Sign in with
Your question

Issues with newly built comp - Help Please!

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2007 3:02:48 PM

I built my computer yesterday, booted it up and everything was working fine. Updated windows and drivers and such, played music, had some fun and turned it off before I went to sleep. Woke up this morning, turned comp on and there's the monitor is getting no signal. Tried a different monitor, no signal. There's no beeps from mobo, all the fans are running.. and I don't have another PCI 16x graphics card to switch and see if that's the problem.

Comp:
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775
ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (4 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
video card: EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO
psu: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

any ideas on what the hell is wrong? thanks for any help in advance!
March 28, 2007 3:11:09 PM

Do you have access to another computer you could use the check the GPU? Also, unplug everything and if you have to sticks of RAM remove one and see what happens. Try each stick of RAM separately.
March 28, 2007 3:18:24 PM

Don't have anything that will fit PCI 16x, only my laptop and old 6600gt agp comp.. checking ram now
Related resources
March 28, 2007 3:24:55 PM

sounds like the vid card may have taken a crap'
suggest trying another vid card in your system
March 28, 2007 3:28:32 PM

tried ram, no beeps with no ram, and tried all 4 sticks individually..no beeps
March 28, 2007 3:35:24 PM

:arrow: reset your bios
March 28, 2007 3:38:03 PM

If you're getting no beeps when you start the computer, do you have the sound plugged in, usually a 4 pin connector where you plug in the Power Swtich, etc? Again, while it sounds like the video card, if you know someone with a computer with PCI X16, I'd plug the card in to make sure. Could be the mobo or CPU so you want to make sure it's the video card.
March 28, 2007 3:44:35 PM

Clear the CMOS. That may do the trick. Mine did the same thing, I cleared the CMOS and everything was OK. If you're OC'ing, reset the BIOS to factory defaults if clearing the CMOS doesn't work.

EDIT: Also, make sure you flash to the latest BIOS once you're up and running if you haven't done so already.
March 28, 2007 3:57:19 PM

Hello

i know you do not have display. is your hd loading windows . do you hear any sound from hd. try reseat your video card and reset your cmos. try to boot with a single memory also. see if helps.

Good luck.
March 28, 2007 4:12:04 PM

pos mobo didnt come with a jumper so i tied a little copper wire around the clear cmos. turned on power, turned off, took wire off and ended up getting no signal to video card still. never cleared cmos before, you just short them by connecting the 2 pins with a wire and turn on the power? no devices will boot up while youre shorting the cmos, correct? just wanna make sure i did it right
March 28, 2007 4:30:16 PM

Quote:
pos mobo didnt come with a jumper so i tied a little copper wire around the clear cmos. turned on power, turned off, took wire off and ended up getting no signal to video card still. never cleared cmos before, you just short them by connecting the 2 pins with a wire and turn on the power? no devices will boot up while youre shorting the cmos, correct? just wanna make sure i did it right

Are you saying you do not have a little plastic cap covering two of the three CMOS pins? To clear the CMOS you should just have to move the cap to the open pin after turning off the computer. Usually you do not turn the machine on until you reset the cap. The computer should be unplugged when you do this. On some machine you should take out the battery as well. Some newer mobo have a little button you press to clear the CMOS.
March 28, 2007 4:37:05 PM

If you don't have the jumper, then unplug your maching and take the battery out. Wait about 30 min., put the battery back in and turn the machine on.

It's hard to believe your motherboard doesn't come with a jumper pin. Really try to look for that. On the 680i, it's toward the bottom right of the board. Should be a plastic cap covering two of three pins. Unplug your machine, move the cap over so that you cover the open pin, then move it back and turn the computer back on.

Hope that does the trick for ya. It's a bummer having to deal with these issues.
March 28, 2007 5:13:38 PM

Took out the battery now.

Mobo is the Gigabyte 965P-DS3, the clear cmos is only two pins.

from the manual: To clear the CMOS, temporarily short the two pins. Default doesn't include the jumper to avoid improper use of this header.

so yea..no jumper, but I took one off other computer and cleared cmos that way, still no luck. I'll try the battery and if that doesn't work ill return the card and get a different one.

Heading off to work in about 10 minutes, thanks for all your help guys, I'll keep you up to date.
March 28, 2007 6:09:14 PM

I had a similar problem with my new ATI x1950. Exactly the same issues you have. It turns out that it does not sit quite perfect in the slot. I actually bent the tab where the securing screw goes in so it would sit deeper and problems gone. except now I need to figure out how to secure it or get a better case. I have seen similar issues with other video cards/cases.

It might be worth a try if you can't try another video card.

Ken
March 30, 2007 8:34:48 PM

Well, I got a brand new video card and it still doesn't work. Tried two monitors, both aren't getting any signal. Taking out the battery and resetting mobo didn't do anything either. I'm completely out of ideas.
March 30, 2007 8:38:45 PM

I'm all out of ideas as well. I'd RMA the motherboard and get a new one. That motherboard is supposed to be a good one, but shiznit happens unfortunately.
March 30, 2007 9:28:36 PM

stupid roomate threw out the antistatic bag that the mobo came in, it matter if i RMA it back to newegg without it? what should i put it in?
March 30, 2007 10:45:19 PM

Just call Newegg customer support and ask them. Actually, I think they also have instruction on the site for how to do it under the "My Account" area.
March 30, 2007 11:16:10 PM

Not sure how NewEgg handles RMA's, but usually they send you the new part, and you send the faulty back in the same package, which your new part comes in. Should have like a peel off for a return to UPS or Fedex on the same package. That's how I've done RMA's in the past.

Only advise I was going to give, was trying to run the MB outside the PC case.

GL with the RMA.
March 30, 2007 11:27:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure how NewEgg handles RMA's, but usually they send you the new part, and you send the faulty back in the same package, which your new part comes in. Should have like a peel off for a return to UPS or Fedex on the same package. That's how I've done RMA's in the past.

Only advise I was going to give, was trying to run the MB outside the PC case.

GL with the RMA.

With newegg you have to send the part back and once they receive and inspect it, they'll send the new one.
March 31, 2007 1:02:32 AM

8O . o O (oooph...)

Well, I learned something new today. I've never had an RMA to NewEgg yet. Hope I never will.. (knocks on wood) :lol: 
March 31, 2007 12:47:50 PM

While an RMA is always a PITA, neweegg is not that bad other than the time and shipping cost back. One option is to print and UPS shipping label and pay on line with a credit card. Not sure how the cost compares to the U S Post Office but unfortunately likely to find out some day :cry: 
!