Any AGP DX10 news ???

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
PCIe zeolots, please don't reply with your pushy sermons about changing the motherboard and getting PCIe. This post is for people interested in AGP DX10.

I have not heard anything in about a month.

Anybody heard any reliable news.

Keep waiting little fishy!
comp08mp1.gif

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
PCIe zeolots, please don't reply with your pushy sermons about changing the motherboard and getting PCIe. This post is for people interested in AGP DX10.

So your new Direct X10 videocard can be bottlenecked by the rest of your outdated system?

wbsl3030

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
It might be tough for older cpu's to keep up with dx10 games. As of now, the agp market is quite small, and with dx10 it will most likely shrink even more. I have an agp board (running a 2.4 northwood) and am desperately trying to keep it in gaming condition but it seems that eventually I'll probably have to face reality and upgrade

It just doesn't seem cost effective for a manufacturer to make agp dx10 cards, but who knows what they'll do.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i agree that it would be doubtful as well... though not impossible, which means you can keep waiting if you want, but it is highly unlikely itll happen either way, amd still doesnt even have theirs out yet... so you can wait up to another year or more to see what comes out for AGP

although youre reluctant to hear... an example of interface limitations was given in a recent article on THG, the 8800s are bottlenecked by the AGP 8X (PCIe 8x) bandwidth http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci_express_scaling_analysis/ ...and yet to be released cards will most likely be relatively close to on par with that performance, if not faster... to make newer and more demanding DX10 games still playable

AGP can be compared to 33MHz PCI in this respect, we have now officially reached the point where AGP (much like 33MHz PCI was) is too slow to not bottleneck current GPUs... because unless they happen to come out with an AGP 16x slot, its not looking very bright either way

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
thats from the inquirer too... on average theyre only 50% correct about anything, being as how theyre a rumor site. for the most part anything from the inquirer should be taken with some skepticism, as either somewhat true, or completely wrong.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The fact that the 8600 is pin compatible with the 7600 is not a rumour, so development cost for an 8600 AGP is effectively zero.

Mark my word on this; we will see DX 10 AGP cards, but probably from only a few vendors. There is no reason not to do this.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
im not saying there wont be, all the better if there is. im just saying the inquirer isnt usually a credible/reliable source of information, being as how the theinquirer.org in itself 'is' a rumor site, but if there are other well known credible sites that back up what the inquirer says, no reason to doubt at all really then

the only question i would have then really, is if the agp interface would offer enough bandwidth for an 8600 series cards (we already know the bandwidth of 8x agp is a bottleneck for the 8800 series)

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
You're too cheap to upgrade the rest of your system (I've said it before, $350 gets you a new motherboard, processor, 1GB of RAM, and a placeholder graphics card) yet you want to pay very hefty premiums to put a DX10 compatible card in that will be held back? :roll:

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
You're too cheap to upgrade the rest of your system (I've said it before, $350 gets you a new motherboard, processor, 1GB of RAM, and a placeholder graphics card) yet you want to pay very hefty premiums to put a DX10 compatible card in that will be held back? :roll:

I sometimes wish I had just gone for a 1950pro AGP, it cost me $1200 effectly to upgrade to a PCI express 1950pro

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
As of now, the agp market is quite small, and with dx10 it will most likely shrink even more.

Rubbish!!!

Its not small at all, its just not being supplied with enough cards.

Why is it that all the AGP ATI cards are always sold on out on most UK Hardware suppliers websites??

This is spearheaded by Microsoft and its ridiculous stance on having windows Vista as the only DX10 OS.

Forcing you to upgrade because the over bloated piece of shit OS needs new hardware to run, meaning PCI-E and high end graphics cards to get your windows performance score up.

This is all such a load of rubbish, and is what happens when one company has complete dominance of the market.

We are being FORCED to do all this. It is not by choice..

You wanna the latest graphics hombre??....why of course....you will need all this and then have no choice as to what OS to run it on.

TWATS!.

/Rant over :evil:

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

So your new Direct X10 videocard can be bottlenecked by the rest of your outdated system?
well you could have a fx60 on agp which is still a good cpu and can give the 8800 some serious power

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

well you could have a fx60 on agp which is still a good cpu and can give the 8800 some serious power

If you have an FX60 - you can upgrade to PCI express for like $60 - you WOULD be silly not to... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131033

The bigger problem is for people with still very good socket A systems, I have (my old PC that the kids use now) an Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) running at 2.5GHz with 400MHz FSB and 2GB of low latency DDR400, this is still a quick PC, but there is no PCI express upgrade path - I had to buy just about everything new.

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
You forgot a new power supply and a PCI IDE for our old legacy hard drives. Oh, and a new OS (unless you have purchased full Retail instead of OEM). You can't forget new cooling if you get an OEM processor................. :roll:

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
We all have to upgrade sooner or later, wheter we want to or not.
Just bite down hard, take it up the a**, wipe the tear from your eye and move on =/.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
We all have to upgrade sooner or later, wheter we want to or not.

Yep - just for some it can be later... AGP DX 10 cards will come, and they will sell..

Yes of course if you want to, you could.
If you see yourself using the same computer in a year or two then you should go ahead and improve it.
If you need to upgrade most of it in 6 months it might not be such a good idea.
Do i make any sense, im busy at work? =)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
As of now, the agp market is quite small, and with dx10 it will most likely shrink even more.

Rubbish!!!

Its not small at all, its just not being supplied with enough cards.

Why is it that all the AGP ATI cards are always sold on out on most UK Hardware suppliers websites??

You just told us why, no supply, which implies there is a demand in excess of supply. :wink:

However, this isn't indicative of how many cards they sell, just that they sell more then they get in supply. If they get 2 cards a week and sell out, that is alot different than getting 2000 cards and selling out. With out more information you can't conclude for/against the implications behind being out of stock on a specific manufacturers card.

TRENDING THREADS