Your question

Old video cards are fine ^^

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2007 12:34:20 PM

I know, this might be the useless thread ever, but i dont care, im at work, and im at lunch break, i work a lot with old pcs here and i was wondering this:
Here everyone seems to have the greatest cards on the market and, system and etcs, but not naming anyone (and i dont really have anyone in mind now, that i can remember), sometimes seems that some people just get the latest xpto graphic card only for the pleasure of having it, because they're previous card wasn't really that bad, or actually not bad at all..(i've seen this happening a lot lately).
So, for non gamers, or gamers, but only playing old games, having even a mid range card is waste of money, for example, i regret a lot buying my actual 7800gs when my ati9500 died with multipled bugs on the screen, because now i dont really have that much time or patiente for exploring new games, and im only play UT1 and quake3, and for such games and net brownsing a geforce2 gts for example would be pretty much enough.
After all the blabla, i was about ask if any of you are still using old cards, and are pretty much satisfied with they're actual performance on what they used them for!

More about : video cards fine

March 29, 2007 12:50:04 PM

I have an ATI 9600 pro in my work PC - for what I do on this PC you can't buy a faster card tbh.
March 29, 2007 12:50:56 PM

I still run my 9800XT in my 3 and 1/2 year old gaming system. It has provided many years of great gaming. It is about to go the way of the round file (not really, passing it and the system to my dad) and I am about to step up to a brand new system with an 8800 (something, not 100% sure yet of my budget).

I have nothing but good things to say about the card. It worked fantastic!
Related resources
March 29, 2007 12:56:01 PM

I forgot to mention, here at work, the video card in this pc is a riva tnt64m model, and i dont think i could tell the difference between it and a gf8800gtx, , if i'm not using high resolutions or playing games lol.
Damn primitive, yet pretty much useful for windows, web brownsing and messanger.
March 29, 2007 12:57:25 PM

Well i feel that if you say what budget your on and what you need it for, you will get a decent amount of fair suggestions and some that wants you to spend little more for even better cards.
It doesn't matter if you play DX8 games you will still get advice to get really good cards for DX9 games, since they can handle old AND newer games (little unsure of this since i cant get Close Combat 3 to work anymore :cry:  ).
Im at work too and all i can say that these Compaq Deskpro P2's i wouldn't wanna play on even if i got paid for it, hehe.
Fortunately they are are all breaking down so we can atleast get some new cheap Dell's.
March 29, 2007 1:10:16 PM

I use a radeon 7500 PCI at work.
But, then again I don't even need this much.
At home I have an x1950xtx.
The point is I don't think it's any surprise or secret to buy only what you need, computers for most users, beyond even the entry level stuff at a big-box store is more of a luxury and should be treated as such.
Hell if you're just sharing a few photos, printing, browsing and emailing you don't need much more than a PII and Linux if you're willing to wait a good bit longer to do even some of the simpler things. My mom has a Celeron 2g with 512mb of ram on 56k dialup, and to tell you the truth, beyond the dialup (even the cheapest, slowest dsl blows it away at a comparable price) even that setup is more than she needs.
Anyone strongly considering putting money aside for something considerably better hopefully should already know what they are going to do with it, and have a good reason for it.

To me the bigger problem is people who buy giant monitors for gaming with weak cards that can't support the resolution, or vice-versa. Or don't buy enough system ram in an otherwise high-end game machine.

I treat my pc no differently than I would a console, except that I can game with it and a good amount more, but I make no mistake about the fact it is essentially for gaming, the type that seem to still be limited to pcs. I'm fine with that, I'm fine with spending the hundreds of $ on enthusiast crap too.

Why? Because I don't need it, that's why. That's the point of a luxury. I recognize I could play stuff "ok" with an older or at least cheaper card, and yes, the new (insert hardware here) I buy will devalue almost immediately, but that's ok. It's my hobby. Some people "waste" money on different things, I choose to do it this way. One thing I will definitely say though, is that unlike many of the more popular hobbies, coins, stamps, comic books, those could at least be justified by as investments. There's are very few things for a hardcore gamer that could truly be considered an "investment" in that something that will really retain much of it's value, or increase in value.
March 29, 2007 1:27:03 PM

in the current pc im using i have a geforce 2 32mb, its the sex, it totally destroys integrated and since i don't game on this machine, it is perfect.
March 29, 2007 1:52:25 PM

Quote:
in the current pc im using i have a geforce 2 32mb, its the sex, it totally destroys integrated and since i don't game on this machine, it is perfect.

