Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

directv dvr without phone jack

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 12, 2004 7:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

i recently inquired about getting the directv dvr, i do not have a
house line. i was told it was impossible to have service without a
phone hookup. Is this true or is there a work around?

More about : directv dvr phone jack

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 1:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Larry" <vicnielsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:356cac41.0410121454.79ed9026@posting.google.com...
i recently inquired about getting the directv dvr, i do not have a
house line. i was told it was impossible to have service without a
phone hookup. Is this true or is there a work around?

Good question, but probably wrong group to ask. I haven't had DirecTV
for a couple of years, but at one time the only real need for a phone
connection was to keep track of pay-per-view purchases.

Satellite operators really need to address this concern as more people
are ditching their land lines.

Bill
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 8:27:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

If you want it for the hard-drive -- for time-shifting and chasing programs
while they are running, then consider one of the Panasonic DVD recorders
with hard drive. We have had a Panny E-80 DVR, with 80 gig HD, for over a
year and absolutely love it. No guide that automatically adjusts for
changing showtimes, as you would get with a TIVO. You have to handle that
yourself and program it when and what to record. But you can set it to
record the same show every week, re-recording over the old ones each time,
if you want to, so you only have to program once.

The E-80 is an older model. The newer ones have larger hard drives. But I
can store 15 hours of programming at XP (10mbps -- best quality) setting,
which is virtually indistinquishable from the original signal. Since I
erase programs after watching them, I seldom have more than a few hours of
programs on the HD. Can store about 34 hours at SP setting, good enough for
most people.

I saw them on sale at Sears the other day for $399. I have thought about
buying a second one, at those prices.

Won't store HDTV, of course. But you can set it to output SD and DVD
signals to your TV at 16:9 480p.

mack
austin


"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:p -adnRtApOshO_PcRVn-hA@adelphia.com...
>
> "Larry" <vicnielsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:356cac41.0410121454.79ed9026@posting.google.com...
> i recently inquired about getting the directv dvr, i do not have a
> house line. i was told it was impossible to have service without a
> phone hookup. Is this true or is there a work around?
>
> Good question, but probably wrong group to ask. I haven't had DirecTV
> for a couple of years, but at one time the only real need for a phone
> connection was to keep track of pay-per-view purchases.
>
> Satellite operators really need to address this concern as more people
> are ditching their land lines.
>
> Bill
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:21:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:6Oxbd.463$rY1.226@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> If you want it for the hard-drive -- for time-shifting and chasing
programs
> while they are running, then consider one of the Panasonic DVD recorders
> with hard drive. We have had a Panny E-80 DVR, with 80 gig HD, for over a
> year and absolutely love it. No guide that automatically adjusts for
> changing showtimes, as you would get with a TIVO. You have to handle that
> yourself and program it when and what to record. But you can set it to
> record the same show every week, re-recording over the old ones each time,
> if you want to, so you only have to program once.
>

The DirecTV Tivo DVRs have 2 satellite tuners, are capable of recording 2
channels while playing a recording simultaneously, and they give you
playback picture quality which is *exactly* like watching it live, since it
is never converted to analog until you watch it. The Tivo software is
superior -- recording is effortless but very flexible. They're not just a
random-access tapeless VCR like the Panasonic. I would classify it as THE
greatest product I have EVER owned, and I can't wait for the HD version to
come down in price!
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"M Schmidt" <martinschmidt57@hotmail.com> wrote

> The DirecTV Tivo DVRs have 2 satellite tuners, are capable of recording 2
> channels while playing a recording simultaneously, and they give you
> playback picture quality which is *exactly* like watching it live, since
it
> is never converted to analog until you watch it. The Tivo software is
> superior -- recording is effortless but very flexible. They're not just a
> random-access tapeless VCR like the Panasonic. I would classify it as THE
> greatest product I have EVER owned, and I can't wait for the HD version to
> come down in price!

