directv dvr without phone jack

i recently inquired about getting the directv dvr, i do not have a
house line. i was told it was impossible to have service without a
phone hookup. Is this true or is there a work around?
14 answers Last reply
More about directv phone jack

    "Larry" <vicnielsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    i recently inquired about getting the directv dvr, i do not have a
    house line. i was told it was impossible to have service without a
    phone hookup. Is this true or is there a work around?

    Good question, but probably wrong group to ask. I haven't had DirecTV
    for a couple of years, but at one time the only real need for a phone
    connection was to keep track of pay-per-view purchases.

    Satellite operators really need to address this concern as more people
    are ditching their land lines.

    Bill

    If you want it for the hard-drive -- for time-shifting and chasing programs
    while they are running, then consider one of the Panasonic DVD recorders
    with hard drive. We have had a Panny E-80 DVR, with 80 gig HD, for over a
    year and absolutely love it. No guide that automatically adjusts for
    changing showtimes, as you would get with a TIVO. You have to handle that
    yourself and program it when and what to record. But you can set it to
    record the same show every week, re-recording over the old ones each time,
    if you want to, so you only have to program once.

    The E-80 is an older model. The newer ones have larger hard drives. But I
    can store 15 hours of programming at XP (10mbps -- best quality) setting,
    which is virtually indistinquishable from the original signal. Since I
    erase programs after watching them, I seldom have more than a few hours of
    programs on the HD. Can store about 34 hours at SP setting, good enough for
    most people.

    I saw them on sale at Sears the other day for $399. I have thought about
    buying a second one, at those prices.

    Won't store HDTV, of course. But you can set it to output SD and DVD
    signals to your TV at 16:9 480p.

    mack
    austin

    "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
    message news:6Oxbd.463$rY1.226@fe2.texas.rr.com...
    > If you want it for the hard-drive -- for time-shifting and chasing
    programs
    > while they are running, then consider one of the Panasonic DVD recorders
    > with hard drive. We have had a Panny E-80 DVR, with 80 gig HD, for over a
    > year and absolutely love it. No guide that automatically adjusts for
    > changing showtimes, as you would get with a TIVO. You have to handle that
    > yourself and program it when and what to record. But you can set it to
    > record the same show every week, re-recording over the old ones each time,
    > if you want to, so you only have to program once.

    The DirecTV Tivo DVRs have 2 satellite tuners, are capable of recording 2
    channels while playing a recording simultaneously, and they give you
    playback picture quality which is *exactly* like watching it live, since it
    is never converted to analog until you watch it. The Tivo software is
    superior -- recording is effortless but very flexible. They're not just a
    random-access tapeless VCR like the Panasonic. I would classify it as THE
    greatest product I have EVER owned, and I can't wait for the HD version to
    come down in price!

    "M Schmidt" <martinschmidt57@hotmail.com> wrote

    > The DirecTV Tivo DVRs have 2 satellite tuners, are capable of recording 2
    > channels while playing a recording simultaneously, and they give you
    > playback picture quality which is *exactly* like watching it live, since
    it
    > is never converted to analog until you watch it. The Tivo software is
    > superior -- recording is effortless but very flexible. They're not just a
    > random-access tapeless VCR like the Panasonic. I would classify it as THE
    > greatest product I have EVER owned, and I can't wait for the HD version to
    > come down in price!

    Well, that sounds nice. But those for whom something like the Panny E-80 is
    a practical alternative, I can testify that even with a large RPTV display,
    the 10mbps XP recording looks exactly like the original signal, or so close
    that you will have to go to some effort to tell the difference. Even the
    5mbps SP recording is good enough to fool the non-videophile.

    mack
    austin

    "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
    message news:v1Rbd.1797$sO5.978@fe1.texas.rr.com...

    > Well, that sounds nice. But those for whom something like the Panny E-80
    is
    > a practical alternative, I can testify that even with a large RPTV
    display,
    > the 10mbps XP recording looks exactly like the original signal, or so
    close
    > that you will have to go to some effort to tell the difference. Even the
    > 5mbps SP recording is good enough to fool the non-videophile.
    >
    > mack
    > austin

    I'm surprised and encouraged to hear they're working so well. I assumed
    poor A/D was going to keep these from performing well. Thanks for the