newyawker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I am upgrading my computer by adding a second hard drive (250 g) and will only be using the current hard drive (120 g) for the OS and my software programs. I have heard that it is better to partition the drive and load XP in its own partition. I have XP home.

If that is true, I have the following questions:

1. What impact if any, will that have on performance?
2. How big should the partition be?
3. Where should I locate the swap file?

Any other suggestions that might enhance performance?

Thanks

sturm

Splendid
My normal config on large drives.

C: 20gig OS, Office, some small utility programs.
D: 2 gig Swap file
E: Storage or Games and other programs
or
F: 2nd hard drive for Games and other programs

Answer to questions:
1. I do it this way to make it easier to reinstall windows if needed. Save all important stuff on seperate partition. Having programs on a 2nd hard drive on a seperate channel will help with performance.

2. I have found that 20 gig is more than enough for just windows. Might even go down to 10 gig. Like to leave room to defrag and download updates.

3. Locating the swap file on another drive or partition doesnt really speed your computer up. Have read many test on this. I do it to help cut down on fragmentation. Plus I set the swap file to a static size.

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Sturm,

Is there a setting in windows where the default install path can be changed to another drive?

Also, after installing, say your games, on a drive isolated from the OS. When the OS has to be reinstalled, will you have to reinstall the games again?

sturm

Splendid
Not sure on the default install path.

Unfortuneatly yes you will need to reinstall the games since the registry settings will be lost. Some games may work just fine without a reinstall.
I put the games on a seperate drive for speed reasons and defragging.
I only reinstall windows if I really have problems with it. My current install is going on a year and a half. I have another computer that is going on 3 years.

TheHobbit

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
You will need a registry hack to change the default install path. Usually can be done with a tweaking program. x-setup can do this for you. Its free for 30 days.

With regards to the placing of Windows XP, it all depends on what you will be using your computer for?

Video Editing.

Install Windows on 1st Disk. Partition this disk if you want.
Use the 2nd disk as the data disk for the video files. DO NOT partition.

Office/Internet/Gaming

Install Windows on 1st Disk. Partition this disk if you want.
On 2nd Disk, create partition of around 5 gig at the start of the disk. Use this partion to place your swap file. Partition the rest of the disk as you see fit.

On all of the above, im assuming you will be using the smaller 120 gig drive as the 1st drive.

Alternative Partitioning

Install Windows on 1st Disk. Partition this as you wish.
Create 5 gig partition at start of 2nd disk for swap file.
Create 40-50 gig partition either on 2nd disk to install applications, etc.
Use 1st Disk to store date.

Im assuming you will be using the 250gig disk as the 1st disk here.

Other suggestions are to

a. buy another 250gig hdd drive and run it a raid configuration.
b. dont install programs unless you cant live without it (the more programs, the slower your machine... not by much on each install, but it all mounts up in the end)
c. buy decent defragmentation software and keep your drives defragged. Windows defrag isnt really upto much.
d. Disable uneeded system tray software (you probably dont need it all running)
e Use nLite to strip windows of software bloat and slimstream drivers, sp2, etc in one go.