jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
The first link has more amps on 12V, is cheaper, and the second link is out of stock. So overall I'd say it's pretty obvious the first one is a good choice.

sailer

Splendid
Basically what Jeff said. In addition, the first choice (EGX1000EWL) has a couple 6+2 connectors that will feed the newest graphics cards without having to buy adaptors.

4745454b

Titan
LOL, actually the newest GFX power supply connectors are 2x4 (8pin, not 6.) The r600 is supposed to require one of each, though I believe your ok if you use two 2x3 plugs. I'm not sure what the other 2 pins add.

I am going to buy a 1kW PSU. I have narrowed it down to the following:
Enermax Galaxy
Enermax Galaxy 2

What is the difference between them? Which should I get?

I'm not sure you're really gaining anything if all you're doing is swapping out your PC&C 750W for the Enermax 1000w.

By my guesstimation, your existing psu is more than enough even if you machine is running at full load. What are you adding to your machine that will require an additional 250watts?

My $.02m, I'd spend about the same amount and upgrade the proc to a E6600 instead of the psu.

Either way, it's your machine and money, so...

Good luck!

sailer

Splendid
LOL, actually the newest GFX power supply connectors are 2x4 (8pin, not 6.) The r600 is supposed to require one of each, though I believe your ok if you use two 2x3 plugs. I'm not sure what the other 2 pins add.

The purpose of the 6+2 connectors is so they can either be used with a 6 pin connector or with a 8 pin connector (6+2 = 8), similar in idea to a 20+4 connector for the motherboard, which allows it to plug into either a 20 pin or 24 pin connector.

sailer

Splendid
But why introduce the 8 pin at all? The 2x3 (6pin) connector is pretty new, why do we need something newer?

Don't know. Maybe the video cards makers have a good reason, or maybe they've got a deal with the psu makers so they can sell us new psus and make more money.

sailer

Splendid
I will be adding a quad core and another 8800GTX as well as 2GB more RAM. And eventually water cooling.

Next you'll have to buy a bigger monitor to use all that power. In the meantime, you'll be able to turn all the settings to max and still have very fast framerates.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I already can set them to max. I run F.E.A.R. maxxed out with no hitches at all. I want SLi because that is what will complete my rig.