Nexus northbridge cooler

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Two of the aforementioned coolers arrived at my place the other day. Today I've installed one in my primary rig (see signature).
A dual prime95 showed 28C (with 24C being ambient temp) after 15 minutes testing. The stock one was at 32C in the same situation. Now prime probably doesn't stress the chipset as much as stuff like sandra or pcmark may, but since the situation for both stock and nexus heatsink were the same it's fair to say it works. I haven't tested if I can go beyold 292 fsb yet, as I'd have to reset the bios if I fail, and doing so requires me to remove the vga card and some cables that are stripsed.

The installation was fairly straight forward. There are 3 types of install - one with long thin arms with hooks, one with springs on a plastic thing, and one with screws. So it should fit anywhere. It came with a tube like that of as5 but it contains 'only' 1g and it is only 25% silver. It's much lighter in color than the darkish as5, but it seems to do a decent job. At least I've got more confidence in that than the toothpaste looking stock grease.

If anyone cares, here's some pictures of my rig including the cooler (under vga card)

http://www.opel.cc/~material/billeder.php?side=_PC3/

Edit: Specs aren't in my sig at this site. Odd. Anyhow here they are.

Specs:
Asrock 939SLI-eSata2 ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ Opteron 170 @ 288x9 (1.4v)
Scythe Ninja 1100B /w 2x 120mm fans ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ Raptor 36GB system disk
2GB Kingston Hyperx PC3200 @ 236Mhz CL3´ ´ 2x 500GB WD500YS
Thermaltake W0049 (680w psu)´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ Lite-on SHW-160P6S (dvdrw)
Custom desktop case /w 3 120mm FM122 ´ ´ ´ XFX 8800GTX