newbie question: Which PDA to buy?

June 26, 2005 4:30:07 PM

Hi all,

Jsut discovered this newsgroup and hope somebody might help me deicde which
pda to buy.

Here are the things I'd like to do:

1) Browse the net

2) Use usenet to post and read messages like i do now with this ISP I'm on
now

3) use AOL and yahoo for IM chat and to send mail (maybe send and receive
attatchments)

4) have a built in keyboard

5) Have bluetooth and wi-fi (for my home network) and in addition to that i
guess, guess, a carrier like sprint too, so i can access the web while
travelling in the USA.

6) also the ability to play wmv, divx, mpeg 1 and 2 that i have as video
files on my hard drive from my tv tuner.Big screen 3.5 or bigger, good
landscape viewing

7) Pocket pc's vs palm, dont know which way to go

8) phone

9) use my own wav's as ringtones

10) good solid connectivity throughoutthe country and in my home

Money is no object, any recommendations?

Basically the units i have researched are
treo 650, verizon vm6600 ipaq 4715, 6500

Any others?

TIA,

Jeff
June 27, 2005 1:11:23 AM

"jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi all,
>
> Jsut discovered this newsgroup and hope somebody might help me deicde
> which
> pda to buy.
>
> Here are the things I'd like to do:
>
> 1) Browse the net

XDA 2s

> 2) Use usenet to post and read messages like i do now with this ISP I'm on
> now

xda 2S

> 3) use AOL and yahoo for IM chat and to send mail (maybe send and receive
> attatchments)

XDA 2S

> 4) have a built in keyboard

XDA 2S

> 5) Have bluetooth and wi-fi (for my home network) and in addition to that
> guess, guess, a carrier like sprint too, so i can access the web while
> travelling in the USA.

Bluetooth, Wifi, wireless lan, quad band GPRS

> 6) also the ability to play wmv, divx, mpeg 1 and 2 that i have as video
> files on my hard drive from my tv tuner.Big screen 3.5 or bigger, good
> landscape viewing

absolutely. Good landscape with WIM 2nd edition

> 7) Pocket pc's vs palm, dont know which way to go

pocket pc all the way!

> 8) phone

works great as phone. Better if you have a BT headset

> 9) use my own wav's as ringtones

I do!

> 10) good solid connectivity throughoutthe country and in my home

as above

> Money is no object, any recommendations?

piss offf!!!
;-)))
June 27, 2005 1:11:24 AM

"Bianca" <bianca.ns@bianca.it> wrote in message

> "jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Jsut discovered this newsgroup and hope somebody might help me deicde
>> which
>> pda to buy.
>>
>> Here are the things I'd like to do:
>>
>> 1) Browse the net
>
> XDA 2s
>>
>> 2) Use usenet to post and read messages like i do now with this ISP I'm
>> on
>> now
>
> xda 2S
>>
>> 3) use AOL and yahoo for IM chat and to send mail (maybe send and receive
>> attatchments)
>
> XDA 2S
>>
>> 4) have a built in keyboard
>
> XDA 2S
>>
>> 5) Have bluetooth and wi-fi (for my home network) and in addition to that
>> guess, guess, a carrier like sprint too, so i can access the web while
>> travelling in the USA.
>
> Bluetooth, Wifi, wireless lan, quad band GPRS
>>
>> 6) also the ability to play wmv, divx, mpeg 1 and 2 that i have as video
>> files on my hard drive from my tv tuner.Big screen 3.5 or bigger, good
>> landscape viewing
>
> absolutely. Good landscape with WIM 2nd edition
>>
>> 7) Pocket pc's vs palm, dont know which way to go
>
> pocket pc all the way!
>>
>> 8) phone
>
> works great as phone. Better if you have a BT headset
>>
>> 9) use my own wav's as ringtones
>
> I do!
>>
>> 10) good solid connectivity throughoutthe country and in my home
>
> as above
>>
>> Money is no object, any recommendations?
>>
> piss offf!!!
> ;-)))

Thank you!!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 27, 2005 1:11:24 AM

Bianca,

looks though as this is UK only, is there a comparable USA version since i
live in the USA?

