Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unlocked Phone - How Do You Tell?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 28, 2004 12:51:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
it is locked or unlocked?

Dick

More about : unlocked phone

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ul33t0p24d5ubkldami7sdoihk4n1biosd@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33
-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>it is locked or unlocked?

Try a SIM from a different carrier.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 28, 2004 9:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:43:09 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <ul33t0p24d5ubkldami7sdoihk4n1biosd@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33
>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>>it is locked or unlocked?
>
>Try a SIM from a different carrier.

But, what if I don't have a SIM from another carrier?
Related resources
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:37:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <6fg3t0h0vhq1o3qj8u8m8uqr4s6q2ir0tk@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:28:51
-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:43:09 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <ul33t0p24d5ubkldami7sdoihk4n1biosd@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33
>>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>>
>>>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>>>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>>>it is locked or unlocked?
>>
>>Try a SIM from a different carrier.
>
>But, what if I don't have a SIM from another carrier?

There aren't any T-Mobile dealers in your area?

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 29, 2004 1:37:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:37:22 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <6fg3t0h0vhq1o3qj8u8m8uqr4s6q2ir0tk@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:28:51
>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:43:09 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>>In <ul33t0p24d5ubkldami7sdoihk4n1biosd@4ax.com> on Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33
>>>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>>>>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>>>>it is locked or unlocked?
>>>
>>>Try a SIM from a different carrier.
>>
>>But, what if I don't have a SIM from another carrier?
>
>There aren't any T-Mobile dealers in your area?

Yes, there are. I suppose I could find a friendly one.
December 29, 2004 11:34:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>it is locked or unlocked?

If you use cingular and put your SIM in the handset if it works it's
either made for cingular or it's unlocked. If you can get your hands
on other SIMs from known different carriers if you insert different
SIMs from different carriers and they are not rejected it's unlocked.
If you get the message "SIM rejected" or similar it's locked to a
carrier. If you're buying a handset such as in an ebay auction you'd
better ask about the history of the phone and whether it's locked or
unlocked. An unlocked phone is of no use to you unless it's either
locked to your present carrier or is unlocked so that you can use any
carrier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
December 30, 2004 1:02:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:34:44 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:51:33 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>I keep seeing posts about unlocked phones. We are expecting delivery
>>on a new, Cingular V551 phone in the next few days. How can I tell if
>>it is locked or unlocked?
>
>If you use cingular and put your SIM in the handset if it works it's
>either made for cingular or it's unlocked. If you can get your hands
>on other SIMs from known different carriers if you insert different
>SIMs from different carriers and they are not rejected it's unlocked.
>If you get the message "SIM rejected" or similar it's locked to a
>carrier. If you're buying a handset such as in an ebay auction you'd
>better ask about the history of the phone and whether it's locked or
>unlocked. An unlocked phone is of no use to you unless it's either
>locked to your present carrier or is unlocked so that you can use any
>carrier.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
get it.

Dick
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
news:js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com...
SNIP

> This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
> I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
> another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
> get it.
>
> Dick

Hopefully the UPS guy isn't using it to call his relatives in Europe in the
meantime...LOL

TC
December 31, 2004 2:36:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

..> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> news:js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com...
> SNIP
>
> > This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
> > I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
> > another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
> > get it.
> >
> > Dick


You probably already received it. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.
December 31, 2004 2:36:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:36:14 GMT, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
wrote:

>
>.> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> news:js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com...
>> SNIP
>>
>> > This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
>> > I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
>> > another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
>> > get it.
>> >
>> > Dick
>
>
>You probably already received it. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.

Actually, no. It sat in Kentucky for four days over Christmas without
moving. It finally make it to Phoenix tonight. Might get it
tomorrow. If not, Monday which is the schedule. It has been on the
road eight days now. UPS ground is not the swiftest, but it's
reliable.

Dick
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:36:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

We got almost two feet of snow in ky last week and this state doesn't know
how to handle it. some of the main highways were closed for two or three
days.