While most of the responses have tended to go to the "My/my work/my mom's computer has an old video card because that is all they need", you hit on a very valid point: a cheap older video card is usually WAY better than integrated video. Case in point: I have a 3 year old 6600GT and a 5 year old 9600pro. They go for $10-$50 now on ebay. My "DVR", a $70 ECS MB/Sempron combo with PVR-350, has integrated video that just plain sucks rocks. I can slap either of these boards in their and it is capable of playing RTCW ET, AA, Tribes, AOE, and a boatload of good older games at 1280x1024 that integrated graphics won't handle very well.
March 29, 2007 3:51:49 PM

Ah for that i use a pentium 4 1.7 with 256 ddr pc2100 and a crap ecs board togheter with a gf4 mx 440 with 128 mb, and its pretty good for what it is, is only misses net connection ^^ HD videos runs somewhat slow sometimes, i wonder if its cpu or gpu fault.
And im going offtopic on my own topic haha.
March 29, 2007 3:59:38 PM

I 've found that the majority of folks who upgrade their card do indeed push them at high resolutions and graphical settings.

Certainly, if you're playing older games at lower resolutions a new supercard isn't needed. But it's been my experience that most people on this board are using the power a high end card affords them.

My two cents.
March 29, 2007 4:47:48 PM

the reason people buy cards like these is because they want to play the latest and greatest games they way they were meant to be played

i havent ever heard of a situation where a nongamer went out and bought a mid-high end gfx card when they needed one. Most non-gamers stick with the onboard graphics or a cheap solution like the x1300 or the 7300

although there are the people who do video editing and stuff and they really do need the latest and greatest... time is money
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 5:04:41 PM

I miss my R9600Pro, not because it would be good at current games, but it would be the perfect thing to add a big passive heatpipe to and use for a MAME arcade rig.

I understand what you're saying, and the R9500P was a fantastic Freakin' card, even the plain R9500 was OK (especially when moded then it was great).

I play mostly 10-20mins of games at a time, and usually it's old school stuff, from my classics, and mame collection. When I do have time I love to play Oblivion though, and it crushes my gaming PC. So if I get a MAME-Classics rig together I can play SMASH-TV, COMMANDO, 1943, RAMPAGE, GALAGA, PHOENIX, GORF, etc. on that without ever upgrading it, and then dedicate my day to day rig to the new games (which each on their own likely take up more space than all my classics).

Like Cleeve mentioned most people upgrade fror their current needs and use most of the power on offer. Rarely do you see someone with SLi on a VGA monitor only to play Kings Quest, or UT1 or Quake 1, but then again some people use a quad core PC for M$ Word and websurfing.
March 29, 2007 5:39:02 PM

Just a couple days ago I gave away my Radeon 64M DDR VIVO and traded it for a SATAII drive (headache as i like to call it) ... damn card could chew rocks and spit sand.

:cry: 

I would miss it more if i didn't own an x800xl that sustains a massive OC :lol: 
a c 365 U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 6:01:16 PM

About a month after I built my new system around an E6600 and X1900XT I kinda felt nostalgic and played Fallout 2.

Talk about overkill.
March 29, 2007 7:02:39 PM

Quote:
I know, this might be the useless thread ever, but i dont care, im at work, and im at lunch break, i work a lot with old pcs here and i was wondering this:
Here everyone seems to have the greatest cards on the market and, system and etcs, but not naming anyone (and i dont really have anyone in mind now, that i can remember), sometimes seems that some people just get the latest xpto graphic card only for the pleasure of having it, because they're previous card wasn't really that bad, or actually not bad at all..(i've seen this happening a lot lately).
So, for non gamers, or gamers, but only playing old games, having even a mid range card is waste of money, for example, i regret a lot buying my actual 7800gs when my ati9500 died with multipled bugs on the screen, because now i dont really have that much time or patiente for exploring new games, and im only play UT1 and quake3, and for such games and net brownsing a geforce2 gts for example would be pretty much enough.
After all the blabla, i was about ask if any of you are still using old cards, and are pretty much satisfied with they're actual performance on what they used them for!

