i want change

hello
i am a novice of computers, but i have found the beautiful "hives" of
regedit..great stuff and my mind racers with proberbilities..well i am a very
'lone' user with a small buget..i dont want flashy executive enhance media
and such...what i am trying to ask is
1. can i "completly redecorate my computer" with regedit
2. with all the non-essential window programs removed can i redirect all the
value gained in boosting security, and creating self written programs
3. i see, if i can remove all unwanted windows operations i can make the
computers security talk to other comonants more quickly as i see that
communication of security is a key factor in assuring unwanted items
has anyone got any ideas about this
--
maceman thanx you
5 answers Last reply

    "maceman" <maceman68@msn.com (donotspam)> wrote in message
    > hello
    > i am a novice of computers, but i have found the beautiful "hives" of
    > regedit..great stuff and my mind racers with proberbilities..well i am a
    > very
    > 'lone' user with a small buget..i dont want flashy executive enhance media
    > and such...what i am trying to ask is
    > 1. can i "completly redecorate my computer" with regedit
    > 2. with all the non-essential window programs removed can i redirect all
    > the
    > value gained in boosting security, and creating self written programs
    > 3. i see, if i can remove all unwanted windows operations i can make the
    > computers security talk to other comonants more quickly as i see that
    > communication of security is a key factor in assuring unwanted items
    > has anyone got any ideas about this

    If you are a novice at computers, leave regedit alone. You can easily make
    your machine not boot. Just follow instructions when they are given.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    maceman wrote:
    > i am a novice of computers, but i have found the beautiful "hives" of
    > regedit..great stuff and my mind racers with proberbilities..well i
    > am a very 'lone' user with a small buget..i dont want flashy
    > executive enhance media and such...what i am trying to ask is
    > 1. can i "completly redecorate my computer" with regedit
    > 2. with all the non-essential window programs removed can i redirect
    > all the value gained in boosting security, and creating self written
    > programs
    > 3. i see, if i can remove all unwanted windows operations i can make
    > the computers security talk to other comonants more quickly as i see
    > that communication of security is a key factor in assuring unwanted
    > items
    > has anyone got any ideas about this

    www.google.com

    And.... be careful out there..

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "maceman" <maceman68@msn.com (donotspam)> wrote in message

    > has anyone got any ideas about this

    Stay off the weed man

    You don't want to use regedit for this, especially being a novice. There
    are a lot of dependencies in Windows and you have no way of knowing what you
    might do that would render the system unbootable or at least unusable.

    If you mean by "redecorate" your computer you wish to change it's
    appearance, this can and should be done at system level. You can either go
    to System in Control Panel, go to the Advanced tab, click the Settings
    button under Performance and selectively turn off various elements or turn
    off all of the XP eye candy by simply select "Adjust for best performance"
    and clicking apply. That selection will give you pretty much the appearance
    of Windows 9x.

    Conversely, you to Control Panel, select Display, go to the Appearance tab
    and change various elements as you desire. Also, while I don't recommend
    them because they often cause conflicts and other problems with XP, you
    could check into third party theme packages for XP. You can probably find
    many such themes searching Google for XP Themes.

    If your second comment relates to the first in that you are talking about
    removing various Windows components using reedit, that is not advisable
    either for the same reason as above. Just use Add/Remove Programs in
    Control Panel and the Add/Remove Windows Components option.

    As to redirecting the value gained in boosting security, very few of the
    components of XP that you could remove offer any value with regard to
    security. Security is achieved by using an antivirus program and keeping it
    up to date, using a firewall and both of those can be augmented by
    connecting to the Internet using a router.

    If you are a novice, I'm really not sure what you mean by creating
    self-written programs and you don't use the registry for that anyway. A
    number of people do create their own programs but they are familiar with one
    or more of the various programming languages as well as the requirements for
    such applications to work with XP.

    As to number 3, see above. You don't achieve security in the manner which
    you describe especially when you don't know what you are doing and/or how it
    might effect the overall operation of the system. Security is best achieved
    using a combination of XP's newer security features along with the items I
    described above.

    Since you know about these groups, I give you fair warning, if you make the
    alterations you describe and get into trouble, there is nothing we would be
    able to do to help beyond recommend you format the drive on which XP is
    installed and start over, costing you any unbacked up data you have stored
    on that drive as well as all the work you've done to customize the setup.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    In news:3359D4A0-B377-42C2-BE11-801496579E65@microsoft.com,
    maceman <maceman68@msn.com (donotspam)> typed:

    > hello
    > i am a novice of computers, but i have found the beautiful
    > "hives" of
    > regedit..great stuff and my mind racers with
    > proberbilities..well i
    > am a very 'lone' user with a small buget..i dont want flashy
    > executive enhance media and such...what i am trying to ask is

    > 1. can i "completly redecorate my computer" with regedit

    Since you are a self-proclaimed novice, I think doing as you
    suggest would be looking for trouble in the extreme. Regedit can
    be a useful tool, but it's also an extremely dangerous one. You
    can easily screw up the entire operating system and make Windows
    impossible to boot.

    > 2. with all the non-essential window programs removed can i
    > redirect
    > all the value gained in boosting security, and creating self
    > written
    > programs

    Even ignoring the danger involved, you are likely to spend much
    more time in your quest to remove non-essentials than you would
    save by doing so.

    > 3. i see, if i can remove all unwanted windows operations i can
    > make
    > the computers security talk to other comonants more quickly as
    > i see
    > that communication of security is a key factor in assuring
    > unwanted
    > items
    > has anyone got any ideas about this

    I think you're looking for trouble. Leave well-enough alone.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Security Computers Windows XP