Sign in with
Your question

Thumbs up for AMD!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2007 2:42:25 PM

AMD may be in a bit of a slump these days but they have done right by me.

I had to RMA my Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester recently. A screw-up with FedEx resulted in me not receiving my replacement CPU in a timely manner. Instead, I recieved an invoice from FedEx for duty payable on the delinquent shipment. I contacted AMD about the problem and was told that they would take care of it right away. The next day, I recieved an e-mail apologizing for the screw-up and was told that they were upgrading me to a 3700+ (ADA3700CFBOX) for my trouble. Now THAT's customer service!

Hats off to AMD for not making me have to ask for compensation. It was a classy move on their part.

More about : thumbs amd

March 29, 2007 2:55:00 PM

wow.... :) 
March 29, 2007 3:22:06 PM

Quote:

I had to RMA my Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester recently. A screw-up with FedEx resulted in me not receiving my replacement CPU in a timely manner. Instead, I recieved an invoice from FedEx for duty payable on the delinquent shipment. I contacted AMD about the problem and was told that they would take care of it right away. The next day, I recieved an e-mail apologizing for the screw-up and was told that they were upgrading me to a 3700+ (ADA3700CFBOX) for my trouble. Now THAT's customer service!

Hats off to AMD for not making me have to ask for compensation. It was a classy move on their part.
BONUS!! Makes us all want screw-ups, more often. :D 
Related resources
March 29, 2007 3:24:56 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool story,.. the only problem is that today, you need at least something like a X2.
March 29, 2007 3:47:09 PM

Way to rain on his parade :) 
March 29, 2007 3:58:10 PM

lol m25, such a buzz kill for him! lmao

Best,

3Ball
March 29, 2007 4:01:32 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool story,.. the only problem is that today, you need at least something like a X2.

Ha. Regardless, a 2.2Ghz K8 single core can handle just about anything thrown at it with respectable performance. It's one of the best single cores. 1MB L2...overclock it to 2.6 and get yourself an FX-55.
March 29, 2007 4:07:38 PM

Quote:

Nice. :lol: 
March 29, 2007 4:47:25 PM

Quote:

hahaha :lol:  :lol: 

yeah if only every company did that
March 29, 2007 5:32:43 PM

Quote:

It gets better!

I expected to wait a few days for the new CPU to arrive. I just checked my mail an hour ago and there it was! They actually overnighted it to me!!

I am really, really impressed. Way to go, AMD! :D 
March 29, 2007 6:09:46 PM

Quote:

Well, it's not like that 3000+ is still a current SKU anyways... I think the 3700+ was a win-win situation... AMD corrects a wrong, gives a customer a free upgrade and comes out smelling like roses.
March 29, 2007 6:11:55 PM

Thats awsome man, my heart is still with AMD.
March 29, 2007 6:15:41 PM

Quote:

Ha. Regardless, a 2.2Ghz K8 single core can handle just about anything thrown at it with respectable performance. It's one of the best single cores. 1MB L2...overclock it to 2.6 and get yourself an FX-55.

Or you can overclock it to 3.1Ghz, and you've got yourself a super powerhause, at least for a single core. I've done it before.
March 29, 2007 6:16:06 PM

Quote:

Bahhhhh!
March 29, 2007 6:23:46 PM

Appreciable
March 29, 2007 6:48:05 PM

AMD,DFI,XFX and PC Power and Cooling have very good warrenty service.

As they are sending you a BOXED unit you now have a new 3 year warrenty.
Should it "die" again they may send you an Optron next time (perhaps a dual core) as they no longer are makeing 939 pin chips.
March 29, 2007 8:16:19 PM

Quote:
Or you can overclock it to 3.1Ghz, and you've got yourself a super powerhause, at least for a single core. I've done it before.

I have heard that the E6 revision 3700's don't OC as well as the older E4 parts, probably due to the extra cache. I'll see what I can do with it. I'll be happy with 2.6 - 2.8GHz.

The 3700 is going in my wife's computer. When the 3000 died, I replaced it with a Pentium M 755 using the CT-479 adapter kit from ASUS. Overclocked to 2.4GHz, the P-M is pretty quick but it will be no match for the 3700, especially with its superior memory controller. That oughta let her check her e-mail in a hurry!
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2007 9:02:07 PM

Another reason I'm considering building an AMD system. That was a sweet deal!
a c 75 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 29, 2007 9:09:53 PM

Did I miss something? Why did you contact AMD if Fedx screwed up?

Try explaining it one more time, but type slower for those of us who can't read so fast...
March 29, 2007 9:45:53 PM

Quote:
I have heard that the E6 revision 3700's don't OC as well as the older E4 parts, probably due to the extra cache. I'll see what I can do with it. I'll be happy with 2.6 - 2.8GHz.

You're wrong on this; theE6 (especially the Venice cores) is the best overclocker of all. And the E6 also has a better IMC than the E4; my X2 4200+ which is an E4 only manages about 4200 MB/s while the previous 3000+ (E6) did 4600.
!