Sign in with
Your question

New System Overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
March 29, 2007 8:58:12 AM

Im have never overclocked but I just built a brand new system and want to speed it up. Problem is i think i have over researched and now my head is spinning. I would like to bump up my E6600 to around 3-3.2. My new system specs are

E6600 Duo2 cooled by Zalman 9700
Abit In9 32-MAX motherboard
2x1Gig Mushkin XP2-8500
2x150gb Raptor X's in raid 0
EVGA 8800 GTX(superclocked)
Razer Barracuda soundcard
Antec 900 case
Thermaltake 700W toughpower powersupply
Added fan to northbridge heatsink

Thanks in advance for repsonses

More about : system overclocking

March 29, 2007 9:35:46 AM

I just did my first overclock and was really simple. I have an Asus P5B Deluxe so it wont be the same as your motherboard but with the setup you have you should easily get 3.2. I am at 3.24 (9x360) at the moment and other than some weird temperatures (see thread in this forum) its fine. Just read the stickied guide and got for it.
March 29, 2007 9:39:59 AM

Was a piece of cake on my board. I imagine it wont be tough on yours being as it's high end. I just walked a guy through it from a different forum.

First I'm unsure of the memory ratios that you can use with the In9 but there should be a link option then a synch option you can select. This will make your ram run at the same base fsb as your cpu.

Next start raising your FSB about 25-40MHz at a time. Your memory being synced will raise with it. Just keep testing this and seeing if you will boot into windows. The guy I helped was able to hit 3GHz even before he had to raise his VCore from 1.325.

Just follow that process until it wont boot into windows. At that point reset and bump the Vcore until you can get into windows. If you aren't happy with your current OC then start bumping the FSB again until you need more Vcore or you are happy with your OC.

Basically you can follow this procedure until you are maxed on temps or you just can't get a stable FSB. That's the short and sweet version. Make sure you disable any speedstep, CE1 or something like that. Basically anything that will be a power saver which will mess with your multiplier and Vcore automatically.
Related resources
March 29, 2007 6:02:45 PM

I have the same CPU (E6600) with a P5W DH Deluxe mobo and OCZ DDR2-6400 memory, and am just in the process of validating my OC after following Wusy's guide (sticky on CPU forum).

This is not my 1st OC (just upgraded from an OC'd Opteron 170), but I found this guide easy to follow. The OC strategy detailed was a little different to the one I previously followed in that it suggests you increase the voltages first, then identify your max stable OC, then drop the voltages (the previous method I used for the Opteron was similar to previous poster Silviastud). However, other than some strange behaviour with SMBus messages in SpeedFan at higher vCore voltages, everything went as described in the guide.

I'm currently at 3.4GHz (378x9), 45-47C load (22 idle) and am now in the process of dropping the voltages and stress testing.

With your components, I would expect you to achieve 3-3.2 with ease.

I realise how daunting it can be the first time. I spent a lot of time researching before finally deciding to go for it, and there is a lot of information out there - not all of it consistent in it's methodology. However, there are many people here who I'm sure would be more than willing to assist you with any questions or problems you may have (myself included).

And remember: not only do you get increased performance, but there is a great sense of satisfaction and achievement. It's also supposed to be fun :) 
March 30, 2007 12:07:20 AM

It's hours and hours of fun! Haha!
March 30, 2007 5:04:24 PM

Can anyone please tell me what they think about this attempt. U-Guru says pu temp never gets above 39%C during while running supreme commander. Just downloaded orthos and about to give it a shot.

[/code][/list]
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=182542
March 30, 2007 6:14:55 PM

Having checked your validation details, your memory is running significantly below it's capabilities (2:3 ratio 525MHz). PC2-6400 is rated at 800MHz, so you should be able to easily run that at 1:1.

Are you using SPD timings in BIOS, or have they been set manually?

Let me know if you need help setting it manually as it can be a bit confusing on Asus motherboards :?

Other than that, I see your close to your intended target, and well within the capabilities of the processor. Of course, stability is the main thing, so let us know how the stress tests go.

Did you increase any voltages?
March 30, 2007 10:30:38 PM

I didnt notice this before my ram should be PC8500 not 6400. Does it show up as 6400 due to the ram being downclocked? Only thing i really messed with was FSB, CPU voltage which i took to 1.39, and ram voltage which i set at 2.3V and matched the timings of the ram according to what mushkin website posts that it runs at. I ran Orthos for only an hour and had to leave so shut it down. I have been toying with the 1:1 setting s and i have yet to get a solid boot even close to these speeds. However i must admit I am not sure what im doing just toying with it, thats how i got the previously posted settings.
March 31, 2007 9:31:32 AM

Firstly, I should apologise for not checking your original post with the memory specifications :oops:  I was going off the CPU-Z verification, which doesn't always report the correct max bandwidth.

I have also checked how the CPU-Z validation reports the memory frequency, and I believe that your original settings were in fact correct and that I misinterpreted the 2:3 ratio.

If you revert back to your previous settings then all should be ok. The memory should be running at 525MHz (dual channel = 1050MHz) which is pretty much the same as the memory rating.

Once you have confirmed stability (1 hour without problems sounds good so far), then I think the job is done. Do some benchmarks if you like to prove out the increased performance and enjoy :D 
March 31, 2007 10:58:47 AM

I'll have my new E6600 in about a week. Can someone tell me how far I can expect to overclock it with the stock cooler? I was hoping for 3ghz, maybe a bit more.
March 31, 2007 6:35:12 PM

Right around 3ghz like you are hoping.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2007 7:31:46 PM

James10, understand that every silicon nano-circuit is unique, and C2D's have nearly 300,00,000 transistors. Each has slightly different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same batch fabrication, with the same stepping codes, may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same voltage, at the same temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Successful overclocking is achieved through small increments, and takes a great deal of time and patience. There is no way to predict how well any CPU will respond, so all that can be said is what is "typical". There are no gaurantees that you'll reach a particular overclocking target until you try.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
!