Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Optimum partition size on 1 TB Hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
July 23, 2011 8:51:15 PM

Considering a self build project : Intel E5700
CPU 2 X 2 Gig Ram 1 TB SATA HDD. What would be the optimum partition size for the Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OS
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 8:55:20 PM

Just let W7 do its thing. Select your 1TB drive, it will create a system partition of 100-200MB for system diagnostics etc and the rest for you.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 9:08:35 PM

+1^

What is your objective in partitioning?
What do you want to do with the other space?
Plan for that, if anything, and give the rest to w7.

Or... if you are planning on getting a SSD allocate spece equivalent to the size of your planned ssd, perhaps 120-240gb.
That way, you can clone the os partition easier.
Score
Related resources
July 23, 2011 10:44:42 PM

geofelt said:
+1^

What is your objective in partitioning?
What do you want to do with the other space?
Plan for that, if anything, and give the rest to w7.

Or... if you are planning on getting a SSD allocate spece equivalent to the size of your planned ssd, perhaps 120-240gb.
That way, you can clone the os partition easier.

I run Graphics Design software from Serif got the latest Web Plus X5 Draw Plus X5 and Page Plus X5 also got a free copy
of Paragon Hard disc Manager 2011 Suite for my cheek. Just realy want to make my self build as eficient as pos
with an eye to the future on a very tight budget. I am curently Running Vista home premium on single core board with 2 gig ram 160 GB HDD. The X5 serif software Titles recommend dual core system for best compromise speed vs file size
issues. Hence the self build aspiration. Lack of resources means i can only do this if i plan for the future three to five years before i could upgrade. Also considdering SSD for faster boot but unsure on mounting SSD internaly and weather
the board will accomodate it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 10:55:32 PM

Efficiency comes at the expense of flexibility.
The main reason to partition a hard drive for an os partition is the expectation that you will have to reformat that partition and reload the os from time to time. Usually because of things like malware or viruses.
My thought is to just use the whole drive, and plan on backing up your critical data to an external hard drive.

As to a self build, any current sandy bridge cpu, even the lowest priced G620 sual core($80) will be many times more effective than whatever you have.
But, consider looking at a pre built pc. At the low end, they are hard to beat.

If you want to build it yourself, and I think the experience is priceless, give us a budget and what you think you need.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 4:10:18 AM

-I'd use 64 GB min ..... 128 GB max. With an SSD I put the page file on same drive, w/ HD I make a separate one so as to keep it at the front (fastest) part of the disk. Another nice thing about that is when windows has a failure / re-start up issue where it failed in the middle of a write, it usually wants to CheckDisk the area with the temp and page file, ya want it doing the whole 1 TB sitting and watching it or ya want it doing a small tiny partition ?

And yes of course, a fudged OS install is easily replaced when its on it's own separate partition, preferably imaged to an external or tail end of the HD as a backup.
July 31, 2011 3:11:55 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
-I'd use 64 GB min ..... 128 GB max. With an SSD I put the page file on same drive, w/ HD I make a separate one so as to keep it at the front (fastest) part of the disk. Another nice thing about that is when windows has a failure / re-start up issue where it failed in the middle of a write, it usually wants to CheckDisk the area with the temp and page file, ya want it doing the whole 1 TB sitting and watching it or ya want it doing a small tiny partition ?

And yes of course, a fudged OS install is easily replaced when its on it's own separate partition, preferably imaged to an external or tail end of the HD as a backup.

Hi JackNaylorPE, thanks for your reply and good tip on the Page File on the HD.

I am going to vote you as best answer. No reflection on you other Members who answered this Query
but i laughed out loud when i read Jacks footnote about the man in the forest. Thanks all of you.
Score
July 31, 2011 3:12:19 PM

Best answer selected by cmoprint.
Score
a c 408 $ Windows 7
August 1, 2011 12:10:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!