Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XP Pro upgrade work on XP Media Center Edition?

Last response: in Windows XP
March 16, 2006 2:45:02 PM

xp media center is basicly xp pro with added media programs installed. No need to upgrade.
April 7, 2006 8:39:35 PM

If XP Media Center is the same as XP Pro, why can't I enable Remote Desktop (Terminal Services) in Media Center like I can in XP Pro... In XP Pro, under the properties of 'My Computer', there is a 'Remote' tab... This tab doesn't exist in Media Center!
April 8, 2006 1:55:37 AM

Remote desktop is more for a "corporation setting" where media center is not. Not everything in pro will be in media center, the core software is the same.
April 8, 2006 4:09:04 AM

Then I suppose your post earlier saying '... they are the same... no need to upgrage...' wasn't exactly correct if one needs remote desktop functionality...
April 23, 2006 2:06:14 AM

XP Media Center has no real ability to be a "Networked" OS. It cannot join a domain, nor properly scan NT style workgroups.

If you want an OS that does something other than drive your DVR, go with XP-Pro.
October 12, 2006 6:44:42 PM

Most people have two or more machines in their homes. The ability to operate on a domain is the most fundemental requirement of using any Windows system....in regards to the above response. XP Pro SP2 or later is the ONLY release of XP. Everything else is just a feature blocked version of the original little better then shareware.

You didn't really answer his question at all. :( 

The answer is:

Officially no, even though the Micorosft installer will tell you that you can upgrade. Microsoft says you can't and I have not found a magic key that will allow me to do it. It is entirely possible that the Media Center software will not run with an "un-bastardized" version of XP. Personally I can't see why anyone would even get media edition at all, it turns a business machine into a TIVO box with only limited ability to burn media. I recommend using the settings migration wizard and then restoring to a clean install of XP Pro. You might even find that media center transfers that way somehow.
October 18, 2006 2:51:48 AM

xp media center 2005 with rollup 2 does have remote desktop connection available, i have it on mine, i remote to it every day, it's supported, looking at my computer properties right now as i type this

MCE has everything Pro has and more, if yours doesn't show it, try a different user profile with administrative rights to see if it shows up

check your local policies using gpedit.msc to make sure it hasn't been hidden

it may not show up if you upgraded from xp home and i can't remember if mce 2004 has the feature

and mce can be joined to a domain as well
October 18, 2006 1:03:14 PM

Quote:
xp media center 2005 with rollup 2 does have remote desktop connection available, i have it on mine, i remote to it every day, it's supported, looking at my computer properties right now as i type this

Remote desktop is available, but I don't believe the icon is there in some OEM versions for some reason. I have a gateway in which it was absent.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluati...

Quote:
MCE has everything Pro has and more, if yours doesn't show it, try a different user profile with administrative rights to see if it shows up

Not true, why does everyone say that? We've already established that Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Furthermore, it is non-upgradable and non-downgradable for that matter in order to make the media center non-transferable. Something to consider before installing it no matter how good it is, because when something better does come out you'll be forced to wipe and reinstall.

I also don't like that the Media center software has the capabilities to sell you products from Microsoft affiliates, or that even something as seemingly innocent as my viewing habits can snooped and sold to these same affiliates.

To quote Wierd Al...."I watched Will and Grace One time, one day, and now my TIVO thinks I'm gay."

I just think if you only have one computer, why would you turn it into a glorified TIVO box when it could be used for so much more. If you have more then one machine, why would you sacrifice the ability to securely network them.

I copied the system32 directory, inf, help, etc. and then ran the FAST wizard. Installed XP Pro and restored to my new machine. You have to use the FAST msi from the backup, but it works. Now I can do everything I need to do and I let my DVR run my TV.
October 22, 2006 11:46:20 PM

XP Media Edition 2005 is XP Pro with the addition of some extra media stuff, as has been said.

I don't do the remoting stuff myself, but I do see the Remote tab in the sytem properties dialog box on my box. It's just that "out of the box" the OEM version needs a little push to wake up.

I have an eMachines (Gateway) copy and it installs with Simple Sharing enabled. This has the effect of not showing the Security tab on a file or folder properties sheet, and I suspect it also hides the Remote tab on the system properties dialog.

Here's how to turn off Simple Sharing and reveal all of Windows XP Pro.

Open Control Panel, start the Folder applet, which opens the Folder Option dialog. Select the View tab and in the Advanced settings section, scroll down to the bottom of the list and uncheck the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" option.

Definately not recomended!! :D 

That should be all there is to it. :roll:
October 23, 2006 12:37:10 AM

MCE DOES allow you to join a domain, I know this because the option was available when setting up new Acer computers that had MCE pre-installed. However, IIRC, this must be done on the initial setup or it won't give you the option later. There is a tweak available to allow it after it's set up... but I can't remember where to get it.
October 23, 2006 2:08:08 AM

Quote:
MCE DOES allow you to join a domain, I know this because the option was available when setting up new Acer computers that had MCE pre-installed. However, IIRC, this must be done on the initial setup or it won't give you the option later. There is a tweak available to allow it after it's set up... but I can't remember where to get it.

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=326057
April 13, 2007 2:37:12 PM

So... we established that XPMedia Center and Pro are essentially the same. Some people have RDC and some don't. I have a media center computer and I have RDC, I followed instructions on how to have it set up and even opened the ports on my router. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work.

Help???
April 15, 2007 12:24:29 AM

Over the web... I am sorry but I could not open your links

Thank you,

Julio
April 15, 2007 12:27:50 AM

ok well you need to register to view them ( its free) to be sure you have done everything there is.

so where are you running into a problem and what is the problem?
April 19, 2007 1:04:03 AM

Adding XP MCE to domain
- use cmdcons to copy system hive ,reboot, change one key, reboot, copy back system hive, reboot.... worked for me to enable Domain in System Properties-/Computer name/ tab..

http://extended64.com/blogs/rafael/articles/404.aspx

cheers
June 1, 2007 3:40:25 AM

Hello... new member here...

Just to add to the discussion. I have a home recording studio and I am trying to get clean sound from my pc synth modules to a recording console without USB latency issues. I invested in an M-Audio Firewire 410 unit only to find that it would not install under the MCE. The corporation does not support MCE and will not take support calls. After exhaustive investigation I have found that no firewire soundcards available from my local Guitar Center dealership support MCE. All support XP Pro. Some users of MCE have claim to have gotten the Firebox product to work but no one has provided details of their installation procedure. So I am switching over to XP Pro on that PC. I wish it was not so, but I have spent many hours trying different installation approaches to no avail.

K
November 23, 2008 1:30:13 PM

All,

I have just encountered the same issue kkatzer mentions with a TASCAM US 144 audio/midi interface. I have an HP computer with Windows MC 2005 on it. The problem is how do you "downgrade" to Windows XP Pro from Windows MC and retain all your current application settings, data files etc? Also, does Microsoft sell XP upgrade?

GHD
August 26, 2009 4:32:53 PM

All,

I have Cubase LE4 and a Presonus Firestudio setup, and for the last year I have not been able to get these to work properly. Cubase claims that media center is not supported, and some people find a kludge to make it work, but most are stuck with intermittent issues.

I am running a Dell XPS M2010 system with Microsoft XP Media Center Edition, using fire wire.

I would not recommend that anyone buy, or use Media Center.
October 6, 2009 2:22:24 PM

It's pretty annoying. I do a lot of music stuff and I originally bought media edition thinking,..hey, media, must be good for music.

That's the problem.
I'm not big on midi but media edition for some reason will not read midi interface things.
Hopefully when 7 comes out I will be able to successfully install it.
there's a significant problem with dell that has media direct button
you have to install media center before you install the OS which in itself is almost like a separate OS
word of advice
never try to clone a HDD if you have media direct
It can be fixed but it's not going to work and it will cause some problems like a truncated HDD

So, in my view
they are not the same
I have some basic XP on my old desktop which reads midi fine
I installed 7 on there a few months ago and it still reads fine

it's not the hardware
my friend let me borrow some Axiom midi/usb keyboard that said it will not work with XP ME
but what it really meant to say was XP ME will not work with that
I bought some 8 dollar midi/usb thing and it won't work
it says it's being read but when you open up software it will not recognize it

midi and media center
not cool together at all

!