There are a few guys that buy the latest because they are just enthusiasts and have the money for it, not only with gfx cards, but also cpus, ram, etc... Some of those bastards spend money on quad cpus, sli 8800gtx and +1ghz ram to game a few titles, dl music, surf the web and...benchmark their machine till new hardware is out. But hey, they have the money for it!

Some other guys (like me) only upgrade when the hardware isn't fast anymore to handle new games (in this case) and my wallet allows...
I can't game with 15fps, but in CPU matters, I can wait one more hour to finish a render...
March 29, 2007 7:36:49 PM

Quote:

There are a few guys that buy the latest because they are just enthusiasts and have the money for it, not only with gfx cards, but also cpus, ram, etc... Some of those bastards spend money on quad cpus, sli 8800gtx and +1ghz ram to game a few titles, dl music, surf the web and...benchmark their machine till new hardware is out. But hey, they have the money for it!

Some other guys (like me) only upgrade when the hardware isn't fast anymore to handle new games (in this case) and my wallet allows...
I can't game with 15fps, but in CPU matters, I can wait one more hour to finish a render...

Concordo com isso PMR ^^

Anyways, i wasnt nearly bashing anyone who buys the latest hardware, i only wanted to show that old hardware doesnt actually means useless, but i will bash those who buy hardware only to benchmark it all the time. Now thats nerdish and useless.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 10:04:48 PM

Quote:

Anyways, i wasnt nearly bashing anyone who buys the latest hardware, i only wanted to show that old hardware doesnt actually means useless, but i will bash those who buy hardware only to benchmark it all the time. Now thats nerdish and useless.

I wouldn't call it useless anymore that someone who always tunes their car, or always goes to the gym.

While it's not my cup of tea, to each their own.
March 29, 2007 11:40:48 PM

Quote:

Concordo com isso PMR ^^

Apercebi-me q falavas portugu√™s porque escreveste: xpto graphic card :D 
March 30, 2007 1:50:37 AM

Quote:

Same could be said about drag racing.
That's what the benchmarking enthusiasm seems to be to me.
The equivalent of computer drag racing.

That's not a negative or a positive statement btw, just an observation.
It's good, clean, if not expensive, fun.
Me, I couldn't justify the cost to myself for the sake of a nice benchmark, I do it for purely utilitarian reasons.
March 30, 2007 2:41:53 AM

I still use my old Pentium 4 Northwood based system with a 6800GT, but when it comes to newer titles like Oblivion it simply doesn't cut it.
March 30, 2007 2:53:17 AM

i started out with a p4 2.8 and an fx5200 and got into competition with ut2004, but that setup got me killed cause i couldn't get enough frames, so i upped it to a x800xt, much better, but not good enough, then to a 6600 and a x1900xtx, now i get a smooth 85 fps no matter what. good for killin!
March 30, 2007 3:02:48 AM

I use my old ATI 9800 in my linux/test machine all the time and am plenty satisfied with it.
March 30, 2007 3:27:06 AM

I use ATI 9600XT. Ever since I bought it, it has given me reliable service. It's great for older games like Warcraft 3. With the integrated video in my system it was just too hard to play. The 9600XT hiccups a lot on newer games like Fable and Heroes of Might and Magic 5. Also, Rise of Nations Rise of Legends is unplayable due to low FPS. I don't even wanna try a hard-to-run game like Oblivion. It would probably be something like 1 FPS.

