power switch not working?

teklas41

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with this computer.Ive tested the psu and its working very good ,but when I press the start button nothing happens.Is there any way to bypass the start switch to start a computer?Is there a good site that can give information on where to put connectors on a control panel?Thanks. :?:

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
You can jump the computer by using a screwdriver.

When you press the power button all you're really doing is closing the circuit, or making a connection for electricity to flow all the way through telling the pc to turn on.

If you look inside (typically on the bottom right of an atx MB) you will see where all the wires for the front lights (power, HD) and reset/power buttons connect. Simply unhook the power connector and press the screwdriver against it.
If it is in fact a bad power button the pc will boot right up just fine.

teklas41

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Yes ,Ive tried switching them around but still nothing.Does the label go towards the inside or the outside?PwrSW,HDDLed,ResetSW etc...?

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
What i normally do is just run the screwdriver on every side of all the pins if I can't tell what is what, but dont go touching the board. ha
As far as I remember the switch is not polarity sensitive.