What Good Motherboards are fully Vista x64 Compatible?

pEEpiNgtoM

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Just wanted to know which ones were before i ordered one. Ive decided to build a 64 bit vista machine and want double check on things before i order. So any suggestions on good boards that are fully x64 supported on Vista.

I would like a very stable board with a good chipset preferably with good reviews and preferably SLI ready

I tend to favor Asus and Gigabyte but as long as its a good brand and stable then that is not an issue

Thanks in advance for any help

By the way this will be an Intel build, not AMD

methimpikehoses

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Just wanted to know which ones were before i ordered one. Ive decided to build a 64 bit vista machine and want double check on things before i order. So any suggestions on good boards that are fully x64 supported on Vista.

I would like a very stable board with a good chipset preferably with good reviews and preferably SLI ready

I tend to favor Asus and Gigabyte but as long as its a good brand and stable then that is not an issue

Thanks in advance for any help

By the way this will be an Intel build, not AMD

I think that any modern mobo is x64 compatible. It's the DRIVERS for the mobo's components that you need to look for, and most are readily available on the manufacturer's websites.

My ASUS P5B-E needed some driver updates to be fully functional... the ethernet driver in particular. It is an Attansic driver, and I assume other ASUS's have the same setup.

TonyLA

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Sorry that is just not true. Whatever you do, do not buy the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Most of the drivers work, but the most important one does not. The Mobo uses the Silicon Image Sil 3132 Sata Controller. This controller is used on many Sata add-in boards, these boards have their own Silicon Image BIOS which needs to be updated before you can use the new drivers from the Silicon Image website. This leaves it up to ASUS to provide the support for the new drivers, which they have not updated in almost 3 years (and probably don't intend to).

As a result of this I get the occasional Blue Screen of Death, not what I would consider a stable platform. What's more, Microsoft trys to install the new driver with Windows Update, I accidently did that and that was even more of a disaster. Anyway, I too am looking for a stable 64bit Mobo for Vista and/or Windows 7. Good luck !

TRENDING THREADS