Sign in with
Your question

Big case and quiet, powerful PSU

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2007 7:11:38 PM

Hi,

I’m going to be building a computer with a Geforce 8800 GTS video card, so I’m looking for a case that is big enough and has good airflow + a PSU that is powerful enough and also relatively quiet.

Could you give me some recommendations, please?

Here’s what I’ve thinking of buying:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, probably E6600
Mainboard: MSI P965 Platinum
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1 GB / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-4200CL4 / 533.
Video card: ASUS (Geforce) EN8800GTS/HTDP
Hard drive: Samsung SpinPoint P120 SP2504C
DVD: Maybe NEC AD 7173
Case & PSU: ? The only thing I’ve come up with so far is the Antec Nine Hundred (because of its size) but I’m not sure how good it is, and I’m drawing a blank as to PSUs, both in terms of how many watts I need, and what brand/model is good and relatively quiet.

Thanks for reading.
March 29, 2007 10:01:16 PM

Corsair 620HX, tons of power, really quiet, great quality.

How much are you looking to spend on the case? The Antec 900 is a pretty small case when compared to some full towers, like the CM Stacker 830/832, or the Mountian Mods U2-UFO.
March 29, 2007 10:42:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, apt403.

Uhm... those cases do seem a little pricy to me... (I was thinking about something around 150-200 $.)

Would there be any advantages to buying them in stead of the Antec? (Aside from the obvious that I could put more stuff in them.) :) 
Related resources
March 30, 2007 1:18:39 AM

Nope, the Antec 900 is a great case, awesome airflow, high build quality, some people dont like the fact that the psu has to be installed on the bottom or the case, since the cables on some psu's arent long enough to reach the mobo, but the Corsair model I mentioned should be fine.
March 30, 2007 2:01:08 AM

Gigabyte 3D Aurora is a nice big case, good quality, water cooling ready and'll fit a GTS. it won't fit a GTX without a little modification. Gigabyte also has a follow up case that is a little longer to accomodate the GTX sized cards.
Current Aurora pricing is about 139 or less.
Aurora
Auro570
a c 140 ) Power supply
March 30, 2007 2:05:00 AM

The Antec 900 has room for a mix of 9 drives; the post identifies only one dvd and one HD. Do you forsee a need for more??
March 30, 2007 3:03:27 AM

Just wondering, are you planning on overclocking your cpu at all? If so you may want to get some 667 ram instead, should only cost a tiny bit extra.
March 30, 2007 7:22:37 AM

I'm getting similar rig for myself soon.
Decided on case - TT Armor

but PSU is still enigma:
I'm kinda deciding between Tagan and Corsair

They cost the same here. Will be OCing and have watercooled CPU(maybe GPU later).
How both do in power and noise?
anyone?
March 30, 2007 9:19:47 AM

PCSilentCooling have had a few issues with Tagan PSUs from what I recall. The corsair is the way to go, though the 520w version will be easily enough anyway. It's got 40a, and they've even got 8800gtx's in sli to work on a 30a psu! One 8800gts on 40a should be fine!

Get better memory. pc2-6400 modules are just as cheap anyway, and you may find that they get outdated less quickly.
March 30, 2007 10:44:15 AM

hehe, i'll be getting
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 with EPP - Enhanced Performance Profiles, SLI Certified

:)  this is best i can get here it seems :?
March 30, 2007 3:27:57 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’m leaning heavily towards the Antec 900 and the Corsair 620 now

Stupid question of the day: Is there any disadvantage to getting an Antec MB and a Corsair PSU (in stead of an Antec one)? I read somewhere on the Antec site that they strongly recommended buying an Antec PSU with the Antec MB’s, but that’s probably just to boost their PSU sales and shouldn’t be taken too seriously, right?

About the RAM, I may post to the RAM forum with some questions later (so maybe I'll see some of you there). :) 
March 30, 2007 4:12:29 PM

The PSU you're getting is better than anything Antec build, so it's just to stop you from getting something cheap and nasty really.
March 30, 2007 9:32:17 PM

I stand corrected!
March 30, 2007 11:48:36 PM

I have the Thermaltake Armor full tower case. Lots of room, classy and cool at the same time. It's built like a friggen tank. The room made it a joy to build in.
March 31, 2007 1:59:01 AM

Quote:
I'm getting similar rig for myself soon.
Decided on case - TT Armor

but PSU is still enigma:
I'm kinda deciding between Tagan and Corsair

They cost the same here. Will be OCing and have watercooled CPU(maybe GPU later).
How both do in power and noise?
anyone?

Good choice on the case. As for the issue on the powersupply: You dont need the HX620 model like ones have described. The HX520 model boasts enough power for One 8800GTS. Hell even a GTX. Saves a bit of money too. Tagan is also another great company to consider if you are not satisfied with what you find from other companies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Have fun and good luck :) 
March 31, 2007 5:47:53 AM

Problem is i can't really get anything else in my country unless i order from UK(if they deliver to me).
They cost the same actually(maybe few bucks apart), i just wanna know which one is less noisy ;) 
Isn't better to have more power in case of any upgrades?I really don't want to buy new PSU in one or two years :( 

tnx
!