a BMW but its a great car ; WTF

I don't even know what you're prattling on about anymore? :roll:
March 28, 2007 12:50:21 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

So you're telling me I can buy an 8800GTS EVGA SUPERCLOCKED graphics card and it'll play games standalone? Sounds like a bargain. How do I install games onto a graphics card tho?
March 28, 2007 12:53:45 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

So you're telling me I can buy an 8800GTS EVGA SUPERCLOCKED graphics card and it'll play games standalone? Sounds like a bargain. How do I install games onto a graphics card tho?

oH SO YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT the ps3 would play games on its own no need for a TV :lol: 

Talk about being irrational :roll: oH another while you are at it just make me a spreadheet, write a letter ;
March 28, 2007 12:54:48 PM

The Battle of Middle Earth 2 port from PC to 360 left out "War of the Ring" mode and Custom Heroes and its more laggy during heavy screen fighting.
March 28, 2007 12:58:56 PM

That's it... try and get them off this argument :roll:
March 28, 2007 1:02:39 PM

Quote:
That's it... try and get them off this argument :roll:

I refuse to argue anymore it is degrading and pathetic and childish and ummmm..*looks at paper*

No more arguing GUYS :D  I DECLARE MYSELF THE WINNER NO MORE FIGHTING :lol: 

Nah you are right i am right he is right - they are all different opinions :D 

Forget about let just all be friends and get along :twisted: hehehee i am sooo evil :twisted: zEE DEVIL
March 28, 2007 1:05:29 PM

Yeah, screenshots that you found are pathetic.
Check these:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/857/857879/img_4373911.h...
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/857/857879/img_4336469.h...

It looks much better.

Quote:
Crap :lol:  . Dude i saw the screenshots they look so pathetic. The comparison is worse than comparing a ps2 game to a ps3 .

It looks like more of a PS game compared to a ps3 .

:lol:  PC gaming RULEZ :twisted: DONT MESS WITH THE DADDY :twisted:

XBOX360/PS3 to this

PC
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3MDk3...

Chalk and Cheese :lol: 
March 28, 2007 1:25:29 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

oH SO YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT the ps3 would play games on its own no need for a TV :lol: 

Talk about being irrational :roll: oH another while you are at it just make me a spreadheet, write a letter ;

Do you normally make stupid comments or is this a new direction in life for you? The argument is not totally black and white. A pc is vastly more expensive than a console however you get added functionality as well. But if you look at it from the perspective of using a pc only for gaming then saying a pc is more cost effective is ridiculous.
March 28, 2007 1:29:01 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

Srsly. I mean, who actually owns a TV?
March 28, 2007 1:31:23 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

Do you normally make stupid comments or is this a new direction in life for you? The argument is not totally black and white. A pc is vastly more expensive than a console however you get added functionality as well. But if you look at it from the perspective of using a pc only for gaming then saying a pc is more cost effective is ridiculous.

Who uses a PC for gaming ONLY :?: So you are telling me that a person who buys a highend gaming card can't use the PC for anything else :!: :!:

were you born daft or did you just make a career out of it . Even if a Pc is used for games only it will be cheaper over the life of a PS3 5 year life cycle.

PS3+hdtv+25 games =?$ yu do the math frigin werewolf :lol: 
March 28, 2007 1:36:40 PM

addict.. lay off the crack.. you sound like a babbling idiot. Seriously. I would leave this one alone because you've done nothing but proved that you have no clue about ANYTHING related to this post.
March 28, 2007 1:51:17 PM

Quote:
The 8800GTX is only 2x as powerful as an X1950XTX, which was far more powerful than the G71, but the PS3's G71 based "RSX" is a cut down version that only has half the ROPs and half the memory bandwidth.
March 28, 2007 1:52:47 PM

Your initial argument was that a gfx card was cheaper than a playstation. Hence the pc was obviously a better choice.

As a games platform only a pc is not cost effective versus a console. I'm also saying console here, not just PS3. So please bear in mind the Wii and 360 as well.

But if, as you so happily did, want to ignore my acknowledgment of the fact that a pc is not just a games machine then you also have to take into account other issues like a console not taking up a dedicated space in ones house never mind the mess none tech minded ppl make of their pc regularly. Take into account the simple plug and playability of a console and once again the pc loses out.

Then (and correct me here) but a HDTV is not a mandatory purchase to use a PS3 nor is the fact that you have to buy 25 games (and you have to buy them for the pc as well)

So put it simply. I want to play games. I already own a tv.

I pay whatever the amount for a console PS3 if you like + games and I can be playing within 10 minutes of getting it home.

Or balance the cost versus buying a pc for the first time.

I personally hate consoles by the way. I think they're a joke but then it irritates me when I see posts like yours where you attempt to steamroll over the opposition by talking out your arse. Yes pc's are better I agree with you regardless of their cost but being childish about it doesn't help your argument.
March 28, 2007 1:53:20 PM

I just want to say that screenshots are rarely a good indicator of how graphics look in person. They may be close, but they are never perfect. The only real way would be to set them up side by side and play them, which I doubt you have. The real reason to buy a ps3 would be for the exclusive games, and even though they don't have many left, there are ones that will be made they have no chance of being ported. God of War is a good example, it'll never be ported because its made by SCEA, and I imagine they are going to push out another sequel for ps3 due to the first 2 games sucess. Also the guys who made ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are in the japanese division of SCE, so as soon as they make a new game for ps3 I'll buy it.

