What about Core Temp 0.95 'Delta to Tjunction'

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core Temp
  • Temperature
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 29, 2007 7:20:22 AM

Why are we worried about absolute temperatures?

Why don't we just compare the Core Temp 0.95 'Delta to Tjunction' readings? Core Temp supposedly pulls this value straight from the CPU register. It has undergrone no post processing. No guessing of what Tjunction is. But it does indicate the temperature delta from the Intel set 'way too hot' temperature.

Somebody riddle me why that reading is not considered *the* temperature reading of concern when overclocking.

More about : core temp delta tjunction

March 29, 2007 11:46:19 PM

I read your post fine sir. And I agree with you. The guide is great as it is.

But can we have a discussion on 'delta to tjunction' completely outside the guide? I wonder if you would care to share your opinion?

The IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET MSR on the chip. This seems to be what Core Temp reads to interrogate the DTS of the cpu. Then calculations are done to determine the absolute temperature. But the calculation requires some guessing. But the new Core Temp can be set to display 'delta to tjunction' which is the value read straight from the MSR. Shouldn't this value be a good measure of the relative temperature of the CPU?
March 30, 2007 12:13:52 AM

Quote:
I read your post fine sir. And I agree with you. The guide is great as it is.

But can we have a discussion on 'delta to tjunction' completely outside the guide? I wonder if you would care to share your opinion?

The IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET MSR on the chip. This seems to be what Core Temp reads to interrogate the DTS of the cpu. Then calculations are done to determine the absolute temperature. But the calculation requires some guessing. But the new Core Temp can be set to display 'delta to tjunction' which is the value read straight from the MSR. Shouldn't this value be a good measure of the relative temperature of the CPU?

If it's unmodified, and this is in fact the reading that software is using to determine the current temp as a percentage of the Tjunction max, then I think you're right.
!