Needless to say, my current system is pretty old. It's not going to win any contests for oldest system out there, but hey I have the cash for a better one. I already have a C2D/E6600/X1900256MB HTPC is already built, and my C2D/E4300/7600GT based system is on the construction bench. That second one is replacing the P4Celeron2.0G/9600XT based system I am using to write this post. The C2D system plays all the games very much better than my current system. It helps that the processor and graphics card are both 2 generations newer.
March 30, 2007 5:04:21 AM

My HP 734n with a GeForce 4 MX420 is still my primary system when I have my gaming comp with a E4300,2GB ram, 8800GTS 320MB.
This is probably only because I have all my anime/music in here, I play games on the new comp via KVM switch and have music in the background from the HP comp.
March 30, 2007 10:30:51 AM

Quote:
i started out with a p4 2.8 and an fx5200 and got into competition with ut2004, but that setup got me killed cause i couldn't get enough frames, so i upped it to a x800xt, much better, but not good enough, then to a 6600 and a x1900xtx, now i get a smooth 85 fps no matter what. good for killin!

Please say that move was because you switched from AGP to PCI-E and you wanted to save money 8O
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 11:45:18 AM

I am agreeing with Cleeve and Grape, that most people do take advantage of their new hardware. Often moving from a good card to a better card is because a game or games come out that put a hurting to the old card (Oblivion), or there is the desire to run more eye candy or high resolution.

As far as ancient harware, there's always a use for them, it just becomes limited use. I still use an old AIW 128 Pro daily for basic web surfing, email, word/excel, and watching TV. Forget running games on this thing though. Also have a couple 9800 pro's, one of which my kids use daily. But they are now using a 15" monitor and game at 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on the game.

At work, one of the machine I use has a 180MMX overdrive (upgraded from a P90), it's maxed at 128MB system ram, running Win 95B, and has an ATI Mach 64 2MB card purchased back when that was ATI's top card. It's offline, not on the network, and limited to Word/excel and Quickbooks. But it still gets used quite often for invoicing.
March 30, 2007 12:02:59 PM

Quote:
Often moving from a good card to a better card is because a game or games come out that put a hurting to the old card (Oblivion), or there is the desire to run more eye candy or high resolution.

Moving from a great card to a greater card because of one particular game or for some extra eyecandy on the screen makes no sense, to me, of course i respect all those who do have extra money for such buys. Don't get mt wrong about my statement, it's what i do think about such burn of money.
All of you who upgrade from great to even greater hardware don't get offended by this thread, by no means i'm "lowering" anyone with it.
March 30, 2007 12:15:12 PM

I'm currently running a 9700pro and a 9600pro. For the uses I put my machines to they are sufficient.

I have noticed a slowdown during some of the occasional games I play but unless I start playing some of the recent games then an upgrade won't be worth the cost.

As an aside; both cards have played half-life 2 quite happily, and I'm still working my way through single player mods and ports of that.

Q
March 30, 2007 12:45:15 PM

Quote:
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled... Is convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Kaiser Soze

Just to let you know, his name was actually "Keyser" Soze, for some reasno. I made the same mistake and never heard the end of it.
So, yes now I'm lashing out at you. :twisted:
March 30, 2007 1:15:18 PM

I think my original SLi rig is still kicking around somewhere... man, 2x Voodoo 2 with 24MB VRAM, I felt king of the world when I could play Quake2 at 1024X768 :) 
March 30, 2007 1:36:05 PM

Most people who actually spend large amounts of cash on GFX cards and various other components are infact gamers/enthusiasts. They want the best so that they can fully enjoy all the new games, etc. It doesnt make sense to you because you admitidly said that you only play old stuff, which doesnt need high end parts.

I agree however, that some only buy the latest and most expensive hardware because they want the "bragging rights", but they are only a small group of people. Most of us actually do need that extra bit of performance due to the high demands that new games impose on our pc's.

