regedit & computer management

when i type in regedit or double click computer management icon they open for
half a second than close. i have xp with multipule users but i have admin
privlages
2 answers Last reply
More about regedit computer management

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If this is a relatively recent issue, you might try using System Restore to
    take you back to a time when this worked properly. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If that doesn't resolve
    it, try the information below.

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

    Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
    unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
    files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
    forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
    data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    vicmag wrote:
    > when i type in regedit or double click computer management icon they open for
    > half a second than close. i have xp with multipule users but i have admin
    > privlages

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
    mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
    aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
    scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan