Bluetooth motherboards?

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I've never used any Bluetooth technology before but would like to in the future. Specifically, I would like to sync my cell phone and Palm Pilot with my home desktop computer.

Is Bluetooth connectivity built-in to any motherboards? If not, I presume you have to add a PCI card of some sort?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Bluetooth depends on the products that use it.

So your cell/palm pilot would also have to have it built into devices. If that is the case, then it might have an adaptor for the PC, which would connect to the USB port.

Generally, some MB may have something built into it, but you don't need to have it built in. Like for example there are Bluetooth keyboards/mouse that work off the USB port, which will give you allot of distance.

I've never used any Bluetooth technology before but would like to in the future. Specifically, I would like to sync my cell phone and Palm Pilot with my home desktop computer.

When I first got my LG8000 phone I tried to use the bluetooth connection to the bluetooth radio on my Dell laptop, to download my contact list. I could establish 2-way recognition between the devices but the cellphone bluetooth apps (at least on my Verizon version) are severely limited - no way I could download the list to the laptop. I called Verizon tech support and they confirmed this "feature" :) - they wanna sell me the USB wired connection kit for about $40 instead. Basically all the LG8000 bluetooth connection is good for is a headset...

Next cellphone I get will probably be a smartphone so that I can bypass a lot of those restrictions...

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
just get a USB blutooth adapter, and possibly leave it all inside you case if you want

I use blutooth alot to transfer files between phones and the laptop.

there might be some motherboards with miniPCIe slots (there are miniITX boards with them). you could stick a laptop module in one of those.