Basic - Re-Installing XP (repair)

Hello,

I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage and
I am now confronted with the following

C:\WINDOWS>

Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.

Please Help.

Thanks, Dave
10 answers Last reply
More about basic installing repair

    "DaveG" <DaveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage
    > and
    > I am now confronted with the following
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>
    >
    > Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.
    >
    > Please Help.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    Repair Installation of WinXP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC

    you have selected the windows recoveryconsole
    by pressing the 'R' key. recovery console is used
    to fix windows boot errors, mbr errors, edit services etc.
    but you can't reinstall windows using that. to do a reinatll
    first boot from ur win xp cd. in the setup selection screen
    press enter(do not press 'R'). in the next stage windows will
    search for previous installations of windows and will find and
    will list in the next screen. you can select your windows and
    then press enter. reinatllation will start then.
    DaveG wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage and
    > I am now confronted with the following
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>
    >
    > Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.
    >
    > Please Help.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    I have followed your instructions, but its NOT installing, its saying the
    following:

    To install XP on the partition you slected, setup must write some startup
    files to the following disk: Unknown Disk
    However, this disk does not contain a XP compatible partition.

    To continue installing XP, return to the partition selection screen and
    create a XP compatible partition on the disk above.

    Does this mean anything to you, and can it be sorted.

    I have returned to the screen before and pressed 'C' but nothing as happened.

    It looks like I may have accidentally started to install XP on a new folder
    (windows1), is this what is causing the problem and is there a way around
    this?

    "Free Net Jobs" wrote:

    > you have selected the windows recoveryconsole
    > by pressing the 'R' key. recovery console is used
    > to fix windows boot errors, mbr errors, edit services etc.
    > but you can't reinstall windows using that. to do a reinatll
    > first boot from ur win xp cd. in the setup selection screen
    > press enter(do not press 'R'). in the next stage windows will
    > search for previous installations of windows and will find and
    > will list in the next screen. you can select your windows and
    > then press enter. reinatllation will start then.
    > DaveG wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage and
    > > I am now confronted with the following
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS>
    > >
    > > Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.
    > >
    > > Please Help.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Dave

    I'm not sure of exactly what you've done from this post but below are the
    instructions for a repair install and it does not require the Recovery
    Console:

    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
    reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
    boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
    instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
    replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
    simply an example.

    Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
    you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
    Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
    these commands

    COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
    COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
    (two other files needed - just in case)
    ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
    sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
    XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
    of this message.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    >I have followed your instructions, but its NOT installing, its saying the
    > following:
    >
    > To install XP on the partition you slected, setup must write some startup
    > files to the following disk: Unknown Disk
    > However, this disk does not contain a XP compatible partition.
    >
    > To continue installing XP, return to the partition selection screen and
    > create a XP compatible partition on the disk above.
    >
    > Does this mean anything to you, and can it be sorted.
    >
    > I have returned to the screen before and pressed 'C' but nothing as
    > happened.
    >
    > It looks like I may have accidentally started to install XP on a new
    > folder
    > (windows1), is this what is causing the problem and is there a way around
    > this?
    >
    > "Free Net Jobs" wrote:
    >
    >> you have selected the windows recoveryconsole
    >> by pressing the 'R' key. recovery console is used
    >> to fix windows boot errors, mbr errors, edit services etc.
    >> but you can't reinstall windows using that. to do a reinatll
    >> first boot from ur win xp cd. in the setup selection screen
    >> press enter(do not press 'R'). in the next stage windows will
    >> search for previous installations of windows and will find and
    >> will list in the next screen. you can select your windows and
    >> then press enter. reinatllation will start then.
    >> DaveG wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage
    >> > and
    >> > I am now confronted with the following
    >> >
    >> > C:\WINDOWS>
    >> >
    >> > Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.
    >> >
    >> > Please Help.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Dave

    Sounds like a corrupted system partition. The only real solution is often to
    delete it and create a new one. Unless you have data you were trying to
    save, this is the quickest way to get past this point.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "DaveG" <DaveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have followed your instructions, but its NOT installing, its saying the
    > following:
    >
    > To install XP on the partition you slected, setup must write some startup
    > files to the following disk: Unknown Disk
    > However, this disk does not contain a XP compatible partition.
    >
    > To continue installing XP, return to the partition selection screen and
    > create a XP compatible partition on the disk above.
    >
    > Does this mean anything to you, and can it be sorted.
    >
    > I have returned to the screen before and pressed 'C' but nothing as
    > happened.
    >
    > It looks like I may have accidentally started to install XP on a new
    > folder
    > (windows1), is this what is causing the problem and is there a way around
    > this?
    >
    > "Free Net Jobs" wrote:
    >
    >> you have selected the windows recoveryconsole
    >> by pressing the 'R' key. recovery console is used
    >> to fix windows boot errors, mbr errors, edit services etc.
    >> but you can't reinstall windows using that. to do a reinatll
    >> first boot from ur win xp cd. in the setup selection screen
    >> press enter(do not press 'R'). in the next stage windows will
    >> search for previous installations of windows and will find and
    >> will list in the next screen. you can select your windows and
    >> then press enter. reinatllation will start then.
    >> DaveG wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to re-install XP (repair), I have passed the password stage
    >> > and
    >> > I am now confronted with the following
    >> >
    >> > C:\WINDOWS>
    >> >
    >> > Please, what do I put in here, I have tried everything I know.
    >> >
    >> > Please Help.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Dave

    Hello Michael,

    Thank you for your time.