The problem wih you is that you think people will buy a ps3 to play PC games like oblivion. I buy consoles to play console games, and I have an above average gaming rig for PC games. I don't have a ps3 yet because I don't want any of the games for it, and even if the graphics of the ps3 version of oblivion were 10x better than the 8800gtx I wouldn't buy it now cause oblivion bored the hell out of me.

BTW, I can use my 37" 1080p LCD for every console I own right now, and for my PC, so even if I had a ps3 owing all of the cost of the TV to it alone wouldn't really be fair.

I agree with everyone else. Maybe you have never built a high end gaming pc, so you've never felt the hit on your wallet, but I have several times, and there is no way in hell it would be cheaper to keep up to date on PC gaming than it would be to own a ps3 for 5 years. That is a ridiculous comment.
March 28, 2007 1:56:26 PM

This thread should be locked because of the excessive smiley face presence. Too much.
March 28, 2007 1:57:09 PM

hmm...this is a pretty dumb arguement but i will post on the cost aspect.

Highend gaming rig to play oblivion on max settings 2K+ (canadien prices)

ps3- 700 + $60 game
xbox360 - 600 + $60 game
tv - everyone already has one but for the sake of it 1200 for a hdtv

so 2k for a decent gameing rig to play oblivion on max setting and get decent frames or 760+1200=$1960 to play on a console on a much larger tele. so save 40-140 $ and get yourself a HDTV and a 360 or PS3.

please note i would perfer to have a gaming pc myself but that kinda money is not a option for me or most people. Also the highend gameing rig isn't even very highend here its 3-4k for a real highend system *IMO*

So yes sorry for any spelling/grammer errors, im at school and tryin not to get in trouble :)  and just thought i should post my 0.02$
March 28, 2007 2:29:04 PM

Quote:
This thread should be locked because of the excessive smiley face presence. Too much.

haha, but i got more to come :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  (dont say i didnt warn you!)
March 28, 2007 3:05:49 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: Another GD PC vs console thread. I don't care whether it's PC's are better than consoles or vice versa. Topics like this ALWAYS turn into flame wars that carry on for months and months (ie. the PS3 vs PC thread that keeps popping up. 23 pages and still going), bumping all the legitimate threads down. And as far as your arguement here goes, I think this says it all...

Quote:
addict.. lay off the crack.. you sound like a babbling idiot. Seriously. I would leave this one alone because you've done nothing but proved that you have no clue about ANYTHING related to this post.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
March 28, 2007 3:32:31 PM

I have a BFG 7800gs with a Pentium 4 3E GHz prescott, and the overall quality of Oblivion looks way better than the PS3 screenshot. The PS3 may have better hardware, but it's not showing. I wouldn't buy the PS3 anyways, $600 and then another $2000 for a tv. I'd rather spend that $2000 on my computer that I can do more with. But the one-time fee for a console makes them worth it; $600 for 3-5 years, rather than constantly spending money for new processors, new gpus, etc.
March 28, 2007 3:49:52 PM

It is suffice to say that slashzapper missed the short bus today. Don't worry son, it'll stop again tomorrow.
March 28, 2007 3:52:14 PM

Don't bother answering him, he comes with some strange sounding arguments and when you comment on those (rightfully or wrongfully) he will just end up throwing insults around.
March 28, 2007 4:23:26 PM

hahaha, im not biased either way towards pc or consoles, but you guys need to get your facts straight. Im sick of people comparing the two when it comes to hardware

first of all, you cant compare same hardware in a pc to the same hardware in a console because the console will always perform better due to the fact that its architecture and everything was designed for gaming.

think of the xbox it had what a 733mhz pentium 3 with a geforce 3ish/4is card and 64mb ram

now think of games like slinter cell 3, halo and halo 2, they all ran very well on the xbox,

on pc the recommended requirements were:
SP3:

Minimum(to run the game like shit) - pentium 3, 256mb ram, and a 32mb vid ram video card

Recommended: 1.2ghz processor, geforce 3, 512mb ram, im sure with these specs the game still ran like shit

Halo: recommended: 1.4ghz processor, 512mb ram, geforce ti 4200
these specs were to play smoothly at 800x600

Halo 2: suggested specs are 2ghz processor, 1gb ram, and a decent dx9 card

oh and dont forget half life 2

recommended: 2.4ghz processor, 512mb ram, dx9 card

and that was to run the game at low-low medium settings

so the next time you get in an argument whether or not pc is better because it has better specs you better check your facts.

and also you cant compare unlike screenshots, its like hey look my baseball bat is better than your golf club

you cant even compare the two

and one more thing, oblivion looks better on the ps3 because the upped the texture resolutions, so remember those blurry and crappy distance textures? well they arent crappy on the ps3

sure you can mod oblivion on the pc to make it look great, but you have to compare similar content. when comparing oblivion on a ps3 vs a pc you have to compare like scenes
March 28, 2007 4:44:25 PM

