Sign in with
Your question

sound prob w/ SLI and sound card (onboard audio fine)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2007 9:19:48 PM

Ever since I got my second Video Card and went SLI I have had crippling sound problems. After playing for a while all sounds get replace with a high pitched squeal. This is only with games, not music (using WMP), DVDs (using WinDVD), and only with my sound card, not the (crappy) onboard sound (which has no problem). Some games may play for three minutes, others for close to fifty before this consistently happens. It seems to be simply subsistuting all sounds with this annoying noise. I quit the game it goes quiet, but music is now affected and DVDs have NO sound. Single GPU works fine (either card, either PCI-E slot), sound card in either PCI slot still causes the problem. I recently got a newer, better sound card but it does the exact same thing. I think it may be either a video card issue, or the motherboard. Is it something to due with the way the video card handles sound? Or the motherboard? HELP!! I really like the improved graphics (on a relative budget) that SLI brings, and don't like being hobbled like this.

Tried Turning down Sound Card Acceleration with the old card, didn't help. Will try that with the new sound card...

My Computer
Old Alienware Case.
Asus P5N32 SE SLI-Deluxe
Inter Core 2 Duo E6600
3*Corsair PC5400 667 512mb
2*Maxtor 200GB 7200rpm
2*EVGA NVidia 7600 GT KO 256mb video (do have different bios #'s on the card)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Gamer Extreme (old card was SB Audigy 2)
Sony DVD writer.
Dell 2407wfp monitor
March 29, 2007 12:22:40 AM

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll mention it here too. If your BIOS has LDT or HT(T) Frequency options, try decreasing them to 1x. See what effect this has, and if it solves your sound issues.

Most people say that lowering this option slows down your computer. I haven't experienced that result myself, but still, it's undesirable. I'm mostly curious to see if our problems might be closely related, since doing this solved my squealing issues with my Audigy 2 ZS.
April 20, 2007 8:35:15 PM

Can't Find LDT or HT(T) in my BIOS settings (what do they stand for?). Increasing the NB and SB speed settings seems to extend the time that it takes to trigger this problem, but at the expense of system stability. Updated chipset, video, and sound drivers. Each update seems to buy me a couple hours of problem free gaming, but then it is back. Claiming warranty on this MB seems to be pretty difficult - anybody else gone through warranty claim with ASUS?
April 24, 2008 7:50:59 PM

I have similar problems with my games. Whenever I run in SLi mode, I get lots of crackling sounds, and certain sequences (like meditating in The Witcher) causes a loud high-pitch squeal. Some games, like Assassin's Creed, will occasionally starting making high-pitch squeals even when I'm not running in SLi mode. I'm running the latest drivers, mobo BIOS and nVidia forceware for my computer. Here's my specs
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 6000+
2*Kingston PC2-6400 1GB
1*IDE Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm
1*SATA Western Digital 300GB 7200rpm
2*XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
1*Pioneer DVR-1910LS DVD-RAM
1* Hiper Type R MkII Series 680W Power Supply
1* MAG Innovision 570FS CRT (I know, I need to upgrade once I save up the money)
Onboard sound is SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio. This works fine, with the exception that the features of my SB card (like EAX) don't work with it. I'd like to use my SB card, but I paid for two video cards and I wanna use them, damnit! I was thinking of maybe biting the bullet and upgrading to a newer SB card, but if jonboy is having problems with the X-Fi card, I don't know if that will actually solve anything.
!