Chipset fan question

Bolgard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Hey all - my mobo chipset fan just died. I have a new one on order, and my system seems to be reasonably stable, but I had a question regarding overall performance - would a little extra heat of the mobo cause a degredation in overall performance of the machine, or is the mobo one of those things where either it works or it doesn't?

Forgive my ignorance - I love these forums, I've been learning a lot here recently.

Much thanks,

-Bolgard

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
I gather you are considering not replacing the Chipset fan, since your system appears to be working. You are taking a chance for sure. Instability is what you will get as the chipset gets too hot (have you tried touching the chipset it while you are running a benchmark, prepare to be shocked how hot it gets without a fan or proper heatsink)

I have great success with Zalman for replacement chipset coolers. Added to that I would recommend at least a fan near the inside front of your case to pull air in and at least one fan at the rear to pull air out. That will usually provide all the cooling you need for the average system.

Bolgard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Oh no, I'm definitely planning on replacing it - I was just wondering if I was putting my system in serious peril by running it in the meantime while I'm waiting for delivery :)

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Well it certainly is possible to burn up a chipset from excessive heat. you are taking a risk. You might be OK but it wasn't designed to work without active cooling of some type. Hopefully the heatsink alone without the fan will provide enough cooling. There really is no easy way to tell without measuring the surface temp. of the chipset and this would depend on what you are doing with the computer. Playing a intense game is going to put more stress on the chipset then just surfing around the Internet.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Oh no, I'm definitely planning on replacing it - I was just wondering if I was putting my system in serious peril by running it in the meantime while I'm waiting for delivery :)

Just stay away from overclocking until you're delivery comes but it shouldn't give you too much trouble temperature wise.