What's wrong with male heroes? (Or: Why don't I find teams?)

Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 3:16:11 AM

Hello

I'm wondering why I have problems finding teams. Is it perhaps because
I mostly play male heroes and most players like to have chicks in their
groups? I've played male defenders, scrappers, tanks, and blasters and
only occasionally found a group to play with. That's why I most often
stop at level 10 and create a new hero because it's getting to hard to
level alone at that stage.

On the other hand my experience with a female blaster during the
European beta a couple of weeks ago was the complete opposite
experience. I already got invites while being in the tutorial zone. And
it never stopped. People wanted her in her team, although she was just
a devices blaster.

I don't understand this...

~T.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:16:12 AM

"Thomas Adams" <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello
|
| I'm wondering why I have problems finding teams. Is it perhaps because
| I mostly play male heroes and most players like to have chicks in their
| groups? I've played male defenders, scrappers, tanks, and blasters and
| only occasionally found a group to play with. That's why I most often
| stop at level 10 and create a new hero because it's getting to hard to
| level alone at that stage.
|
| On the other hand my experience with a female blaster during the
| European beta a couple of weeks ago was the complete opposite
| experience. I already got invites while being in the tutorial zone. And
| it never stopped. People wanted her in her team, although she was just
| a devices blaster.
|
| I don't understand this...
|
| ~T.

The jiggly wiggly factor.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:16:12 AM

"Thomas Adams" <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm wondering why I have problems finding teams. Is it perhaps because
> I mostly play male heroes and most players like to have chicks in their
> groups? I've played male defenders, scrappers, tanks, and blasters and
> only occasionally found a group to play with. That's why I most often
> stop at level 10 and create a new hero because it's getting to hard to
> level alone at that stage.
>
> On the other hand my experience with a female blaster during the
> European beta a couple of weeks ago was the complete opposite
> experience. I already got invites while being in the tutorial zone. And
> it never stopped. People wanted her in her team, although she was just
> a devices blaster.

I never had a problem.

My Level 18 (male) Blaster usually has several invites over the course of a
gaming session.

It may be that, with the recent demise of the Winter Lord, there's a glut of
characters at your level.

I am noticing what you are about trying to solo missions. I'm gonna have to
start putting my own teams together and learning how to lead effectively. I
have a Council mission in Steel Canyon that will either crawl at a snail's
pace as I pull, nail some of the guys coming at me and run from the rest,
heal, finish the group, heal move on.

--
Vorlonagent, level 18 Blaster: Electric/Energy, Guardian
Steel Night, Level 16 Tanker, Invulnerable/Super-Strength, Virtue

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand this...

It's... it's your deodorant. Beating up foes without good protection REALLY
causes... uh... problems.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:19:36 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> There's also maybe the hope that a female toon = a female player who is
> more likely to be polite and not be an attention deficient moron who'll
> get everyone killed.

Right on. While 48% of female characters (in EQ at least) are played by
males, that still means over half are played by actual females who don't
suffer from the instinctive need to impress people by flirting with death.

Also, this may just be a hunch, but it seems to me that gaming girls start
a bit later than gaming boys - either that or they are more clueful in
childhood. If you find someone utterly clueless in a MMORPG, it is usually
an underage boy.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:54:41 PM

Thomas Adams wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>>> There's also maybe the hope that a female toon = a female player
who
>>> is more likely to be polite and not be an attention deficient moron
>>> who'll get everyone killed.
>>
>> Right on. While 48% of female characters (in EQ at least) are played
>> by males
>
> Only 48%? Not more than that? Are you sure? ;)

Someone with a lot of free time on their hands actually did surveys of
the EQ population, a few years ago. His results on this issue can be
found here:

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/genderbend.html

In a nutshell, yes, only 48%. Men were more likely to play female
characters than women, and there were a lot more male players than
female.

It's quite an interesting site (especially, if you're into statistics
and demographics). My experience with the IRL people behind the
characters that I've met doesn't really jive with his findings, but I
think his findings were a lot more scientific than my experience (about
85% of the female characters who I forged RL friendships with were
played by females).
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:35:26 AM

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:

>> There's also maybe the hope that a female toon = a female player who
>> is more likely to be polite and not be an attention deficient moron
>> who'll get everyone killed.
>
> Right on. While 48% of female characters (in EQ at least) are played
> by males

Only 48%? Not more than that? Are you sure? ;)

> that still means over half are played by actual females who
> don't suffer from the instinctive need to impress people by flirting
> with death.

Like the blaster I had a quicky with in The Hollows a couple of minutes
ago. He needed to defeat 10 Trolls and rather than picking them one by
one he threw fireballs at the mobs. After the first time and nearly
being killed I told him that it would be better to single the Trolls
out. He said sure, and threw his fireball again.

Sometimes I'm glad I opted for healing pool powers instead of flight.

~T.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:14:32 PM

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:19:36 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> There's also maybe the hope that a female toon = a female player who is
>> more likely to be polite and not be an attention deficient moron who'll
>> get everyone killed.
>
>Right on. While 48% of female characters (in EQ at least) are played by
>males, that still means over half are played by actual females who don't
>suffer from the instinctive need to impress people by flirting with death.
>
>Also, this may just be a hunch, but it seems to me that gaming girls start
>a bit later than gaming boys - either that or they are more clueful in
>childhood. If you find someone utterly clueless in a MMORPG, it is usually
>an underage boy.

It may in part be due to starting later, but there's also the "fact"
that girls tend to mature a bit faster than boys.

Combine that with the lack of a need to "impress" people by acting like
an idiot and the willingness to actually listen to advice and you end up
with someone who is much nicer to team with.

Young women don't seem to have a problem admitting that they don't know
everything about a game, while the young men on the other hand insist
angrily "I know how to play".

Machismo is a bit silly and annoying in the real world, in a toon it's
ridiculous.

Xocyll
February 22, 2005 10:52:03 AM

>I'd guess that given a chance to develop a large mid-upper level
population
>of characters, and a more experienced player base, the European
servers will
>show pretty light pre-teen level grouping as well.

Im on the EU servers are most people seem to be mid teens to early
twenties with a few power levellers on the verge of 40.

Still plenty of level 1-10 about that they do seem less then a few
weeks ago.
February 22, 2005 11:31:22 AM

"Thomas Adams" <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote
> Hello
>
> I'm wondering why I have problems finding teams. Is it perhaps because
> I mostly play male heroes and most players like to have chicks in their
> groups? I've played male defenders, scrappers, tanks, and blasters and
> only occasionally found a group to play with. That's why I most often
> stop at level 10 and create a new hero because it's getting to hard to
> level alone at that stage.
>
> On the other hand my experience with a female blaster during the
> European beta a couple of weeks ago was the complete opposite
> experience. I already got invites while being in the tutorial zone. And
> it never stopped. People wanted her in her team, although she was just
> a devices blaster.
>
> I don't understand this...

This may just be a matter of server age.

If I recall the early days of COH release (I was one of the pre-order folks,
that got a few days of Beta in before the actual release), grouping was
fairly common in the pre-10 levels. Gradually, as people learned how easy
it was to ramp a character up to 10 real quick, this lessened. These days,
when I start a new character, I don't get a bevy of invites, people tend to
create the char, run it up to the mid-upper teens (when the character class
and specialization really starts to kick in), and then join up with the same
folks they've been playing with on their higher level characters. Even when
they group in the early levels, they often group with people they know that
have also started up a lower level alternate.

I'd guess that given a chance to develop a large mid-upper level population
of characters, and a more experienced player base, the European servers will
show pretty light pre-teen level grouping as well.

FirePlug
!