Quote:

XBOX360/PS3 to this

mmk, here we have a PC port to console.
image 1: is grey out, in a town, uses dull greys and other non unique coloring, no people are close by, there are shadows.

image2: during the day, a person is in the face, and your further down the road then image 1.

too dissimilar to compare these images to each other

Now i'd think HardOCP would be better than this, then turned off grass and ran a lower res. on the x1950. With my x1900 i can run 1680x1200 with grass. I question the testing done by HardOCP and there test becomes irrelevant to me

i'm sure no doubt that the 8800 pwns Oblivion, but these are bad examples to make a point on. Besides the PS3 is expected to price drop to $500 here shortly. For those who have a limited budget a $500-$600 console is a great gaming system that gives them near a high end systems gaming potential. For thos of us who can afford to blow $1000+ on PC parts will always have a superior gaming system. Thats the difference
March 28, 2007 4:48:55 PM

Quote:

ONLY TWICE AS POWERFUL :lol:  dude you are misinformed big time . The 8800 is a beast compared to the Mouse in the PS3 :lol: 

Fair deal are you kidding 8O Please give me the notion of a fair deal according to you :lol: 

total savings of 360$ .

That is not a fair comparison. The 8800 is useless on its own. It needs a PC to go with it.
March 28, 2007 5:20:50 PM

I know the ps2 when it came out was $300 and I know for six years I got way more than $300 worth out of that machine compared to computer I know that the ps3 is twice as much but you can always get the $500 one. All I'm saying is that for as long as I will own and play ps3 it will be worth $600 for a whole game system, and besides the games are just going to get better and better and Oblivion could look a lot better than it looks now if they just made it use the ps3 hardware better, everyone know that the first ps2 games look like crap compared to the more recent ones.
March 28, 2007 6:16:43 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

Please help! I was going to buy a PS3 but then thought I'd get an 8800GTS instead to save money, like you were saying. The thing is that it didn't come with a case. I think it's supposed to slot into something, but I don't understand what?. Does it need a SCART socket? Where do I plug the power lead in? The manual says something about PCI express slots, but I can't find any on my TV.
March 28, 2007 6:41:35 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

So you're telling me I can buy an 8800GTS EVGA SUPERCLOCKED graphics card and it'll play games standalone? Sounds like a bargain. How do I install games onto a graphics card tho? So your tellin me i can buy a ps3 and play games without a tv ? (not to mention you need high def for somewhat comparable qulity) sounds like a bargin, if your blind...
March 28, 2007 7:01:18 PM

Quote:

total savings of 360$ .

So you're telling me I can buy an 8800GTS EVGA SUPERCLOCKED graphics card and it'll play games standalone? Sounds like a bargain. How do I install games onto a graphics card tho? So your tellin me i can buy a ps3 and play games without a tv ? (not to mention you need high def for somewhat comparable qulity) sounds like a bargin, if your blind...

Show of hands... how many people trying to decide between a PC or a PS3 DO NOT own a TV? Mmmm... that's what I thought.
March 28, 2007 7:11:08 PM

Please this is plain retarded, the consoles and PCs shouldn't even be compared.

1.) PC gaming is NOT cost effective in any way, it is obviously much MUCH MORE expensive than console gaming, so don't even try to justify this.

2.) PCs can and obviously have ACCESS (mind you, i didn't say all PCs have this hardware) to upgrade paths and superior hardware than X or Y console. This is another point that shouldn't even be discussed since it's so obvious, not everyone has access to this hardware, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there for sale.

3.) If I'm not mistaken consoles run with a fixed frame rate (30fps most of the time? not sure and drops lower depending on the onscreen action), fixed settings, and fixed resolutions (which none of these are the maximum settings) with usually optimized coding for a somewhat good gaming experience, however PC users usually strive for the 60fps+ barrier, maxing out settings, and resolutions for bleeding edge graphics, smooth gameplay, and an overall better experience. The latter are things the console gamer does not have anything to worry about, since they just pop the disc in and play.

This is all justified by "you get what you paid for" rule, console gamers get preset settings and performance for their consoles, while PCs have a wide choice of hardware available to get improved (and superior) graphics, extremely smooth gameplay, and an overall different experience.

You may ask why should anyone buy a console then? there are money issues, also playing console games with your friends in the couch is completely different than playing on PC games online mode.

If you're still blind enough to compare them, please just don't bother, think of them as different types of entertainment. Console gamers like good graphics, but they don't care about breaking the 100fps barrier with extremely high res or maxed out settings, because they didn't pay for that, they paid to be entertained.

Personally, I used to play only consoles, but now I'm into PCs, as I said before, it is a different type of videogaming. To be honest I rather blow $1500 on a PC and $600 on a PS3 than $2000 on a PC or $600 on a PS3 and $1500 on an HDTV. That way I can use my PC for most of my hardcore needs, but when I have friends over or got any exclusives to play, I can just use a PS3.
!