Power still flowing after shutdown

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I'm not really sure how to describe this, but the power still seems to be flowing to everything after I shut down the machine. After shutdown, the fans will turn on, and the LED's that are in the case will turn on for a few seconds, then go back off. This cycles for about 15-20 minutes at minimum (i pulled the plug after that long). Even after pulling the plug though, the cycle will repeat itself for about 5 or 6 times.

Is my computer possessed? I have never seen or heard of anything like this.

I am also unable to turn the computer back on, except with some unplugging and plugging back in action, repeatedly. Is my PSU going?? I just got the damn thing :-/

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Wait, so even after you pull the plug out of the wall, there's no power going to the unit, LEDs and fans will still turn on? Yeah, your computer might be possessed.

Capacitors will hold a charge for a while, so theres a chance your psu would have enough power, even after it's unplugged, to power a couple LEDs and fans. It's unlikely, but possible.

Since your having trouble turning your computer on as well I would just RMA the psu. I mean, better safe then sorry right?

Ive never heard of anything like this happening either.

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Wait, so even after you pull the plug out of the wall, there's no power going to the unit, LEDs and fans will still turn on? Yeah, your computer might be possessed.

Capacitors will hold a charge for a while, so theres a chance your psu would have enough power, even after it's unplugged, to power a couple LEDs and fans. It's unlikely, but possible.

That is exactly what I thought. It is REALLY weird that everything still has power flowing to it intermittently after I PULL THE PLUG. Blah, stupidness to the max. Gotta pay UPS 10 bucks too.

hclu

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
[/quote]It's the power supply. But you don't have to change the power supply as long as the PC still work. Just un-plug the computer when you are not using it.

I fixed 2 Antec power supplies that do this. A small (47 micro-Farad) aluminum electrolytic capacitor fails (or close to fail) in the stand-by 5V circuit and caused it. Since it's in the standby 5V part of the circuit, as long as you can still power it up, the PC will still work normally.

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
It's the power supply. But you don't have to change the power supply as long as the PC still work. Just un-plug the computer when you are not using it.

I fixed 2 Antec power supplies that do this. A small (47 micro-Farad) aluminum electrolytic capacitor fails (or close to fail) in the stand-by 5V circuit and caused it. Since it's in the standby 5V part of the circuit, as long as you can still power it up, the PC will still work normally.

That's the problem, I have no qualls about unplugging it when not in use, but when I plug it back in, it starts back up doing the cycle of on/off and I can't power it back on without a lot of jiggling and unplugging and plugging back in etc...

hclu

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
but when I plug it back in, it starts back up doing the cycle of on/off

Try turn it on the moment you plug it back in. The PC gets messed up by this cycling on and off. Don't give it time to do that.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I'll try that when I get home, thanks for the advice. Either way, I am ready to ship it back if necessary :(

yah why keepp the damn thing if it dont work rite?? just rma it, i dont suggest u pop the thing open and soder some new logic chips into that, who the hells wants to do that with something they just bought which should work

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It also could be the power switch on your case. I'd try removing the case switch leads from the MOBO pins, short the pins manually to start the system, then shut down via the OS.

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
It's not the button on the case, I took of the panel and tried starting it manually from the mobo itself and even that failed to do anything.

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
The PSU may not be your only problem. The motherboard may be to blame as well. The PSU isn't going to come on and unless the motherboard tells it to. Both may be damaged.

Upon more testing, I think it is the motherboard. My brother who has the same mobo is experiencing the same problems. I also noticed that if I kinda hit the side panel with the mobo, it'll stop and then I can power it in, but... it doesn't do anything, everything powers up, but no bios, nothing... new mobo?? yeah... probably...

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I figure it can't be that bad if it's making it work! kinda...

Either way, I have come to the conclusion that it is most likely the mobo anyway... so it's getting replaced. Don't worry, it's not like I sit around and beat up the panel with my mobo regurally, this was the first time I have done it, hah.