But at the end of the day, its all about how much you're willing to spend...
March 30, 2007 1:49:26 PM

Even though I recognise its ability as a benchmarking tool, I find 3DMark scores utterly pointless and just another form of bragging in most cases :roll:
March 30, 2007 2:04:19 PM

LOl.....I only have a 1700 amd processor thats a little over 5 years old.512 ram.It's the only system I have.I have been saving my loot for 2 years now and can get any piece of gear I want, BUT I don't like to spend a huge sum when the next greatest is just around the corner.I want to build the best reasonable system for the best back for the buck kinda deal.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 2:19:56 PM

Quote:
Moving from a great card to a greater card because of one particular game or for some extra eyecandy on the screen makes no sense, to me

Yup, I agree. But I can understand a 7800GTX owner who was planning on investing 300+ hours into Oblivion, to seek a better card for that game. That's more of a Good to Better case that Great to Greater IMO as the 7800GTX is in no way great at Oblivion.
March 30, 2007 2:32:34 PM

It's a tricky question really, I used to buy the latest and greatest cards, I got a voodoo 3, then a geforce 2 pro, then a geforce 4 ti4600, then a 6800, then a 7600 and my next card will be an 8800gts 320 probably. (also I won a gf2 mx200 in a raffle for a quid)
It often doesn't seem worth it to get the best card on the market especially if your cpu doesn't keep up. there wouldn't be all that much more advantage for me getting an 8800gtx over the gts because my cpu would limit them.
Although I think that parts can still be useful after their usage in the main system is over. I give my older parts to my bro when I'm finished with them, I'm about to upgrade his machine from an xp2500 and gf4600 to a 3700 and a gf6800. For 150 quid that's a phenomenal upgrade for the cost and it will play almost all games at his native res of 1280x1024.
Tho definitely for non-gaming machines, a 50 quid or so 7300 would be more than adequate. I have used most of my old cards in lower systems and when they're oboslete they make a nice collection for posterity.
March 30, 2007 2:57:51 PM

Well shoot, my file server is running a RivaTNT2 64. No problems with that. I figure it is easy on power and is more than what a file server needs so put it to good use.
March 30, 2007 3:22:48 PM

Quote:
Moving from a great card to a greater card because of one particular game or for some extra eyecandy on the screen makes no sense, to me

Yup, I agree. But I can understand a 7800GTX owner who was planning on investing 300+ hours into Oblivion, to seek a better card for that game. That's more of a Good to Better case that Great to Greater IMO as the 7800GTX is in no way great at Oblivion.

Exactly what I ended up doing, my 7800gtx wasn't exactly cutting it for Oblivion, so I ended up getting a X1900XTX. I bought the 7800gtx when it was relatively new for around 480$, but by the time I got my X1900XTX it was only 350$, so the upgrade wasn't a big hurt on my wallet. the 7800gtx is the only high end video card I have bought that early on, and I didn't regret it one bit. It gave me about a year of very good performance, and allowed me to hold out until the X1900XTX dropped in price. I don't think I would ever go SLi or Crossfire just because I don't feel the performance you gain does not justify the price, but that always happens at the high end of technology. I agree old video cards are not useless, but for gaming I would have to say they are.
March 30, 2007 6:08:33 PM

Quote:
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled... Is convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Kaiser Soze

Just to let you know, his name was actually "Keyser" Soze, for some reasno. I made the same mistake and never heard the end of it.
So, yes now I'm lashing out at you. :twisted:I actually need to fix that anyway, since he didn't originally say it, a french poet did over a hundred years ago. But thanks for the spelling correction.
March 30, 2007 6:12:46 PM

Thank you for not point out my "reason" typo :oops: 
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 10:26:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I ended up doing, my 7800gtx wasn't exactly cutting it for Oblivion, so I ended up getting a X1900XTX.

Perfect example. :D 

I was in a similar boat, except I'm cheap. :wink: I had just purchased a 7800GT and a PCI-e mobo and then bought Oblivion. I started playing it on the AGP rig with a 6800U. Then built up the PCI-e rig and the 7800GT totally failed to impress me...barely better than the 6800U. Bumped up a few details and had the same barely acceptable framerates. Big whoop. I was still stuck playing at 10x7 med-high details and having to choose between HDR and FSAA. At 10x7 I just need fsaa or I start focusing on the jaggies (it's a sickness). Anyway, I bought a X1800Xt 256MB as it was a best bang-for-buck at the time card. Bumped up the details, enabled 4X fsaa+HDR, and had better low fps compared to the 7800GT. To me, for Oblivion alone that was totally a worthy upgrade.
March 31, 2007 12:32:52 AM

I own LOTS of old video cards from scrapped computers. I have LOTS of scrapped computers as well. They are ment for a little hobby project of building a free (as in freedom and as in beer) distributed system, playing with some of its cool features.

