ATI customer service blows!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Multimedia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2007 12:29:59 AM

edited: unreasonable (angry) thoughts removed
So Multimedia Center will not completely install on my computer, and I decided to give customer service a try. Hahahahaaha, stupid move on my part! First I get an obvious pre-prepped e-mail telling me to check their "knowledge base" -- which I previously told them I had already checked. Nothing came from that, so I sent a reply with my problem not fixed. I tell them that Multimedia Center won't install and I can't use my HDTV Wonder -- this is all after trying to update the drivers on my x1600 and the HDTV Wonder, which both worked properly beforehand. I told them that there seemed to be a problem installing the Remote Center but that I did not care about the remote control, and I just wanted the damn tuner working again. They of course focused on the only problem that they thought they had a solution for and sent me a response telling me how to install the Remote Center (which did not work because of their software's well-documented bugs). They ignored the Multimedia Center problem and I am stuck with a card that does not work. This is terrible customer service!! Their hardware has not impressed me in the least, and they do nothing to back up an problems that this customer has. I'm going NVIDIA!! Any help with my problem is appreciated, and feel free to offer reasonable suggestions to me and others on alternatives to my set-up.
(The Remote Wonder problem cannot be fixed by their advice, because the registry files are incorrectly configured as read-only. To complete the registry fix, you have to go in to regedit and allow full access to such files. This seems to be a well known bug in the software, and I was able to stumble upon with almost no help. Interesting. I'm wondering if something so ridiculous is happening with Multimedia Center, and I'll post if I find something -- probably not the same, because even the new version won't install.)

More about : ati customer service blows

March 29, 2007 1:48:59 AM

yeah.... abandon all use of computers for the next decade.

its simply the risks we, as independent consumers and builders take.
I'm sure I could use the same product without flaw....so I wouldnt knock the company for it; I've had issues with things, and unless its a well documented and recurring theme, its either a) rare b) defect c) end user (YOU) error.... lets not paint any organization red just yet.

I will say, their CS isnt the best though...
March 29, 2007 5:09:03 AM

Yeah, my fault. I was a bit fired up, obviously. I'm just so pissed at the poor customer service that I have been getting from so many businesses lately, and this was something that I did not expect from such a large company. I'm not the best on my rig, but I am definitely not an idiot, and I don't appreciate being treated like one. I am direct and concise, and a well-written student of logic; so, when a business totally ignores a clear request in favor of trying to get me out of their hair, I easily grow annoyed with such a transaction. Whatever the case, the customer should come first in EVERY transaction-- companies and services that have approached me with this mindset have kept my business. hopefully this justifies my 'short fuse' -- if not, oh well.
Related resources
March 29, 2007 6:08:34 AM

Just out of curiosity, are you using XP or Vista?
March 29, 2007 6:21:24 AM

XP (the Vista disc from the free upgrade is sitting under my desk, but I'm not very interested in it right now. XP works fine, for the moment.)
March 29, 2007 6:32:22 AM

I know MMC has problems with Vista. THe lack of support for my AIW card is one of the main reasons I won't be using Vista anytime soon. That and the fact that I don't think its in any way worth the money.

As for XP, I've had a few tough to fix issues with ATI multimedia products. I would suggest completely cleaning (not just removing, but cleaning out) all of the ATI software (including drivers), then installing it from scratch. I have found this to fix most of the problems I've run into.
March 29, 2007 7:37:14 AM

True, still working on that...
March 29, 2007 2:29:13 PM

ATI is still a seperate development division......

So I"ll call it what it is.....ATI technologies. AMD acquired the company, they didnt destroy it.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 4:41:42 PM

To me it depends on the legacy.

I call it ATi for things that were ATi products and ATi codewords.
I call it AMD for the top down corporate decisions/actions and their future plans. Also when in context of graphics it's still often ATi vs S3 not AMD vs VIA.

I do the same with VPU and GPU, GPU really is the nV term, and VPU was the more generic term that Matrox, 3DLabs, ATi, etc used. Now GPU is more common, but I still use VPU alot, but I try never to call an nV chip a VPU, and rarely call an ATi or Matrox chip a GPU.

