anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
Has anyone ever wanted to play games within a resizeable window rather than always have the game take control of your entire monitor.

Are is this already possible but I just dont know how.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Sure, you can do this with lots of games. I only play NWN2 and CS:S, and I play them both windowed so I can easily continue MSN conversations while playing. It's usually in visual options.

AndonSage

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Has anyone ever wanted to play games within a resizeable window rather than always have the game take control of your entire monitor.

Are is this already possible but I just dont know how.
Most games will switch between full size and windowed mode by hitting Alt-Enter. If that doesn't work, try Ctrl-Enter (although only one game I've played used that).

Gary

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Sure, you can do this with lots of games. I only play NWN2 and CS:S, and I play them both windowed so I can easily continue MSN conversations while playing. It's usually in visual options.
Dude, you play NWN2? Has the content improved on it? I bought it the day it came out and was so frustrated with the lack of servers that I haven't played it since. It ran fine on my rig, but what's the point of playing single player?

(sorry 'bout the hijack... that's the first person I've heard of that plays NWN2)

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
My evga 6800 is screwed right now so I cant just go home and try it.

Im going to get one of the upcoming AGP DX10 cards for this soon to be overclocked P4 system and then build a new system with a PCIe DX10 card so Ill have two systems. Im not building anything though until a DX10 games comes out. I guess Crysis will be the first one.

If an AGP DX10 card come out I will get it immediately eventhough no DX10 games exist since I literally cant play anything right now since Im using integrated graphics.

I have King Kong, Madden 2006, and Ages of Empire and when my card worked I always played full screen having know idea I could have windowed it.

So you guys are saying these games can be windowed huh ?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Dude, you play NWN2? Has the content improved on it? I bought it the day it came out and was so frustrated with the lack of servers that I haven't played it since. It ran fine on my rig, but what's the point of playing single player?

(sorry 'bout the hijack... that's the first person I've heard of that plays NWN2)

I haven't actually played online in NWN2 yet, never got around to it. I figured there'd be tons of NWN2 servers, there were lots of good NWN1 servers so I assumed most of them would convert to NWN2. I played NWN1 online for like 2 years. I'll check when I get home, it's a pretty good game.

There was a bit of a discussion about it in another thread here too, can't remember which one. The one about upgrading gone mad I think.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'm playing nwn2 too but single only till I finish the game... then I won't ever go online, does it really worth it ? The answer is no of course. no PvP = not worth it online
No PvP?!? WTF?!? You gotta be kidding me... it's not April 1st so cut out the joking... that's just retarded!

I miss NWN *sigh*

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Where did you read it's restricted to no PvP? I thought for the most part the game remained the same as NWN1, just changed the graphics engine UI and updated rules to 3.5, so I'd expect you'd still have the option of PvP on your own server... but I haven't looked into it.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
some other games like GuildWars can go windowed by going in the shortcut properties and add -window or something like that - depending on the game - at the end of the shortcut target

Or you can click on the the box button in the top right corner (like a browser window, minimize, windowed/full screen, close.)

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
NWN2 = Neverwinter Nights 2 (game)
CS:S = Counterstrike: Source (game)
C2D = Core 2 Duo (Intel processor)
PvP = Player -vs- Player

PvP = player versus player, i.e. online gaming

(never mind, I see you've edited)

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006

I haven't actually played online in NWN2 yet, never got around to it. I figured there'd be tons of NWN2 servers, there were lots of good NWN1 servers so I assumed most of them would convert to NWN2. I played NWN1 online for like 2 years. I'll check when I get home, it's a pretty good game.

There was a bit of a discussion about it in another thread here too, can't remember which one. The one about upgrading gone mad I think.

So how is NWN2? Is it a role-playing game, like Diablo, where the character keeps getting smarter and stronger as you play? If I like Diablo 2 would I like NWN2?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
So how is NWN2? Is it a role-playing game, like Diablo, where the character keeps getting smarter and stronger as you play? If I like Diablo 2 would I like NWN2?

Yeah, your character levels up if that's what you mean. Diablo is a sort of similar idea, though NWN2 is more complicated.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I believe there are technical reasons why games are sometimes fixed at certain resolutions and do not run in resizable windows.

All this talk of NWN2 makes me want to go home right now and reinstall it.

d0000h

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I believe there are technical reasons why games are sometimes fixed at certain resolutions and do not run in resizable windows.

All this talk of NWN2 makes me want to go home right now and reinstall it.

Yikes. I dunno, but I loved NWN and was so looking forward to NWN2. Tried it and thought it was the biggest dissapointment in a long time. Then I found out that Bioware did not create NWN2. Played it once and never looked at it again. IMO...

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Why what was so disappointing? I thought overall it was pretty decent, much like NWN1 with better graphics (except spell effects- ugh) and thankfully the epic levels removed. I hope some good multiplayer stuff is out now or soon though.

BTW, seen info on Dragon Age? That looks cool. Sounds like it'll be a while though.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
on my c2d i can alt-tab instantaneously to the desktop, while fullscreen in a game! it nice I LIKEY!

Try that with Dark Messiah... I have a e6600, 2 GB DDR800, X1900XT and so on and that game does not unload instantly. It *might* have something to do with the fact the games footprint is 1600+ MB in memory.