PXE network booting, images, updating

manicmenace

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi everyone I've come unstuck and would be hugely grateful for any ideas/brainstorms you guys could come up with

The Situation
I have multiple servers (3 types and around 4 of each type all are X86) with multiple hard drives in each, for testing, the OS's range from RH3&4 SLES9&10 Win2k and 2k3. Using them on test the OS's tend to go "peet tong" often and I’m spending most of my time reinstalling OS's, SLES9 Update3 is 9 CD's for example.

All the servers have PXE and I would like to try to have is a server that broadcasts PXE that I can store a backed up image of these OS's on and then just restore that Image when a server goes down.

I have scrawled the internet for information but I’m finding it hard to think of a solution.

If anyone has idea's, input on what they currently do if you have a similar situation, or any links etc. it would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Martin

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
One you have a clean install you could use Digital Dolly, Ghost or any other drive imaging software. I know DD allows for sending to network storage. Or if you have spare drives, just image to one. HD to HD is the fastest way to clone a drive.

manicmenace

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
hey thanks for the reply, i've been looking today actually into DD planning on running it from knoppix, see what i can manage with it.

Thought about the HD - HD but it would require a heck of a lot of mirror hard drives, and we dont have any spare, plus there all SCSI 10k ones. I'm going to have a look at Digital Dolly never heard of it before after the dd tests.

Thanks again for your reply
Martin

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You can store multiple image sets on one drive. You could make a folder for each os and still use the HD to HD. The only limit would be if the HD is large enough for all that you require.

I use DD for BU's. Copy my notebook HD and desktop pc to My NAS's. You need to remember if you do a restore it does not automaticly copy the MBR, need to issue a seperate cmd for it. It is copied with the clone but not restored.