    I have followed your instructions to setup windows, but still come up with
    the following message.

    I have followed your instructions, but its NOT installing, its saying the
    following:

    To install XP on the partition you slected, setup must write some startup
    files to the following disk: Unknown Disk
    However, this disk does not contain a XP compatible partition.

    To continue installing XP, return to the partition selection screen and
    create a XP compatible partition on the disk above.

    Does this mean anything to you, and can it be sorted.

    I have returned to the screen before and pressed 'C' (to create a partition)
    but nothing as happened.

    It looks like I may have accidentally started to install XP on a new folder
    (windows1), is this what is causing the problem and is there a way around
    this?

    On your second option (pressing R at the first chance), I am a little unsure
    of what to do here (really deep stuff for me). Could you maybe write it in
    (idiot proof) format, thanks.

    Dave G

    --
    djgosling

    I'm with Rick on this.

    Before you go any further, I think you should run a diagnostic on the hard
    drive. Check the hard drive manufacturer's website for their diagnostic
    tools. Making note of their instructions for making and using the tools
    disk, download the tools, create the disk as instructed and run the
    diagnostic to check the integrity of the disk and whether or not it might be
    failing.

    If the disk is fine, assuming you have an available separate partition from
    the one on which your current setup resides, you could do a new install of
    XP to that partition and then copy your data from the old setup to the new
    one. ***It all would be much simpler and you would save yourself a lot of
    heartache if you just had a recent backup from which you could restore your
    data.

    In any event, if you don't have an available partition, you will need third
    party software such as an XP compatible version of Partition Commander or
    System Commander to create one as XP does not have the tools to resize
    partitions on the fly.

    Once created and XP is installed, you may have problems accessing the data,
    this is a file ownership issue related to NTFS, assuming your current setup
    is using that file system. If that is the case and you receive such a
    warning, you would need to do the following to take ownership:
    This sounds like a file ownership issue related to NTFS. Note, file
    ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. How you resolve
    it depends upon which version of XP you are running.

    XP-Home

    Unfortunately, XP Home using NTFS is essentially hard wired for "Simple File
    Sharing" at system level.

    However, you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. Reboot, and start
    hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the
    options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's
    password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the
    machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a
    password during setup.

    If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press
    enter.

    Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to
    the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it
    and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change,
    move on to the next step.

    Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security
    tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged
    on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and
    ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of
    the user you just enabled. If you wish to set ownership for everything in
    the folder, at the bottom of the Owner tab is the following selection:
    "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," select it as well.

    Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when
    you log back on as that user.

    XP-Pro

    If you have XP Pro, temporarily change the limited account to
    administrative. First, go to Windows Explorer, go to Tools, select Folder
    Options, go to the View tab and be sure "Use Simple File Sharing" is not
    selected. If it is, deselect it and click apply and ok.

    If you wish everything in a specific folder to be accessible to a user,
    right click the folder, select properties, go to the Security tab, click
    Advanced, go to the Owner tab,
    select the user you wish to have access, at the bottom of the box, you
    should see a check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects,"
    place a check in the box and click apply and ok.

    The user should now be able to perform necessary functions on files in the
    folder even as a limited account. If not, make it an admin account again,
    right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab and be
    sure the user is listed in the user list. If not, click add and type the
    user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
    permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
    and ok.

    That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
    in a limited account.

    --

    "djgosling" <djgosling.1n0jpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Wrote:
    >> Sounds like a corrupted system partition. The only real solution is
    >> often to
    >> delete it and create a new one. Unless you have data you were trying
    >> save, this is the quickest way to get past this point.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> Hello Rick,
    >>
    >> Yes, it would be great to be able to save my data. Anyway you know that
    >> I may be able to do this?
    >

    > --
    > djgosling

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers layed this on us:

    > Sounds like a corrupted system partition. The only real solution
    > is often to delete it and create a new one. Unless you have data
    > you were trying to save, this is the quickest way to get past this
    > point.

    I had the same error on a clean install recently. The install kept
    wanting to install these files on a seperate drive from my C. This was
    my data drives.

    I solved this by exiting the installation and disconnecting the data
    drives from the motherboard.

    The install then ran fine without the error. It turned out the data
    drives had a couple of corrupt directories but chkdsk fixed these on a
    subsequent reboot after I reconnected them to the motherboard.

    --
    Bob Halberg

    Hi,

    First, as Michael has pointed out, run a hard drive diagnostic. If the drive
    is ok, then next make an image (if possible) of the corrupted partition. For
    this you will need some third party software. Once imaged, you might then
    try something like testdisk (cgsecurity.com) or mbrwork
    (terabyteunlimited.com) to see if you can recover the partition. If they
    don't help, you may be beyond the point at which a casual user can recover
    data. You will have to decide whether or not you want to pay for
    professional services (which is still no guarantee of recovery).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "djgosling" <djgosling.1n0jpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Wrote:
    >> Sounds like a corrupted system partition. The only real solution is
    >> often to
    >> delete it and create a new one. Unless you have data you were trying
    >> save, this is the quickest way to get past this point.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> Hello Rick,
    >>
    >> Yes, it would be great to be able to save my data. Anyway you know that
    >> I may be able to do this?
    >

    > --
    > djgosling

Windows XP Microsoft Basic