Sign in with
Your question

"Intel drops a Nehalem bomb on AMD's Fusion..."

Last response: in CPUs
March 28, 2007 11:39:55 PM

SO you mean you know it's faster already? If an AMD buyer said that there would be no end to the flames.

It sounds good and I predicted that SMT would reappear. AMD is supposedly doing it at some point. That will be better than just putting more cores on a die.
March 28, 2007 11:43:13 PM

Quote:
SO you mean you know it's faster already? If an AMD buyer said that there would be no end to the flames.

It sounds good and I predicted that SMT would reappear. AMD is supposedly doing it at some point. That will be better than just putting more cores on a die.

Baron, I didn't say anything at all. That was Ars' headline.
Related resources
March 29, 2007 12:01:15 AM

Care to explain how Hyperthreading is better than having multiple cores?
March 29, 2007 12:03:53 AM

Well, Baron, if you read the article it says nothing about the chip being faster than AMD's Fusion initiative. All it says is that there is going to be a cpu/gpu package put out from Intel. Honestly, did you think Intel would sit idly by while AMD put out Fusion? And come on, you're so hyped up on AMD and Barcelona, you will spit at anything negative anyone has to say about AMD, even if they didn't say it. I'm suprised AMD hasn't called you up to tell you that since you're their biggest fan, they are going to rename the Barcelona core to the Baronlona core and give you free stock. That stock, by the way, would be worthless in a few months if AMD doesn't get off their shinny metal asses and releases some benchmarks, or engineering samples, or something other than Hector's word and your hyped up BS.
March 29, 2007 12:04:49 AM

That's amazing, 8 cores, on die memory controller, 16 threads SMT. I hope to see this getting tested before the end of the year.
March 29, 2007 12:07:48 AM

Quote:
I'm suprised AMD hasn't called you up to tell you that since you're their biggest fan, they are going to rename the Barcelona core to the Baronlona core and give you free stock.

Sounds like bologna... hehe

Pretty sweet little article there. I hope it's true. Laptops/Notebooks would get a huge benefit of such a die. Not sure I like the idea for a desktop though. I like the discreet graphics for a few reasons, such as the speed from the GPU to RAM and so on... but it would definitely kick a$$ at FP.
March 29, 2007 12:13:35 AM

What's nice about the architecture is that they can tailor it to different segements of the market. i.e. integrated gpu and cpu for the mobile segment while removing the gpu and adding more cores for the desktop enthusiast market. It's a great strategy. I can't wait to see some bechmarks on these things.
March 29, 2007 12:28:26 AM

Chill out man. All he did was link to a pun on words that only an AMD fanboy couldn't get :lol: 
March 29, 2007 2:39:03 AM

Quote:

Baron, I didn't say anything at all. That was Ars' headline.

Perhaps I should have revered the sentences as to not appear combative or harassing. Such will be the case in the future when possible. I do have a very time-consuming job and a full plate with the antics of the Brood.

At least lend some opinion to future posts. not in an attempt to aggrandize but merely contribute.
March 29, 2007 2:52:34 AM

Quote:
Damn :? Well since they did it first way back when its not copying anyone. Damn thats friggen insane. :(  I feel bad for AMD.

No kidding right? Sooner than I thought it would be.
March 29, 2007 3:13:00 AM

what needs to be done is think about the consumer. One of the main reasons AMD kept a lot of the market (I was one of them) was because they kept their socket 7 (i believe for the barton xp) alive for a long time. having a memory controller in die doesn't mean performance, means that you can keep the board architecture more constant.

The one that really jumps and thinks about the consumer building a decent machine will win. I would rather loose 10% total performance if they promise in the future to be cheaper to upgrade. in the end they win by selling processors not motherboards. Specially AMD.

Having in the mobile segment an integrated GPU and CPU means that I can finally upgrade my laptop when the time comes (obviously a future laptop that has this cpu/gpu integrated in die). That way I don't have to buy a new laptop whenever an OS changes and I need/want the latest advancements.

They have built us into this I need more power/I want more power that they have failed to help us ease the costs along the way. If they make cheaper upgrades I could upgrade every year. But if not.. I will only upgrade once every three years.

its ridiculous the amount of money being asked for a GPU these days. Specially when a simple game will really outdate a GPU in a matter of months. Bam get a 8800gtx and next month a game will appear that will need the latest graphic card. I am sure that when they develop games they develop them for the next generation card. I never understood why a video card couldn't be socketed with ram sockets to upgrade, change like we can do on a motherboard. I guess we as customers are suckers.

I am sure that AMD will get a lot of business if they decide to be CUSTOMER friendly and will beat intel in a different type of game.