I did notice that AMD has dropped using the VPU from their statements recently. Must be a Green thing. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 5:18:36 PM

Quote:
I tell them that Multimedia Center won't install and I can't use my HDTV Wonder -- this is all after trying to update the drivers on my x1600 and the HDTV Wonder, which both worked properly beforehand.

Did you just upgrade to the latest video drivers or did you completely uninstall the MMC and then attempt to upgrade that as well?

When I only updated the video drivers and did not touch MMC, everything worked as before without any issues. When I did upgrade the video drivers and MMC, I was sure to go thru the complete uninstall procedure and re-install everything (even going as far as removing registry entries) the DVD de-coder, .net, drivers, and then MMC. ATI products have always been particular with installs and you have to be mindful of even the order in which you install each component. And, if you don't follow the recommended procedure (which is on the ATI support site) you can bugger the whole thing.

Good luck!
March 29, 2007 11:07:04 PM

Quote:
ATI is still a seperate development division......

So I"ll call it what it is.....ATI technologies. AMD acquired the company, they didnt destroy it.

then where the hell is the r600?

How does the naming of a company have anything to do with when they'll be turning out a product??

R600 is being polished as we speak.... like anything good, it takes time.
March 29, 2007 11:21:35 PM

In that respect, whats the hurry? There are no real DX10 games yet anyway. For my purposes, my x1900 works just fine.
March 29, 2007 11:32:22 PM

Quote:
I tell them that Multimedia Center won't install and I can't use my HDTV Wonder -- this is all after trying to update the drivers on my x1600 and the HDTV Wonder, which both worked properly beforehand.

Did you just upgrade to the latest video drivers or did you completely uninstall the MMC and then attempt to upgrade that as well?

When I only updated the video drivers and did not touch MMC, everything worked as before without any issues. When I did upgrade the video drivers and MMC, I was sure to go thru the complete uninstall procedure and re-install everything (even going as far as removing registry entries) the DVD de-coder, .net, drivers, and then MMC. ATI products have always been particular with installs and you have to be mindful of even the order in which you install each component. And, if you don't follow the recommended procedure (which is on the ATI support site) you can bugger the whole thing.

Good luck!

I followed their procedure very closely, and I removed everything before installing the updates. They were installed in the suggested order, and MMC is the only thing that I can see not working -- the new 1600 driver worked fine, and Catalyst is offering me no troubles. I've gone through their process 3 times, with no luck. No matter what I do, MMC starts the install up to the "Preparing Installation" box, with nothing happening afterwards (box disappears, and the install does not continue). The card should still be functioning, and I know there is something I can do; but, ATI (or AMD or whatever) Customer Service has been very dodgy in helping me figure out what that is. I've been fooling with them for a week and a half with only two short replies with not a word to me about the problem that was very clearly explained as being my priority.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 1:55:43 AM

Quote:
I followed their procedure very closely, and I removed everything before installing the updates. They were installed in the suggested order, and MMC is the only thing that I can see not working -- the new 1600 driver worked fine, and Catalyst is offering me no troubles. I've gone through their process 3 times, with no luck. No matter what I do, MMC starts the install up to the "Preparing Installation" box, with nothing happening afterwards (box disappears, and the install does not continue). The card should still be functioning, and I know there is something I can do; but, ATI (or AMD or whatever) Customer Service has been very dodgy in helping me figure out what that is. I've been fooling with them for a week and a half with only two short replies with not a word to me about the problem that was very clearly explained as being my priority.

This may sound stupid and be a stupid question but did you reboot after installing each component and before trying to install the next?

It's not the hardware/card itself, it's definitely a software issue; specifically it sounds like the MMC installer. Once, I was dl'ing mass content from the newgroups also while dl'ing the ATI drivers and installers, long story short the ATI installer got buggered up and it wasn't until I re-dl'ed it that the installer took. It may also sound stupid, but try dl'ing the MMC installer from another location or another machine and then see if it takes. Hey, try it, what do you have to lose?!
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 2:02:50 AM

Quote:
we should stop calling it ati and start calling it by its real name
AMD. if we dont then it will be harder for us to get things done as a forum. if we complain we should be heard, if we use ati then amd can just hide and pretend they are a different company

What?!?! That's like saying if you have an issue with a Skoda, you should call Volkswagen to lodge your complaint.

