Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 This copy of windows is not genuine

Last response: in Windows 7
July 23, 2011 10:58:23 PM

I had issues with my old hdd. The system partition was corrupt and I could not make a disk image or full hdd backup, nor could I eventually boot with it. Sooo, I went out and bought a new hdd. I could still see and access all the files on my old hdd and not wanting to lose all my installed programs and personal files, I xcopied the whole drive to my new one. When I try to boot using the new drive I get up to the windows login screen but when I try to logon to myself or even Administrator, some type comes up saying it is preparing the desktop, THEN I get this black screen with type at the bottom right corner saying: Windows 7; Build 7600; This copy of windows is not genuine. No matter what I do, I cannot get past this black window into Windows.

I have searched the net for solutions to no avail as all posts pertain to getting into the Windows enviroment. I am not able to get there. I have tried Safe Mode, Startup Repair, SFC /scannow. I believe I need to re-activate my LEGAL copy of Win7 Ultimate but I can't even get into the Windows enviroment to do so.

Is there a way to activate my Win7 from outside the windows enviroment?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 11:15:38 PM

Is this a legit version of 7?
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 11:38:21 PM

Area51,

Quote:
I need to re-activate my LEGAL copy of Win7 Ultimate

At first I was thinking doing a repair install as that's what I normally do, but you seem to need to be in windows for that work now. (HORRIBLE idea MS!) I did see something about a "start up repair", so perhaps that is what you need?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Startup-Rep...
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 12:00:45 AM

Actually, I have heard of people with legit installs of Win 7 that would suddenly give you is "error" message. Not very common, but even that some have complained out this issue.
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 4:30:56 AM

I think the issue is that he cloned/copied the drive. Windows got confused maybe?
July 24, 2011 5:27:11 AM

xcoping will not work with win7. With Xp you could could just copy one disk to another and everything would usually work. Win7 is very picky. I think your only choice is a format/install on the new drive. Then copy your data from the old drive.

There is a Windows 7 recovery disc if you can find one you could try it. I have never used it but my guess is it would fix your boot problem.
July 24, 2011 5:41:18 AM

Forgot to say you can create one from another Win7 PC if you have one. Control Panel>Sytem and Security>Backup and Restore. I think it is 32 bit or 64 bit specific. You can't use a 32 bit recovery disc on a 64 bit system. I don't think the Win7 version matters. One made from a Win7 32 bit Home system will work on a Win7 32 bit Ultimate system.
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 5:44:35 AM

Ahhh, missed that. I don't think you can even Xcopy Win95. You'd have to use some clone software to copy a drive nowdays.
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 5:02:30 PM

can't you use the win7 install disk to start a repair, I had similar issues, when moving from one hdd to another. can't recall how i resolved it though
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2011 7:03:50 PM

Quote:
At first I was thinking doing a repair install as that's what I normally do, but you seem to need to be in windows for that work now. (HORRIBLE idea MS!)

XP or vista, thats what you want to do. They changed it however with win7.
January 6, 2012 8:28:32 PM

DreamMaker said:
I had issues with my old hdd. The system partition was corrupt and I could not make a disk image or full hdd backup, nor could I eventually boot with it. Sooo, I went out and bought a new hdd. I could still see and access all the files on my old hdd and not wanting to lose all my installed programs and personal files, I xcopied the whole drive to my new one. When I try to boot using the new drive I get up to the windows login screen but when I try to logon to myself or even Administrator, some type comes up saying it is preparing the desktop, THEN I get this black screen with type at the bottom right corner saying: Windows 7; Build 7600; This copy of windows is not genuine. No matter what I do, I cannot get past this black window into Windows.

I have searched the net for solutions to no avail as all posts pertain to getting into the Windows enviroment. I am not able to get there. I have tried Safe Mode, Startup Repair, SFC /scannow. I believe I need to re-activate my LEGAL copy of Win7 Ultimate but I can't even get into the Windows enviroment to do so.

Is there a way to activate my Win7 from outside the windows enviroment?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx.

I had that same issue with my new build. From my understanding, you will get that message until you activate Windows. What I did to solved that was call the toll free number, which will connect you to a machine that will walk you through the process of activating your software, that is what you need to do since you are not able to connect to the internet, after doing so the logo at the bottom of your screen will be gone. and you problem will be solve. It work for me and I am sure it will work for you too. Just click on activate by telephone and you will be giving a NUMBER to call for activation and follow the instruction.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
January 6, 2012 10:56:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!