Can I reformat with an OEM XP Home?

masterofunlocking

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
My computer is in real need of a reformat and I have an OEM version of Windows XP Home. Will I be able to reformat and reinstall windows using it? I've heard that you can only do that with retail.

masterofunlocking

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Going off of the advice of some other friends that said it would work fine, I reformatted. Only now it didn't work so fine and it says I cannot activate using my product key again and that I need a new product key. How do I go about getting a new one? Do I have to go pay another 100 dollars for a new disc or can I get a key for cheaper?

dwclou

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Did you call them or try to activate online? Call them at 1-888-571-2048 if you are in the US. You will have to punch the insallation ID into a machine recording, then if you are lucky you will be forwarded to an Indian woman named Usha who won't be afraid to hang up on you if you give her any crap. She will ask you a bunch of stupid questions, starting with "Is this the first time you are activating this product?" followed by "On how many machines is this copy of Windows currently installed on?" Answer "one" to the last question if you want to get anywhere. Then a few painful minutes later she should give you your activation code.

Bottom line though, you should be able to activate it, most times it just doesn't work over the internet.