First build, does anything need changed?

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Personally I would ditch the sound card as you already have 8.1 sound on that board and use the extra money to get a 22" Wide screen LCD.

You could also save a few bucks if you went for the E4300 and did some moderate over clocking...

Both of those are really personal choices though and that looks like a good system.

EDIT:
Don't know if you are planning on using New Egg to get it all, but I would get the LCD locally. New Egg wont replace a LCD for dead pixels until there is 8. I would rather pay extra locally and either test it before buying or be able to exchange it so I can have a perfect screen...

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I you are getting the 8800GTS 320MB card then you may want to keep the SLI option open for future upgrades. I suggest you get the P5N32-E SLI Plus mobo. It is just a few dollars more, is a great overclocker and has enough bells and whistles to keep you happy. This way if you find that DX10 is dragging your vid card down you can pop another in there and get back ahead of the curve.

Lot's of flames here about SLI but it is a great option. You can pick up a second card just before they go away at a very reduced price and have a graphics system, at a decent price for 2-3 years before doing a total upgrade. It worked for me. 6800GT and when it stare=ted getting bogged down I bought a used one cheap and ramn SLI. Worked great for 2.5 years. Skipped the whole 7 series and just pickd up a used 8800GTS for $360, sold one of the 6800GTs for $90 and put the second in my wife's rig. In a year I'll probably get another used 8800GTS and plug it in and then won't upgrade graphics again for 2 years

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Looks pretty good. The RAM seems kinda expensive for what you get, there's probably cheaper DDR2-800 with the same timings. Not a big deal though.

I you are getting the 8800GTS 320MB card then you may want to keep the SLI option open for future upgrades.

The SLi option would be pretty poor with a 8800GTS 320. If you want to have SLi as a future option you should get the 640mb version. Two 320s in SLi would have more processing power than a GTX with less than half the memory to work with, so performance would be limited by the relatively meager memory.

phyodabomb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I believe you can get a Corsair DDR2 800 for about $130 or something. I forgot where I saw it recently.

Unless you're a major soundfreak with uber hifi hear-every-pin-drop-in-the-background type of speakers, I don't know if the sound card is that necessary (or at least that an expensive a sound card anyway)

I'm not sure of the LCD you picked and how good it is. I recently got a 19in widescreen Samsung (4ms) from Newegg for $160 after MIR. So... that may be a better choice.

The case is also a personal choice thing I guess but I'm not sure if I'll be willingly throwing down major bucks on a case but keep in mind I'M A BUDGET BUILDER <wink> <wink>

Apart from that, all looks great and you just need to type in your CC number.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Looks pretty good. The RAM seems kinda expensive for what you get, there's probably cheaper DDR2-800 with the same timings. Not a big deal though.

I you are getting the 8800GTS 320MB card then you may want to keep the SLI option open for future upgrades.

The SLi option would be pretty poor with a 8800GTS 320. If you want to have SLi as a future option you should get the 640mb version. Two 320s in SLi would have more processing power than a GTX with less than half the memory to work with, so performance would be limited by the relatively meager memory.

I know but it is better than nothing.

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If you want a sound card to save the little bit of CPU on-board sound uses, I'd suggest going with the SB X-Fi XtremeGamer (about $100 cheaper than the Fatal1ty and about all you lose is the front interface panel).

I would go with Vista or, if you have the money and are worried about compatability, dual boot XP and Vista.

TRENDING THREADS