bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
One of my computers has an odd problem that developes after a while where Minimizing and Maximizing windows becomes tediously slow, the animation runs realy slow and it flashes in different sizes.

My GF thinks it could be a vide card problem, I think it's a software confict of some kind. However, this used to happen on her old computer, and is now happening on my old computer (which never had this problem). Other than moving her profile over, the only connection is the Video Card (An AIW Radeon 8500DV).

Any clues?

sturm

Splendid
When this happens, bring up the task manager and check your memory usage. Its probably pretty high. Also check the cpu usage at that time as this can cause it also.
Check for any spyware/adware also.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
0 Spyware (According to Spybot and McAffee)
Memory usage is naught (no where near the 1 gig of RAM)
CPU usage is less than 5%, though the meters don't update when it's doing it's funky thing (it's like the system locks up)

Sometimes it happens after she uses Outlook Express, or one of her Majong programs. I used to see WOW running whenever it happened, but that never fixed it, and now it's not running.

Any chance it's the video card or the DVD Drive? They're the only 2 components that are identical.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Ok, looks like the video card was the culpret. Not exactly sure why, could be a driver thing even, but the ATI Radeon 8500DV had problems on this system. Replaced it with my old Radeon 8500 normal, and it works much better (Even when not acting up, windows effects are better).

I think I'll throw it in a different system and use older drivers and see if it works. It's nice to have the video capture stuff on it. If it's not a driver issue, that means that the VIA motherboard it was used on earlier damaged the card :(

I would have never guessed.