how to send files through a network.

Theangryurchin

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
What i want to do is Send all of my music to my family room computer, instead of on my computers hard drive. But still be able to acess it from wmp whenever i want.

I already tried sharing the file from my computer, then copy it to that computers HD. But that computer and my computer don't seem connected. I tried to connect to workgroup computers, but it always says that its not accessible.
So i made a new one called home instead of mshome (primarily because my computer can't seem to acess workgroup computers, like the option is not available in my network connections) But on the family computer it always trys to connect to mshome, instead of home and i don't know how to fix it.

I'm out of ideas, and lost on what to do.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
To turn on file and printer sharing you need to open the port (rt click on port), then select properties. You will find a Option to Start File and Printer Sharing. Once the service is started you then need to select the folder, rt click then share.

Be aware of the security risk. If you take the NB away from your home network, I recommend disabling file and printer sharing. And make sure your firewall is active.

Theangryurchin

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I realized the problem was that they were on two different workgroups.

Now lets say my pc is A, and the family room pc is B

I am able to access A, from B, but i cannot access B from A. It says i can't access B from A and contact system administrator, then 3 lines down it says Path not found

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Must have file and printer sharing turned on both pc's. And files shared.

It works best if you have your Id on both pc's .

Otherwise you have to select login as a different user, when you add a network connection.

silvyb

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
did all the above - can share the files but not transfer them - administrator permission required... I'm the only administrator and I've allowed every sharing and permission I could find anywhere - and I transferred some music files once except some didn't go thru and now can't transfer anything and I haven't changed anything - How's that even possible?. One laptop (window 7 pro) found the printer but can't install it for no good reason, just an error message, the other (windows 8.1) can't even find it.