Windows 7 activation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I just removed vista 64 from my laptop and installed win 7 pro, it says it will activate in 3 days automatically, AM I godd for updates

Solution

That's your issue.

Each Windows 7 install disc can only be used to install Windows 7 on a single computer. If you have multiple computers, then you need to purchase multiple install disc whether they be OEM (System Builder) or Retail.

If Windows 7 is validated on all those other computer using the same install disc, then i don't know how you managed to do that.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows 7, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

The Prophecy!

This is what you have , it 's good for only one computer!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116989

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
okay this is to everyone from the novist to the seasoned pro, I've used this same disk on 4 computers without issue {successful activation} on them all, windows allows you some margin of error on system builders disks for faulty hard drive etc.......

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.