The only person who would seem to be confused by referring to ATI and ATI products is you. Puh-leez.

Totally off-topic - I would like to see Skoda sold in the States and I'm looking forward to the Smart Car come 2008.
March 30, 2007 6:57:31 AM

Quote:

This may sound stupid and be a stupid question but did you reboot after installing each component and before trying to install the next?

It's not the hardware/card itself, it's definitely a software issue; specifically it sounds like the MMC installer. Once, I was dl'ing mass content from the newgroups also while dl'ing the ATI drivers and installers, long story short the ATI installer got buggered up and it wasn't until I re-dl'ed it that the installer took. It may also sound stupid, but try dl'ing the MMC installer from another location or another machine and then see if it takes. Hey, try it, what do you have to lose?!

Don't worry about it. I appreciate your trying to help. I did reboot after each component as one of the possible fixes but that didn't do it for me. I've even tried removing everything form my computer (X1600 stuff and HDTV Wonder stuff; all ATI including the DAO) and re-installing back to what was working before, but MMC still would not install. Now that is frustrating! Does this sound like another registry issue? I'm not finding anything like I did for the Remote Wonder fix -- the MMC install was tried before and after that fix, with no luck. ATI still doesn't have a clue, because I got another reply directing me to the same crap on their site!! I'm going to try to call them and see if their phone-based customer service is any better -- I've heard otherwise, but it's worth a shot. Like I hinted at before, I'm no pro, but I know my way around a computer pretty well; however, after trying everything EXACTLY as directed, I am getting no response from this software. I fully understand install and uninstall protocol and the deviations that may come up. I understand that problems arise, but this support is severely lacking (I feel like I'm getting much more focused attempts here, after supplying a much more vague description of my problem).
March 30, 2007 7:12:03 AM

I don't know if this applies or not, but are you running any anti-virus software? I always disable my anti-virus before installing any programs, due to possible problems.

Gary
March 31, 2007 7:35:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know if this applies or not, but are you running any anti-virus software? I always disable my anti-virus before installing any programs, due to possible problems.

Gary

Yeah, I always disable before an install or repair. That's pretty much my standard procedure, plus it is suggested in ATI's install instructions. Everything but MMC installs fine with it disabled. Indeed, I've had software installs give me trouble, but I have never had software this stubborn before. Most of these little tricks fix any install problem, but this beast is not backing down from anything.
March 31, 2007 9:19:17 AM

the R600 is still ATI's baby, nothing to do with AMD...
(except being slowed down dure to the adquisition)

when they start R700 or beyond, then we'll talk business D:
April 1, 2007 5:37:11 AM

boo f'ing hoo you damn hardware nub. i bet turning on a gameboy confuses you. ATI pizzowns
April 1, 2007 7:39:24 AM

Quote:
boo f'ing hoo you damn hardware nub. i bet turning on a gameboy confuses you. ATI pizzowns

Well that was a well constructed response :roll: All mighty hardware genius, dost thou hath advice for the "nub" which is thine own disposition? :lol:  Thanks everyone for your help. I'll run back through everything a couple times, and I'll also try to get it running on another machine. At least the kind responses here helped reinforce my feeling of having done everything as it should have been done, and my not just whining for no reason. Good stuff
February 24, 2009 3:52:41 AM

Since ATI and Radeon are now AMD products and there is nothing but garbage support for ATI and Radeon I am going to have to scrap my Radeon 7000 and TV Wonder Pro boards. I have never owned an AMD computer and now, never will if this reflects their customer service.

I have spent days trying to get the Wonder Pro to work. It once did, before I had a virus attack and had to start over on a new hard drive. The original disks that came with the Radeon and Wonder Pro do not work and the messages keep telling me to update drivers and software which tell me that my original disks are not authorized disks and therefore new drivers and software will not load. I have loaded and unloaded so many drivers and other software that I am at my wits end.

Some of you wise guys out there may call me names, but I have consulted with several service people who just throw up their hands.
February 24, 2009 9:22:52 AM

lol!
!