It was upsetting when I bought a socket 775 board nforce4 motherboard only to find out it didn't support the Core 2 Duo. But at least they are keeping the socket the same and this nf680i can pump 1600FSB. So there is future upgrades on the side of intel.
March 29, 2007 11:48:56 AM

Yeah, I know the onboard graphics will be amazing but I don't think it will be as good as them graphics card. It could be use for running multi displays and ultra high resolutions and maybe some games like CC:S and alike. I don't think Intel or AMD will go full blown onboard graphics for gaming and other intensive graphics applications. Maybe not at first. :wink: What I want to see is the 8-core 16-simultaneous multi threading. Kind of like hyperthreading again, only better.
March 29, 2007 12:29:43 PM

Quote:
First, kukito never said anything of this sort....

I think Baron was offended by the "bomb" metaphor because of its "explosiveness" without realizing that 1) it was not my metaphor, but Ars', and 2) journalists and editors love to play with words when creating headlines if appropriate. He didn't see the link between fusion and bomb. Still, it would've been nice if he had recognized this, as I've been trying to be nice to him lately despite his constant hostility.
March 29, 2007 12:41:54 PM

AMD's K10 Architecture is absolutely fine ,If they turn out to be as AMD is touting them to be. Only problem I see AMD getting into is Clocks. They are now almost Infamous for their '3 Ghz Wall'
Only way to counter Penryn and Nehalem would be for them to work on Efficient IPC and Of course More IPC on K10 and for them to effectively come back into the game and to AMD:

*you have to create some way of Overclockers and enthusiasts to get beyond the 3 Ghz with an improved manufacturing Layer that can handle high Clock speeds while not frying or losing Life on the CPU and Heating it up beyond the Surface of a Pentium 4'Prescott' Server farm.
March 29, 2007 12:54:19 PM

For any AMD initiative... Intel's response = spend a few $billion on R&D and Fab upgrades.

Hard to compete with that.

It's nice sitting on a pile of cash and no debt.
March 29, 2007 1:11:20 PM

Care to explain how Hyperthreading is better than having multiple cores?

This is a perfectly cromulent question. No one would make this claim; however, with a limited transistor budget and limited die space, you clearly want to maximize the number of cores. Once this limit is reached, you can then extend the performance of each core with SMT. Incidentally, such design decisions are typically made a surprising number of years prior to the actual product launch.

PB
March 29, 2007 1:19:17 PM

Quote:
For any AMD initiative... Intel's response = spend a few $billion on R&D and Fab upgrades.

Hard to compete with that.

It's nice sitting on a pile of cash and no debt.

But 'Pile of Cash and no debt' is exactly what caused the "Pentium 4" fiasco. Cash and No debt isn't always good. It causes lack of innovation and lack of interest in terms of Prices and adhering to customers requests and catching up to Software standards< They only managed to Dual-Core and Efficient IPC with (Core Arc) after years of beating from the simple K8 Arc.

After the Market shares started to shift to AMD, Intel shat their pants and had to innovate and because of that Pant Shitting you have Conroe, Penryn, Nehalem which proceed each other with a Major improvement in every revision. Unlike Back in Pentium 4 Era where they only Shrank Dies and increased heat while reducing Wattages(Inefficient Prescott)
March 29, 2007 1:23:24 PM

GPU/CPU hybrid sharing my DDR3 ram and a real Heat Sink.

I may no longer need to spend $150 on a Video card every year and $180 on a CPU every two years. I can only imagine that Intel's video solution will be much cheaper because they don't have to package it with ram, HS, and a PCB. Talk about bandwith.

This should drop Nvidia and AMD stock just out of sheer potential. Wow, I wouldn't need my PCI/PCI-e slot anymore, I could do everything else external across USB and my computer would be tiny. Solid state HD and External DVD. I think we are witnessing a true evolution of the Home PC to the future. Soon I will be able to install my OS on a Solid State USB thumbdrive HDD and plug it into a computer anywhere, boot it, and have my stuff..... well if MS gets it shet together.
March 29, 2007 2:17:27 PM

Quote:
GPU/CPU hybrid sharing my DDR3 ram and a real Heat Sink.

I may no longer need to spend $150 on a Video card every year and $180 on a CPU every two years. I can only imagine that Intel's video solution will be much cheaper because they don't have to package it with ram, HS, and a PCB. Talk about bandwith.

lol , according to who? (in the "I may no longer need to spend" )
actually, the way intel is tossing products from side to side would be called upgrade-mania to make people buy MORE o_O
March 29, 2007 2:45:06 PM

Quote:
This is a perfectly cromulent question.

lol... cromulent. :lol: 
March 29, 2007 3:00:27 PM

Geez! AMD just set a new 52 week low this morning on this news. This seems to be the catalyst for this move down as the market overall is up today.

If Hector and company have anything to show regarding K10 benches, the time is now. Otherwise this downward spiral will continue.
March 29, 2007 5:40:03 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I should have revered the sentences as to not appear combative or harassing. Such will be the case in the future when possible. I do have a very time-consuming job and a full plate with the antics of the Brood.

At least lend some opinion to future posts. not in an attempt to aggrandize but merely contribute.

NP
!