Well, that sounds nice. But those for whom something like the Panny E-80 is
a practical alternative, I can testify that even with a large RPTV display,
the 10mbps XP recording looks exactly like the original signal, or so close
that you will have to go to some effort to tell the difference. Even the
5mbps SP recording is good enough to fool the non-videophile.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:22:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:v1Rbd.1797$sO5.978@fe1.texas.rr.com...

> Well, that sounds nice. But those for whom something like the Panny E-80
is
> a practical alternative, I can testify that even with a large RPTV
display,
> the 10mbps XP recording looks exactly like the original signal, or so
close
> that you will have to go to some effort to tell the difference. Even the
> 5mbps SP recording is good enough to fool the non-videophile.
>
> mack
> austin
>
I'm surprised and encouraged to hear they're working so well. I assumed
poor A/D was going to keep these from performing well. Thanks for the
follow-up.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:22:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"M Schmidt" <martinschmidt57@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<kB%bd.5340$gy1.1078@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
> message news:v1Rbd.1797$sO5.978@fe1.texas.rr.com...
>
> > Well, that sounds nice. But those for whom something like the Panny E-80
> is
> > a practical alternative, I can testify that even with a large RPTV
> display,
> > the 10mbps XP recording looks exactly like the original signal, or so
> close
> > that you will have to go to some effort to tell the difference. Even the
> > 5mbps SP recording is good enough to fool the non-videophile.
> >
> > mack
> > austin
> >
> I'm surprised and encouraged to hear they're working so well. I assumed
> poor A/D was going to keep these from performing well. Thanks for the
> follow-up.

To answer the OP's question, a phone line is required for Tivo to have
most of it's functionality. It makes a phone call once a day to
download program guide information so it knows what is on and when.
Without that, you can still use the Tivo to pause, fast fwd, or record
based on time. However it loses the features that really make it
great. Those are season passes where it will record all episodes of a
show for you even if it gets moved around in time, like the
Apprentice, the ability to auto record based on wishlists by actor,
title, etc., or simply to find something in the guide and telling it
to record, as opposed to having to do it by time and channel.

It also uses the phone to download software updates and mesgs from
Tivo. Tivo changes the way you use your TV and I would not be without
one. Without the phone updates, you will be missing probably 80% of
what it has to offer.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:29:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:b81a861b.0410152341.36ad3274@posting.google.com...
> To answer the OP's question, a phone line is required for Tivo to have
> most of it's functionality. It makes a phone call once a day to
> download program guide information so it knows what is on and when.
> Without that, you can still use the Tivo to pause, fast fwd, or record
> based on time. However it loses the features that really make it
> great. Those are season passes where it will record all episodes of a
> show for you even if it gets moved around in time, like the
> Apprentice, the ability to auto record based on wishlists by actor,
> title, etc., or simply to find something in the guide and telling it
> to record, as opposed to having to do it by time and channel.
>
> It also uses the phone to download software updates and mesgs from
> Tivo. Tivo changes the way you use your TV and I would not be without
> one. Without the phone updates, you will be missing probably 80% of
> what it has to offer.

Actually the DirecTV Tivo DVRs only use the phone line to get pay-per-view
and (anonymous) viewing data back. They now (as of a certain software
update) bring down all guide and software updates via the satellite signal.
The machine will bug you every couple weeks if you don't have the phone
hooked up. Ask the RVers how they get away without the phone line, many of
them use these dishes.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"M Schmidt" <martinschmidt57@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<symcd.6067$gy1.3443@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:b81a861b.0410152341.36ad3274@posting.google.com...
> > To answer the OP's question, a phone line is required for Tivo to have
> > most of it's functionality. It makes a phone call once a day to
> > download program guide information so it knows what is on and when.
> > Without that, you can still use the Tivo to pause, fast fwd, or record
> > based on time. However it loses the features that really make it
> > great. Those are season passes where it will record all episodes of a
> > show for you even if it gets moved around in time, like the
> > Apprentice, the ability to auto record based on wishlists by actor,
> > title, etc., or simply to find something in the guide and telling it
> > to record, as opposed to having to do it by time and channel.
> >
> > It also uses the phone to download software updates and mesgs from
> > Tivo. Tivo changes the way you use your TV and I would not be without
> > one. Without the phone updates, you will be missing probably 80% of
> > what it has to offer.
>
> Actually the DirecTV Tivo DVRs only use the phone line to get pay-per-view
> and (anonymous) viewing data back. They now (as of a certain software
> update) bring down all guide and software updates via the satellite signal.
> The machine will bug you every couple weeks if you don't have the phone
> hooked up. Ask the RVers how they get away without the phone line, many of
> them use these dishes.