Jeff
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:06:18 AM

"jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Bianca,
>
> looks though as this is UK only, is there a comparable USA version since i
> live in the USA?

Look for the MDA III, I think that's what it might be called in the US.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
June 29, 2005 2:06:17 AM

"jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bianca,
> looks though as this is UK only, is there a comparable USA version since i
> live in the USA?
> Jeff
Jeff, take a look at this. It's the exact same machine:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=I-MATE_III

Here in Italy it's called Qtek, but we also have the i-mate version.
Northern Europe it's called XDA. I saw other names around but it's still HTC
(the company that mede HP's PDA's). I had HP for years, but once I moved to
HTC/Qtek, I'm never going back. Let me know what you think about it :-)
June 29, 2005 4:12:51 PM

> "jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Bianca,
>> looks though as this is UK only, is there a comparable USA version since
>> i live in the USA?
>> Jeff
> Jeff, take a look at this. It's the exact same machine:
> http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=I-MATE_III
>
> Here in Italy it's called Qtek, but we also have the i-mate version.
> Northern Europe it's called XDA. I saw other names around but it's still
> HTC (the company that mede HP's PDA's). I had HP for years, but once I
> moved to HTC/Qtek, I'm never going back. Let me know what you think about
> it :-)

Bianca,

Beautiful unit, identical to our audiovox 6600 excpet this one has wi-fi
built in and is unlocked. I need to use Sprint here in the USA and that uses
CDMA, I'm not sure this will work on the Sprint network here.

I'm new at this and have to learn more about what unlocked means.

Jeff
June 30, 2005 2:30:43 AM

> Beautiful unit, identical to our audiovox 6600

you know what? I saw the Audiovox on a US magazin last week and noticed it
looked identical to my Qtek (and the imate, and MDA, and XDA,...). HTC is at
it again!

> excpet this one has wi-fi built in and is unlocked. I need to use Sprint
> here in the USA and that uses CDMA, I'm not sure this will work on the
> Sprint network here.
> I'm new at this and have to learn more about what unlocked means.

Unlocked means you can use it with any sim card and any GSM system in the
world. Some telecom compnaies "lock" the telephone, so you can only use
their own sim-cards. Usually you sign a contract withthem for a year, afetr
which they unlock your phone and you can go to another operator. But this is
not the case. This is something to watch when you buy any phone. I know more
than one who bought on Ebay in Germany or UK, than had to "illegaly" unlock
the phone, invalidating the guarantee.
Expansys is not bad, I just bought a handsfree BT head set from them, and
they're efficient.
Bye!
Bianca
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:16:05 AM

"jeff" <jeff@somewhere.net> of wrote:
>Beautiful unit, identical to our audiovox 6600 excpet this one has wi-fi
>built in and is unlocked. I need to use Sprint here in the USA and that uses
>CDMA, I'm not sure this will work on the Sprint network here.

CDMA and GSM are two competing incompatible mobile phone systems. Networks
are one or the other; you have to get the appropriate phone for the network.
There are various Pocket PC Phone Edition machines made by HTC sold by
different vendors with different names. Some of these come in only GSM
varieties, some come in GSM and CDMA versions. I know that T-Mobile in US
do GSM machines for their GSM networks, but I don't know what CDMA versions
are available. However at least you now know what you need if you want to
use the Sprint network.
--
Character develops itself in the stream of life.
Goethe

"Steph Peters" <xda@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.delete.invalid> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:lun8c1p7vshv217r18ng0ddibgpvpt6taq@4ax.com...
> I know that T-Mobile in US do GSM machines for their GSM networks, but I
> don't know what CDMA versions
> are available. However at least you now know what you need if you want to
> use the Sprint network.
> --

and here it is:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/audiovox_PPC6601.htm