Sign in with
Your question

9th April... Besides AMD price cuts

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2007 5:21:55 PM

AMD may announce that it will transit all desktop processors to 65nm.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?ar...

Quote:
"On April 9, AMD will introduce a bunch of new SKUs and is dropping prices tons," said one source who attended AMD's Executive Forum for partners in late February and Intel's Solutions Summit last week. "It will be as low as $70 for [AMD] dual core in the U.S."
March 29, 2007 5:25:55 PM

Quote:

"On April 9, AMD will introduce a bunch of new SKUs and is dropping prices tons," said one source who attended AMD's Executive Forum for partners in late February and Intel's Solutions Summit last week. "It will be as low as $70 for [AMD] dual core in the U.S."

Sweeeet. My guess, though, is that the $70 price will be that of the X2 3800/3600 after the new chips are introduced.
March 29, 2007 5:28:47 PM

Quote:

Sweeeet. My guess, though, is that the $70 price will be that of the X2 3800/3600 after the new chips are introduced.

I think so... :wink:
Transiting to 65nm fabrication process can give time some more headroom for a price cut. :wink:

I just read some preliminary benchmarks of P-E 21x0. To my surprise, P-E 21x0 are very competitive with x2 3600+ / 3800+.
Related resources
March 29, 2007 7:38:59 PM

Perhaps the most interesting quote from the article:

Quote:
Several system builders maintain that Intel holds a performance lead over AMD in Core 2 Duo and remains the only vendor on the market with quad-core processors. Still, other partners said the two chip makers are competing head to head for the hearts and minds of big OEMs and channel partners, and the gap is narrowing.

"AMD has become very competitive with Intel over the last three years, and major hardware vendors are providing more options about which processor to buy, which is giving AMD more market share," said Tom Raisbeck , president of technical services at Nortec Communications. "It's a see-saw battle right now, with AMD slightly on top. The bottom line is that AMD will be very competitive this year."

With things like this, I can't imagine why AMD is being hammered on teh Street.
March 29, 2007 7:57:56 PM

Quote:
I think so... Wink
Transiting to 65nm fabrication process can give time some more headroom for a price cut. Wink

I just read some preliminary benchmarks of P-E 21x0. To my surprise, P-E 21x0 are very competitive with x2 3600+ / 3800+.

It was reported that AMD is now 100% 65nm at Fab 36 so they may discontinue Windsor in favor of Brisbane. I did think that they would reserve Fab30 for Opteron and Turion (which are less together than desktop right now) while moving part of it to 45nm. If they are talking next year for 45nm they have to get the equipment in by Sept. though TSMC could possibly do it. AMD did say they may not go to Immersion for the first 45nm chips.

They managed to get Chartered up and running on 65nm pretty fast. Chartered reports they are about to start production. This fits in with my opinion that if they get 65nm ramped quickly the cost savings will be amazing, especially with 4200+ being the sweet spot. This also may be why they didn't do the new Turion yet as X2 still has some legs. Turion is much smaller and with 300mm doubling the output, they can afford to aggressively price.

Of course though they have to be careful not to over produce though which could cause problems with the K8-K10 transition. But I guess it takes less money to run 1/3 of the Fab and they already have buyers for their 90nm equipment (Russia and China, companies not the government).

I can say that I just don't see all of this mismanagement and mistakes people keep harping on.
March 29, 2007 8:18:10 PM

Quote:

No need to wait until April 9th. Newegg already has the OEM X2 3600+ for $69 w/free shipping.
March 29, 2007 8:51:01 PM

Quote:

Razor thin margins?
March 29, 2007 10:13:12 PM

Quote:

Razor thin margins?

But they are gaining share which somewhat offsets that. I guess the numbers for share will come out next month for Q1.

If they hadn't lowered prices then people would say they are overcharging for a slower processor. They just can't win. So much for the free market.
March 30, 2007 7:27:53 AM

Quote:

Razor thin margins?

But they are gaining share which somewhat offsets that. I guess the numbers for share will come out next month for Q1.

If they hadn't lowered prices then people would say they are overcharging for a slower processor. They just can't win. So much for the free market.

Misleading analysts and falling short of revenue projections may be a 'small' factor also? Just a guess. :wink:
March 30, 2007 8:24:30 AM

Quote:

Razor thin margins?

AMD could gain marketshare out their wazoo, but if they do not make profits all those gains will just be hot air. The stockholders will take a dump on them if they do not get any returns. As for a free market, the top brass and RnD at AMD were free to sit on their thumbs as Intel took the performance crown and the market away from them. Selling old chips at cutthroat prices in a business that makes it or breaks it on cutting edge technology will get them nowhere. Too many delays for AMD has really hurt them and the lightning fast attack from Intel has caught AMD with their pants down.
March 30, 2007 1:28:13 PM

Quote:

Razor thin margins?

AMD could gain marketshare out their wazoo, but if they do not make profits all those gains will just be hot air. The stockholders will take a dump on them if they do not get any returns. As for a free market, the top brass and RnD at AMD were free to sit on their thumbs as Intel took the performance crown and the market away from them. Selling old chips at cutthroat prices in a business that makes it or breaks it on cutting edge technology will get them nowhere. Too many delays for AMD has really hurt them and the lightning fast attack from Intel has caught AMD with their pants down.

All of you STILL act like you would have had the resources to release a new arch as soon as Core 2 was announced. Intel sold NetBurst for years without Doom and Gloom surrounding their every move.

They are still even selling more of the old than the new.

Your wording just smacks of bias. I can't wait until they drop Kuma benches. If it is really 80% faster than X2, words will be eaten. And since Alpha and Itanium engrs are working on it, I'd get some type of seasoning.
March 30, 2007 1:32:22 PM

Quote:
Misleading analysts and falling short of revenue projections may be a 'small' factor also? Just a guess.

So you mean they lied? I generally follow AMD news and.....never mind.
!