Trading Pokemon on GBA

Is it possible to trade pokemon from Blue, Red, and Yellow games, using
two GBA SP's and a linking cable?
I thought it should be, and I've done everything to set it up, but it
always seems that one of us gets asked to save the game, and then are
told to wait, for several seconds. Then, the game tells that player the
link has been broken due to inactivity (or something close to that).
Meanwhile, during all that, the other player gets the same message from
the trading desk in the pokecenter. It just tells them that this place
is for trading pokemon and you can connect here with another player,
blah, blah, blah. The same thing it tells you when you are not
connected at all.
I've tried two different cables, same results. So, what are we doing
wrong? Can anyone tell me the exact steps to do a trade by cable? Do
both players need to initiate and start the trade at the same time, or
does one start and then while waiting, the other player do it? It seems
like I have tried it both ways and still get the same results.
I've about decided something is wrong with the games, cables, or maybe
we just can't use the old carts on the GBA SP? Please advise! Thanks.

Astronomersmith

Astronomer Smith <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in news:11cfmbpjldl5366
@corp.supernews.com:

> Is it possible to trade pokemon from Blue, Red, and Yellow games, using
> two GBA SP's and a linking cable?
Not with a GBA cable no, sorry.
Ted
--
Stare to long into the abyss and the abyss looks like a nifty place to
hide the bodies

clayton

"Astronomer Smith" <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to trade pokemon from Blue, Red, and Yellow games, using
> two GBA SP's and a linking cable?
> I thought it should be, and I've done everything to set it up, but it
> always seems that one of us gets asked to save the game, and then are
> told to wait, for several seconds. Then, the game tells that player the
> link has been broken due to inactivity (or something close to that).
> Meanwhile, during all that, the other player gets the same message from
> the trading desk in the pokecenter. It just tells them that this place
> is for trading pokemon and you can connect here with another player,
> blah, blah, blah. The same thing it tells you when you are not
> connected at all.
> I've tried two different cables, same results. So, what are we doing
> wrong? Can anyone tell me the exact steps to do a trade by cable? Do
> both players need to initiate and start the trade at the same time, or
> does one start and then while waiting, the other player do it? It seems
> like I have tried it both ways and still get the same results.
> I've about decided something is wrong with the games, cables, or maybe
> we just can't use the old carts on the GBA SP? Please advise! Thanks.

Nope, protocols are different. While the plugs are the same, there's
something
different between GBC and GBA linking. It's probably software-related since
the cables can be used on either. Don't fully know and I don't really want
take my GBC apart to find out.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
When your opponent is down, kick him.

Bummer.

Well, thanks for straightening me out on this! I was wondering if I was
just doing something wrong. I have battled with a friend's son on the
GBA's, he had Ruby and I had Sapphire. I guess if my nephew and I want
to trade or battle on the old games, we would have to get old GB's? I
don't see that happening.

Thanks again.

Astronomersmith

> Bummer.
>
> Well, thanks for straightening me out on this! I was wondering if I was
> just doing something wrong. I have battled with a friend's son on the
> GBA's, he had Ruby and I had Sapphire. I guess if my nephew and I want
> to trade or battle on the old games, we would have to get old GB's? I
> don't see that happening.

Shouldn't have to. I've hooked up an old GBC oto the older-style GBA,
trading between Silver and Blue and it worked all right. You may need to
ind a cable compatible with the GBC.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline: