twhitt

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I'm trying to reinstall the OS on my desktop, and I've been running into some problems with XP.

I own an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro edition, and have a unique legit key for it. What I don't have is the install disk that came with this key. The disk was broken, and I'm still in posession of the pieces but they're quite useless. I have other install disks laying about, most of them associated with some sort of enterprise edition with unlimited keys and no activation. The CD key I have been using doesn't work with these install disks, and I need to know what kind of install disk I need to use in order to use my own key. Is this a problem because I've got enterprise edition install disks in the drive, or non-OEM disks, or would only my broken disk have worked?

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
XP Pro, is it a Brand name os disk (you know, dell, etc)? what service pack, OEM or retail. once you know these answers its just a matter of finding a similar disk, Or, I belive you can get ahold of microsoft and get a repacement disk.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You can borrow anybody's OEM Pro to install, then use your key when asked.

The only problem will be if the disc you borrow is proprietary to a mobo. Some are, some aren't. I've purchased about 75 Dell OEM's for customers, that worked on any machine.

If you get it worked out, I suggest you do an image when you get the XP working well and fully patched. Then you can always do a quick re-install off the image without needing an XP cd.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
There is no copy protect on the CD either, so you should be able to either burn a copy, or slipstream togeather a copy and put SP2 on it.

Note, I've had to resinstall and call MS to get it validated a few times. It takes 15 minutes or so, but is somewhat anoying. However, they didn't have a problem with me reinstalling it, particularly because it's a registered OEM copy (was a sample sent out to store workers so they could test it and sell it to customers)