Bubacus

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I just built a new PC. I grabbed my old IDE hard drive as a back up and used my new SATA drive as the primary. The IDE hard drive already had a copy of windows, and a whole lotta other stuff I wanted to keep. I installed Win XP and what happened is that the install kept the IDE drive labeled as C and the SATA as F. After I loaded up windows, I deleted the copy of windows on the IDE drive. Before windows loads, I kept getting the screen that gives you a choice of what OS to load. To try and by pass that screen I disconnected the IDE drive, and I got an error message on the post.....Boot Disk Not Found, Please Insert Boot Disk and press any Key. So I tried to reattach the hard drive, it still did not boot.

My Question, can I avoid having to reinstall XP again some how? Is there a way to boot just from the F Drive?

If I reformat,This time around I would just have the SATA in place and then add on the IDE latter. No biggie if I have to re-install.

Thanks

Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
EVGA 7800 GT CO
2 GIGs OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
Maxtor 200 gig 7800 SATA
Maxtor 120 gig 7800 IDE

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Procedures you should have done:

Disconnect the IDE temporarily.
Install new XP on the SATA; and get it running perfectly with all the procedures that entails.
Change boot order in BIOS to show first hard drive to be the SATA (Rom & floppy always should be first & second).
Reconnect the IDE.

Redo the SATA drive as per above. But first, delete the partition on the SATA using fdisk from a 98 boot floppy. Be sure to ESC out and reboot to effect changes. DO NOT FORMAT HERE!

Pop in the XP, and do a fresh install opting for the long NTFS format during the install process.

fedude

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
Is there any way to just stop the OS selection screen from coming up or is a complete reformat/reinstall his only choice.

I have the same problem....