April Confrontation: AMD and Intel Start the Price War

RichPLS

Champion
By the way, it is remarkable that as the table suggests all AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors will be selling at less than $230. This way AMD admits openly that this processor family can no longer compete with the fastest representatives of the Intel Core 2 Duo family. In other words, AMD Athlon 64 X2 will no longer be positioned as a high-end solution: now it is just a dual-core solution for mainstream and budget systems.

Like has been noted, AMD is under a lot of duress.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
START???

8O 8O 8O

Essentially, yes.

Remember, this is Intel's first price cut on the C2D line since launch, 9 months ago, during July 2006. About time I'd say...

I was just playin man lol 8)

So far, yes, there has been a one sided war lol.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
after reading through the article i am thoroughly amazed at how well he x2 architecture holds up against core2duo, with the exception of overclocking of course. But for most mainstream users who are not into overclocking it looks like AMD still offers a better deal over current hardware

This shows great signs of AMD beating intel significantly with its new architecture

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
after reading through the article i am thoroughly amazed at how well he x2 architecture holds up against core2duo, with the exception of overclocking of course. But for most mainstream users who are not into overclocking it looks like AMD still offers a better deal over current hardware

This shows great signs of AMD beating intel significantly with its new architecture

you are on drugs right?
the x2 arch does not hold up against c2d. it gets destroyed without overclocking.
most mainstream users dont give a crap if its amd or intel only what the price is and what the features are. the old pentiums D's are what amd is competing with not the c2D.
2 things i am pissed off by are why did amd do the socket change after making us all think we could upgrade and second why are the prices so low now?
i gave up on them and got a E6600 and it rocks

Did you read the article clearly?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

you are on drugs right?
the x2 arch does not hold up against c2d. it gets destroyed without overclocking.
most mainstream users dont give a crap if its amd or intel only what the price is and what the features are. the old pentiums D's are what amd is competing with not the c2D.
2 things i am pissed off by are why did amd do the socket change after making us all think we could upgrade and second why are the prices so low now?
i gave up on them and got a E6600 and it rocks

Did you read the article clearly?

Obviously not, since from the E4300/X2 4400+ up Intel and AMD are within 5% of each other price/performance wise. This is close enough to a toss up (Baron's gonna love this ;) ;) ) that the consumer wins either way since there is no 'bad choice' (just avoid the goddamn PDs of course!).

Things like mobo price (AM2 has the advantage), RAM requirements (Intel has the advantage as high speed DDR2 is not necessary for good performance), power consumption (Intel has an advantage at load, AMD is a bit better at idle) and of course 'overclockability' (Intel clearly ahead on this one) will be the main deciding factors for most people.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
One good thing for the article is that they use the Pentium D 925 as the baseline for performance.

So I will say to Tom's again, why the f**k are you still using a P4 5xx series processor for the baseline??!!1

Those prices look really nice. Too bad I upgraded my S939 a few months back for one last go. :cry: With these prices, I could have built a beast for a little more money!!

Now maybe I can talk my brother into upgrading his Athlon XP 2800+ :roll: