Jimster

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Can't figure out how this started happening, but whenever I reboot NT Workstation, the entire C: and D: drives are shared, not what I want to happen. In order for non-adminstrator accounts to access, for example MS Office apps, they are prompted for an administrator account and password. This means that I must go in and unshare the drives. I've asked others about this and everybody so far has said the problem is in the registry but no one has been able to tell me exactly where. Searching the registry with likely key words turns up nothing.

Jim Nathan :?

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Are you sure the problem is shares? By default all versons of NT (NT4,2K & XP) have a default "ADMIN" share on all drives (C$, D$ etc).

This sounds more of a pemissions problem. If you can log on as a user then you have access to the c: drive (and winnt for that matter. Try the folder permissons on Program Files folder and reset all child folder permisions (under the advanded button).

If you are still having problems then reply with more details (what software and error message) and I will try to work it out.