Shawn


"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
news:tnh9t0hnjo1upjf9vmi5m6vvmhmvfvgsv6@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:36:14 GMT, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>.> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>>> news:js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com...
>>> SNIP
>>>
>>> > This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
>>> > I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
>>> > another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
>>> > get it.
>>> >
>>> > Dick
>>
>>
>>You probably already received it. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.
>
> Actually, no. It sat in Kentucky for four days over Christmas without
> moving. It finally make it to Phoenix tonight. Might get it
> tomorrow. If not, Monday which is the schedule. It has been on the
> road eight days now. UPS ground is not the swiftest, but it's
> reliable.
>
> Dick
December 31, 2004 2:36:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

And I thought the UPS drivers were just taking the days off for
Christmas. :-)

Dick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:12:09 -0600, "SHAWN MURPHY"
<binderhoff@adelphia.net> wrote:

>We got almost two feet of snow in ky last week and this state doesn't know
>how to handle it. some of the main highways were closed for two or three
>days.
>
>
>Shawn
>
>
>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>news:tnh9t0hnjo1upjf9vmi5m6vvmhmvfvgsv6@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:36:14 GMT, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>.> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>>>> news:js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com...
>>>> SNIP
>>>>
>>>> > This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
>>>> > I received tonight, it's already activated. Not sure I like that with
>>>> > another week to wait for UPS, but at least it will be working when I
>>>> > get it.
>>>> >
>>>> > Dick
>>>
>>>
>>>You probably already received it. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.
>>
>> Actually, no. It sat in Kentucky for four days over Christmas without
>> moving. It finally make it to Phoenix tonight. Might get it
>> tomorrow. If not, Monday which is the schedule. It has been on the
>> road eight days now. UPS ground is not the swiftest, but it's
>> reliable.
>>
>> Dick
>
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:24:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:02:54
-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
>I received tonight, it's already activated. ...

There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be activated.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 31, 2004 7:24:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:32 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <js27t0pv264m1804kocpo2nqpn5hkb4cu6@4ax.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:02:54
>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>This is a new phone purchased through Amazon.com, and from the message
>>I received tonight, it's already activated. ...
>
>There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be activated.

That's what I thought, but they used the terminology, "activated" and
gave me the new phone number. Does that simply mean that the first
time I turn the phone on with the SIM inside that it will recognize
itself on the network without further action by me?
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <l42bt0l1qbl8p5r3mh42sb412a5t0pubbv@4ax.com> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:14:49
-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:32 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be activated.
>
>That's what I thought, but they used the terminology, "activated" and
>gave me the new phone number.

The phone number is associated with the SIM, not the phone.

>Does that simply mean that the first
>time I turn the phone on with the SIM inside that it will recognize
>itself on the network without further action by me?

Yes, if the SIM is active (and if the phone isn't blacklisted as stolen).

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 31, 2004 8:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:52:00 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <l42bt0l1qbl8p5r3mh42sb412a5t0pubbv@4ax.com> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:14:49
>-0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:32 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be activated.
>>
>>That's what I thought, but they used the terminology, "activated" and
>>gave me the new phone number.
>
>The phone number is associated with the SIM, not the phone.
>
>>Does that simply mean that the first
>>time I turn the phone on with the SIM inside that it will recognize
>>itself on the network without further action by me?
>
>Yes, if the SIM is active (and if the phone isn't blacklisted as stolen).

I would sure hope that Amazon.com doesn't deal in stolen phones.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 9:19:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:4lgBd.15756$_3.181312@typhoon.sonic.net...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <l42bt0l1qbl8p5r3mh42sb412a5t0pubbv@4ax.com> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004
10:14:49
> -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:32 GMT, John Navas
> ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >>There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be
activated.
> >
> >That's what I thought, but they used the terminology, "activated" and
> >gave me the new phone number.
>
> The phone number is associated with the SIM, not the phone.
>
> >Does that simply mean that the first
> >time I turn the phone on with the SIM inside that it will recognize
> >itself on the network without further action by me?
>
> Yes, if the SIM is active (and if the phone isn't blacklisted as stolen


Actually he will have to activate the SIM through the IVR process which will
be explained in the paperwork he recieves with his new handset.

The phone is most likely through a Cingualr authorized Dealer. CAD's set
their own handset pricing by dealing directly with the manufacturer. They
just re-sell the cellular/data services. Therefore if you have any problems
with your handset you will have to either deal with the manufacturer or the
authorized dealer.

Good Luck! :) 

--
SS
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <33m8m0F40df92U1@individual.net> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:19:30 -0600,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:4lgBd.15756$_3.181312@typhoon.sonic.net...
>>
>> In <l42bt0l1qbl8p5r3mh42sb412a5t0pubbv@4ax.com> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004
>10:14:49
>> -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>>
>> >On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:32 GMT, John Navas
>> ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> >>There is no activation of GSM phones -- only the SIM needs to be activated.

>> >Does that simply mean that the first
>> >time I turn the phone on with the SIM inside that it will recognize
>> >itself on the network without further action by me?
>>
>> Yes, if the SIM is active (and if the phone isn't blacklisted as stolen
>
>Actually he will have to activate the SIM through the IVR process which will
>be explained in the paperwork he recieves with his new handset.

Read the entire thread -- he said the phone (presumably actually the SIM) was
already activated.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!