Sign in with
Your question

A few compile questions

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 1, 2006 7:27:04 PM

Okay, I've decided that in order to truly be 1337 in the Linux world, you have to compile a kernel at some point. A quick google search gives a bunch of guides for doing this (which I'll be needing fairly shortly). Anyways, I installed Fedora Core 4 32 bit (686), despite having a 64 bit processor. Is it possible to compile a 64 bit kernel? If so, and I compiled it with no hiccups and booted with it, would all my old 32 bit programs work?

lastly, I would like to know how to compile Wine and make the binary available for other Fedora Core 4 users. At the moment, the Wine website has only older binaries for FC4. I have compiled and installed Wine, but where does Wine place its RPM? And if I copied this RPM to another computer (686?) would it run?

More about : compile questions

March 2, 2006 5:46:05 AM

Quote:
Okay, I've decided that in order to truly be 1337 in the Linux world, you have to compile a kernel at some point. A quick google search gives a bunch of guides for doing this (which I'll be needing fairly shortly). Anyways, I installed Fedora Core 4 32 bit (686), despite having a 64 bit processor. Is it possible to compile a 64 bit kernel? If so, and I compiled it with no hiccups and booted with it, would all my old 32 bit programs work?

You can compile a 64bit Kernel on a 32bit distro but it's complicated.

I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would suggest instead is downloading FC4 x86_64 from here:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/4/x86_64/iso/

or one of the other mirrors

Last time I checked FC x86_64 could not upgrade an existing 32bit installation, so you have to backup any data you have and reinstall OR you can boot from the install or rescue CD and move all the directories in SLASH to another directory and then install x86_64 WITHOUT formatting the drive.

[code:1:32e16d6a99]
# boot from the rescue CD

cd /;
mkdir /old_32bit_install;
mv -i * /old_32bit_install;

# reboot
# boot from the FC4 x86_64 installation DVD or CD1
# install like you normally would but make sure you LEAVE THE PARTITION AS IS - PRESERVE DATA

[/code:1:32e16d6a99]

FC4 x86_64 can run both 32bit and 64bit code so most applications should work. There are a FEW which have issues but the vast majority work fine.

Quote:

lastly, I would like to know how to compile Wine and make the binary available for other Fedora Core 4 users. At the moment, the Wine website has only older binaries for FC4. I have compiled and installed Wine, but where does Wine place its RPM? And if I copied this RPM to another computer (686?) would it run?

Compiling WINE should be straight forward, read the README file that comes with it.

Normally that involves:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Compiling code for others is more complicated.

If you RPM it you don't compile it.

If you compiled it you don't RPM it.

So I'm not sure what you mean.

If you've already compiled and installed it then there is no RPM. WINE is installed in /usr/local/ by default if I remember correctly.

so the wine executable would end up in:

/usr/local/bin/wine

WINE suggests you use [code:1:32e16d6a99]./tools/wineinstall[/code:1:32e16d6a99] # to install it

or

./configure
make depend
make

I am not sure what you used to compile it.

If you can't find wine you can run a find for it like this:

find / -xdev -iname "*wine*" # those are double quotes and you need the -xdev

# you do not have to use the wildcards if you want to search for "wine"

March 2, 2006 7:46:16 PM

I see. I'll get those x64 disks (I have no DVDs on me, and I'm too lazy to go buy some) and install those in a bit. I have no critical files on my Linux partition and won't back up anything.

As far as Wine goes, what I wanted was to find out how to build and RPM that would be used on other computers. The Wine website has no FC4 RPMs past version like 9.2 (or something like that) and I was hoping ./tools/wineinstall created an RPM I could send then.
Related resources
March 2, 2006 8:03:39 PM

Quote:
I see. I'll get those x64 disks (I have no DVDs on me, and I'm too lazy to go buy some) and install those in a bit. I have no critical files on my Linux partition and won't back up anything.

As far as Wine goes, what I wanted was to find out how to build and RPM that would be used on other computers. The Wine website has no FC4 RPMs past version like 9.2 (or something like that) and I was hoping ./tools/wineinstall created an RPM I could send then.

In that case you can reformat like this [ mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1 ] ( etc ) or you can let the installer do it for you.

No it does not make an RPM. Making RPMs especially for others is a lot more complicated.

While RPMs are very convenient a lot of people believe it is a lot better to build things from source instead of using RPMs.

If you have the disk space [ over 10GB ] I would recommend installing EVERYTHING [ takes about 7 or 8GBs of disk space ].

That will allow you to play with more programs and you won't have to spend hours or days tracking down dependencies later on.

After you install FC4 x86_64 I would suggest installing mplayer, madplay, etc from source.

Good Luck! :D 
March 4, 2006 12:39:18 AM

I have yet another question that, if answered satisfactorily, will probably cause me to not ask many questions in the future.

Okay, I've download the wine source for FC4 X86-64. Okay, all appears to go well, but then it goes and pitches me this:

[code:1:D 6e9f48f5b]/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: gcc failed.
make[2]: *** [ddraw.dll.so] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zachary/Desktop/wine-0.9.9/dlls/ddraw'
make[1]: *** [ddraw] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zachary/Desktop/wine-0.9.9/dlls'
make: *** [dlls] Error 2
[/code:1:D 6e9f48f5b]

A quick google said to do this:
[code:1:D 6e9f48f5b][me@localhost winedirectory]./configure --x-libraries=/user/X11R6/lib[/code:1:D 6e9f48f5b]
Oviously, this didn't work, otherwise I wouldn't be asking this.
Even more crazy is that looking in both /user/.../lib and /user/.../lib64 I see libxext.so, libxext.so.6, libxext.so.6.4, and libxext.a. So unless it some other file, all appears to me to be just fine and dandy.
March 4, 2006 12:50:07 AM

You have to use /usr/X11R6/lib
March 4, 2006 12:51:19 AM

Sorry for replying twice.

It was by accident.

Quote:
I have yet another question that, if answered satisfactorily, will probably cause me to not ask many questions in the future.

Okay, I've download the wine source for FC4 X86-64. Okay, all appears to go well, but then it goes and pitches me this:

[code:1:351deae04f]/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: gcc failed.
make[2]: *** [ddraw.dll.so] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zachary/Desktop/wine-0.9.9/dlls/ddraw'
make[1]: *** [ddraw] Error 2
[/code:1:351deae04f]

A quick google said to do this:
[code:1:351deae04f][me@localhost winedirectory]./configure --x-libraries=/user/X11R6/lib[/code:1:351deae04f]
Oviously, this didn't work, otherwise I wouldn't be asking this.
Even more crazy is that looking in both /user/.../lib and /user/.../lib64 I see libxext.so, libxext.so.6, libxext.so.6.4, and libxext.a. So unless it some other file, all appears to me to be just fine and dandy.

./configure --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

# or if that doesn't work

./configure --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64
March 4, 2006 1:09:55 AM

Quote:

./configure --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

# or if that doesn't work

./configure --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64

Doh! No wonder it wasn't working. I typed it in as user. Oh well.

EDIT:

Now, I've got yet another file it doesn't want to open.

[code:1:5e3cc323fb]
Error: Could not open rsrc.res

make[2]: *** [rsrc.res] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zachary/Desktop/wine-0.9.9/dlls/avifil32'
make[1]: *** [avifil32] Error 2
[/code:1:5e3cc323fb]
March 4, 2006 7:58:54 AM

Does rsrc.res exist?

cd to the wine directory and run:

[code:1:a4f4b8ac79]