How about the Tivos being used on cable? Are any of them getting
guide data via cable or are they still via phone? I know mine, which
is on Cablevision, is still making calls every night for data.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 6:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:b81a861b.0410170654.1475ce75@posting.google.com...
> How about the Tivos being used on cable? Are any of them getting
> guide data via cable or are they still via phone? I know mine, which
> is on Cablevision, is still making calls every night for data.

I don't know, but I would guess they have to use the phone line since
there's just no easy place to put that much data in the analog signal.
(which is all that reaches a standalone Tivo)
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 9:31:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"M Schmidt" <martinschmidt57@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<A%Fcd.8308$gy1.3904@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:b81a861b.0410170654.1475ce75@posting.google.com...
> > How about the Tivos being used on cable? Are any of them getting
> > guide data via cable or are they still via phone? I know mine, which
> > is on Cablevision, is still making calls every night for data.
>
> I don't know, but I would guess they have to use the phone line since
> there's just no easy place to put that much data in the analog signal.
> (which is all that reaches a standalone Tivo)

Here's another question on guide data via satelite. One problem with
Tivo has been if there is a last minute schedule shift, ie, a football
game runs over, etc, the recorder may miss part of a subsequent
program. With phone updates, which are done one at a time, it would
be impractical to issue a real time update to fix this problem. With
sat, since they are all done in parallel, it would seem possible to
issue a quick update to fix this. Have you noticed any difference
with sat or does it still have this problem?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 6:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Here's another question on guide data via satelite. One problem with
> Tivo has been if there is a last minute schedule shift, ie, a football
> game runs over, etc, the recorder may miss part of a subsequent
> program. With phone updates, which are done one at a time, it would
> be impractical to issue a real time update to fix this problem. With
> sat, since they are all done in parallel, it would seem possible to
> issue a quick update to fix this. Have you noticed any difference
> with sat or does it still have this problem?

Since I've never owned a standalone, and hadn't had the DirecTV version for
more than about a month before they upgraded to satellite download, I
wouldn't know if there was a difference.
However, I can tell you that I do notice them screw up the guide now and
then, especially on spur-of-moment changes.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:01:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I understand that a phone jack is required for certain amenities. But I
did away with landline phones 2 years ago. Is an Active phone line
(landline phone service) a prerequisite for an effective tivo and
directv ppv? I don't want verizon to put another boot in my arse.


--
espnjason
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by espnjason
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 9:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"espnjason" <espnjason.1exp2w@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message
news:espnjason.1exp2w@satelliteguys.us...
>
> I understand that a phone jack is required for certain amenities. But I
> did away with landline phones 2 years ago. Is an Active phone line
> (landline phone service) a prerequisite for an effective tivo and
> directv ppv? I don't want verizon to put another boot in my arse.
>
>
> --
> espnjason
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by espnjason
>

All I know is that you can get away without it for a while, because I've
gone without (by accident) for at least a couple months. Eventually, you
start getting messages (envelopes) telling you to hook up.

I'd check with the RV'ers (if not DirecTV) on this one. There are many of
them who are on the road with these dishes and obviously not connected to a
land-line.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I just hooked up an "after market" drive and it indicated no daily call
since July of this year! No problem though.


"espnjason" <espnjason.1exp2w@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message
news:espnjason.1exp2w@satelliteguys.us...
>
> I understand that a phone jack is required for certain amenities. But I
> did away with landline phones 2 years ago. Is an Active phone line
> (landline phone service) a prerequisite for an effective tivo and
> directv ppv? I don't want verizon to put another boot in my arse.
>
>
> --
> espnjason
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by espnjason
>
!