Sign in with
Your question

AMD K8L Overclocking???

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2007 6:09:19 PM

Are anybody know about AMD next generation cpu (K8L) overclocking ability???

:?:

8)

More about : amd k8l overclocking

March 29, 2007 6:15:10 PM

In a word..... no :p 
March 29, 2007 6:54:37 PM

haha, we can't really know, since none are out.. With few or no benchies at all... Haha Nice Avatar Julian.. Hope to get one of those after a dx10 card..
Related resources
March 29, 2007 10:34:00 PM

Quote:

8)

:roll: ....man, I'd like to see them just CLOCKING first.
March 30, 2007 2:35:26 AM

You should add K10 to your list of things you're excited about... you are excited RIGHT??? :p 
March 30, 2007 3:01:44 AM

Are anybody know about Intel 32-core CPU overclocking ability?
March 30, 2007 3:47:01 AM

i wish i knew since most of us have yet to see how the processor performs

i guess if you want to get technical, amd processors have overclocked pretty well on a peformance per clock basis. A 200mhz increase in clockspeed on a urrent AMD processor will offer you a better performance boost than 200mhz on say a pentium D, im not so sure about core2duo but knowing intel this still might be the case. Unfortunately AMD processors in a general sense have not been as overclockable as intel processors

so..... this might give us an idea of how well AMD's new processors will overclock but isnt really a good indicator as its just speculation
March 30, 2007 3:57:38 AM

Quote:
i wish i knew since most of us have yet to see how the processor performs

i guess if you want to get technical, amd processors have overclocked pretty well on a peformance per clock basis. A 200mhz increase in clockspeed on a urrent AMD processor will offer you a better performance boost than 200mhz on say a pentium D, im not so sure about core2duo but knowing intel this still might be the case. Unfortunately AMD processors in a general sense have not been as overclockable as intel processors

so..... this might give us an idea of how well AMD's new processors will overclock but isnt really a good indicator as its just speculation

Core 2 Duo gains more from the same increase in clock speed then a K8 processor will.
March 30, 2007 7:12:42 AM

Quote:

8)

disclaimer: i'm not trying to be an Intelliot here :p  ...just my mere speculation.

i don't think K10 will be overclockable at all 8O ... because from what we're seeing on AMD's 65nm process, its processor cannot really overclock without a substantial increase in voltage, and inevitably, heat dissipation, to bump a 2.4 chip to 2.6~2.8. also, as it has became evident, that AMD's top processors are all built on 90nm, instead of the newer 65nm process. this may hint that AMD may not be able to crank up the processors speed @ 65nm, or AMD's 65nm process is not matured yet.

if its the former, then it may be the explanation to why Barcelona's top bin are only clocked at 2.5Ghz. However, if its the latter, it may explains why Barcelona is slated for launch in May~June, and we haven't even seen a single benchmark yet.

Also, as Jack and other respectable forum posters had pointed out, AMD's SiO2 process, while may decrease power consumption by a little, cannot be easily scaled in terms of clock speed. With high-k process just around the corner, and 45nm ES out, Intel can scale them as much as 3.4~3.7. AMD cannot do that, unless they adopt high-k technology from IBM, since shrinking the manufacturing process no longer means anything.

i guess my point is, what we see is what we'll probably ever get. you may be able to bump the processor speed up by 200~400Mhz, but that'll probably be all before you need to throw away the conventional air cooler and use more sophisticated liquid/phase/....? etc cooling.

however, its just my opinion, which can be totally wrong. :oops: 
March 30, 2007 11:22:19 AM

Quote:

8)

:roll: ....man, I'd like to see them just CLOCKING first.ROTFLMAO & DITTO all at once.
March 30, 2007 11:40:36 AM

Quote:
You mean overclocking from 1.9 to 2.8 with only a minor voltage increase (from 1.35v to 1.4v) a substantial amount of voltage for overclock? :?

More voltage will possibly be needed for K10 to achieve similar clocks when compared to 90nm K8 chips.

I'm not to sure about this, since Barcelona is designed specifically for server usage which means it should be lighter on the voltage than DT. I'm not sure if that will translate into a 170 Opty or 3060 Xeon situation, but I'll wait and see. Interestingly enough, Ed from Overclockers.com hints that Penryn will maintain Intel's lead in clock speeds.
March 30, 2007 12:28:14 PM

it is still in lab, just wait for months, guy :lol: 
March 30, 2007 12:40:48 PM

an educated guess would say you would probably get about 500mhz off the first 0.05v increase on the low end processors, after that your prolly looking at 0.1v per 50mhz and about 2oC per 50mhz from start point, lol
March 30, 2007 1:00:24 PM

The only thing I know is that it better be special to hold back the Intel-torrent, and people sitting on their money until Penryn comes out :wink:
March 30, 2007 4:36:18 PM

Quote:
You mean overclocking from 1.9 to 2.8 with only a minor voltage increase (from 1.35v to 1.4v) a substantial amount of voltage for overclock? :?

well.. i would say its a lot for a processor. however, i do admire 3600+'s overclockablility :p 

i thought the maximum safe voltage for a processor is 1.5? i'm not sure about it. but if its true, a voltage increase from 1.35 to 1.4 maybe a little dramatic for the processor.

on the other hand, while 3600+ is only clocked at 1.8Ghz, and has a lot of headroom to move around, the higher clocked X2s are a lot less overclockable. as i said earlier, all of AMD's top bin are still being manufactured at 90nm.

adding to that, the die shot of barcelona reveals that its circuit is very complex. it is really not possible to clock a very complex circuit high.

as a result, if you consider all the factors: complex circuits, less than perfect 65nm manufacturing process, and past experience, it is very likely that Barcelona may not be overclockable.

however, as i said again, its just my speculation.

P.S. i clocked my E6300 @ 2.8, while only supplying it 1.25V (stock is1.3V).
March 30, 2007 4:40:55 PM

Quote:

More voltage will possibly be needed for K10 to achieve similar clocks when compared to 90nm K8 chips.

I'm not to sure about this, since Barcelona is designed specifically for server usage which means it should be lighter on the voltage than DT. I'm not sure if that will translate into a 170 Opty or 3060 Xeon situation, but I'll wait and see. Interestingly enough, Ed from Overclockers.com hints that Penryn will maintain Intel's lead in clock speeds.

No surprise there, really. No one expects AMD's 65nm process to exceed Intel's 45nm process in terms of clockspeed. Well...even Intel's 65nm process as things are looking now....
March 30, 2007 4:44:36 PM

Quote:

yeh, i heard that penryn will be clocked as high as 3.8Ghz. can't find the links now, but will provide them if someone ask to.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/intel_spill...
they only hinted that penryn will be clocked over 3Ghz, with 1600FSB.
March 30, 2007 5:11:10 PM

Quote:
In a word..... no :p 

Brevity can be a beautiful thing.
March 30, 2007 5:19:55 PM

They will probably not OC any better than todays Windsor cause with K8L AMD really needs to get that performance crown and doing so will require AMD to fully utilize freq. headroom of their cores.
!