There are P1 with 2-4mb S3virges and ATI rages, there are voodoo 3s, Matrox G100, TNT, TNT2. Even the oldest 4mb s3virge will do just fine for 1280x1024x24bit 2D desktop (might lack some direct rendering features though, im not sure). So if there is no real 3D work ment to be done, anything equal to or greater than a Riva TNT would be abundance of power,

My main AthlonXP 2400 used to run on Radeon 9100 (which could power HalfLife2 good enough for me), but recently it caused the screen to turn black so i put a GeForce2mx400, which was recovered from an older computer as well.
One super old computer that i also use sometimes is a p3 700 with another GForce2mx400. In this combination i can run warcraft3 at max settings smoothly. This is the only game i tried there, but it proofs that there is still lots of gaming to do on this old hardware.
This is cool especially considering the power consumption of such a machine (the processor peaks at 25W, gpu probably around that too, idle values considerably lower).
March 31, 2007 12:50:58 AM

Quote:
So if there is no real 3D work ment to be done, anything equal to or greater than a Riva TNT would be abundance of power.

Shocking (for some) but undoubtly true. My last resort pc is a pentium 3 550, with a voodoo5, and does ok with windows xp and web brownsing, msn and mirc. The only showdowns of lack of performance is when i select multiple files, it slows down (because of the voodoo not suporting transparencies i think, with a geforce of some sort it won't happen) and when i scrool down my msn contact list, thats because of the cpu.
March 31, 2007 1:29:06 AM

12 x Sempron (socket A) 2200+ 1.5 Ghz 512 Mb DDR 333 XFX FX5200 128 Mb 64 bit AGP 8x @ 4x

All games at 800x600 and some at 1024x768, mostly low quality and in some games some enhances.

FarCry, NFSMW, GTASA AAx1, BF Vietnam, and some other older games
March 31, 2007 4:02:32 AM

I hope I'm in the right Forum for this. I just replaced my MB with a P4M800Pro v2 Core 2 Duo (6300) and I hear that a lot AGP Graphics card do not work in this board. What I am looking for is a AGP Card, so I can upgrade from the 64MB built in Graphics they have. I'm not a gamer I just use my PC for the normal stuff, like using Movie Maker to put my DV Camcorder tapes on disk and cleaning up Digital Camera & Analog Pics to make Slideshows. I just want my PC to be up to par when Vista finally becomes viable to upgrade to. I would really like your help in this area if I'm not intruding on you.

Thank You,
I-Am-He
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2007 4:48:19 AM

What your hoping for IMO is a cheap X1600, here's an X1650.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The GF7600 series unfortunately is slightly pricier.

Although an X1300 would likely sneak in the bottom end;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Be sure you can return it, just in case you do have compatability issues and need to look for something else like the GF7600 or if need be an older more compatible card like the GF6 or X8 series.
March 31, 2007 5:05:37 AM

Hi i just wanted to express my thoughts on this , I basically bought a 8800 to get a better gaming experience.

This is my first High End and Nvidia card. As far as benchmarking goes i haven't even used 3d mark for like a couple of years. I just feel that it does not represent a true gaming experience and is more there for like if you want to know how your rig compares to others .

I have always owned ATI cards, not because i am a fan boy or anything i just always found them to be really good so i never bothered with Nvidia.

I had a x1800 gto which i still have and it decent performance in COH and Oblivion but not with all options on Uber settings. I am more of a RTS gamer but its amazing how demanding these games have become from the days of Red Alert C&c.

In my opinion if you can afford it smoother gameplay is awesome with a high end card as compared to a mid-low - end card .

My gaming experience has never been better, all my games look and feel gr8 :) 
March 31, 2007 5:16:12 AM

Thank you for your quick reply "TheGreatGrapeApe". I've been ordering part from Newegg for a few years now and they seem to be on the ball when it comes to returning thing. But to be on the safe side I think I'll give them a call. You've been a big help.

Thank You,
I-Am-He
!