Sign in with
Your question

i want to buy a dell :/

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2007 7:38:42 PM

k so if you guys have ANY other suggestions so i dont have to buy a dell please tell me...but im looking at the XPS 410 desktop and my budget is around 1500 but i want a good computer...tell me what you guys think its gonna have the best processor you can get with the XPS 410, 2GB ram, Vista, 320GB hard drive with 7200 rpm and a 256 mb geforce graphics card...if you guys have any other suggestions that would be great but tell me what you think of this build...also i NEED the desktop to have a wireless card...do Dells come with them?

More about : buy dell

March 29, 2007 8:15:01 PM

IMHO, "Dell" and "Good Computer" are mutually exclusive. Surely you'll get a better, more customized PC at your local "Mom and Pop" for around the same price.

When (notice I didn't say "if") you have any problems with the Dell, you'll be talking to Abdu in India for support. Ask yourself if that's really want. If you answer yes, then go ahead and buy Dell.
March 29, 2007 8:15:45 PM

Quote:
k so if you guys have ANY other suggestions so i dont have to buy a dell please tell me...but im looking at the XPS 410 desktop and my budget is around 1500 but i want a good computer...tell me what you guys think its gonna have the best processor you can get with the XPS 410, 2GB ram, Vista, 320GB hard drive with 7200 rpm and a 256 mb geforce graphics card...if you guys have any other suggestions that would be great but tell me what you think of this build...also i NEED the desktop to have a wireless card...do Dells come with them?

ok for 1500$?? you should be getting at least a core2 duo e6400 or e6600, at least a geforce 7900 video card, 2gb ram, 320gb hard drive, probally even a sli motherboard, your gonna have to buy a wireless card, they run for about 30-50$... i would suggest taht you go to ur local privatly owned computer store and have us on this forum pick out parts for you, meaning you tell us what you want to use your pc for, and we therefore will pick out what computer parts will satisfy u, and u then can give the list of parts to ur local pc shop and they will put it together for u, u can even order the parts and bring them down to the shop, offer them 100$ to build it and no more.. ARe u from conniecticut? i am, i would build ur pc for 50bucks... i suggest u dont go with dell.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2007 8:26:07 PM

Quote:

I'm shocked that you would ask about buying a Dell here.
Check the Dell Outlet, you can get more for your money. Mine was $819 and I added the GTS after.
March 29, 2007 8:28:09 PM

I just bought a XPS 410 refurb for $500, after DFI support killed my motherboard in my other system and needed a system while they RMA that board, so I would say that an XPS 410 is a decent system for a mass produced system. But you probably could get a better custom system if you spend that much money. But the price/performance ratio on refurb XPS is good.
March 29, 2007 8:53:25 PM

Just an example:

You can build dell's highest spec'd xps 710 that costs $5500 for less than $4000 using all really nice parts.

You would be a lot better off building your own.
March 29, 2007 8:55:49 PM

Quote:
IMHO, "Dell" and "Good Computer" are mutually exclusive. Surely you'll get a better, more customized PC at your local "Mom and Pop" for around the same price.

When (notice I didn't say "if") you have any problems with the Dell, you'll be talking to Abdu in India for support. Ask yourself if that's really want. If you answer yes, then go ahead and buy Dell.

If you have GTS, I'm pretty sure you won't have that problem.

My friend bought his XPS 410 for 1200, and he loves it.
Reason's why he bought from Dell:

1) one place to go for support, no RMA's
2) comes pre built, no building
...that's about it

I could have gotten the same system for cheaper from newegg (about 200 dollars cheaper, but that didn't come with a monitor either)

Sometimes it CAN be worth it to get a Dell, majority of the time, I will build my own.
March 29, 2007 9:01:31 PM

dude, why are you getting a dell??
March 29, 2007 9:05:08 PM

Quote:
Just an example:

You can build dell's highest spec'd xps 710 that costs $5500 for less than $4000 using all really nice parts.

You would be a lot better off building your own.

At the same time build the XPS410 for the same price, include the monitor then factor in time and effort to build it and IF any parts fail the downtime you have just getting it back... then consider what is worth it...

I'd say absolutely lowest level PC's home built, low range-lowmidrange = prebuilt Dell, HP, whatever, then anything above that I would say home built again
March 29, 2007 9:23:41 PM

Quote:

Dell's arn't "bad", they are just better suited for business users with good customer support (in the U.S.) and all have sucky intergrated video cards (except for the most high-end model)
I would buy a Dell notebook if I stayed in the U.S. and didn't care about games. I will never though buy a Dell Desktop. They all have sucky PSUs except for the most high-end model which costs a fortune.

I hope Alienware can make Dell more attractive while Dell improves Alienware quality. Rather than making Alienware as boring as Dell.

Last thing, the Dell monitors are good and cheap. I actually recommend them!
March 29, 2007 9:57:48 PM

I built a pc for my friends boss, he sent me a link to a Dell that cost just under a grand - I built it with the same or better parts for $677. E521 was the model I think. But Dell is hurting right now, so only the outlet stuff is a good deal.
March 29, 2007 9:58:29 PM
March 29, 2007 10:03:11 PM

Be very careful when upgrading the GPU in a Dell.

The XPS410 has a 375w PSU. I dunno how many amps, but I would be wary about installing a GTS.

Dell isnt that bad. The XPS service is back in America and pretty good.

Dont be pressured into building your own system if you arent ready. Building your own system is a lot of work and can be stressful.

If you dont demand that much, a Dell will be fine.

I just would makje sure to get a Core 21 Duo 2gb of ram and discrete GPU.
March 29, 2007 10:15:35 PM

That's a boxed CPU, not OEM. You can knock off the $65.00 CPU cooler and the $10.00 paste.
March 29, 2007 10:39:36 PM

Now factor in labor, then factor in RMAing parts that may take a long time to get to you + a 15% restocking fee, also factor in no tech support. AND with Dell all this is handled in one place, makes it easier in my opinion, but it's really up to the OP. I like building mine, and would consider buying a Dell.
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2007 10:41:11 PM

Quote:

The XPS410 has a 375w PSU. I dunno how many amps, but I would be wary about installing a GTS.

The psu has two +12 volt rails rated at 18 amps with a combined output of 30 amps and is quite capable of handling the 8800 GTS.
For some reason Dell offers the XPS 410 with the 8800 GTX as an upgrade option, I think that that is pushing too hard.
March 29, 2007 10:42:45 PM

as far as assembling... someone mentioned about dell motherboards not being able to overclock, so that would be a first problem right away, i would think... especially if youre wanting top cpu performance for cheap, and dont mind OCing (such as with an E4300, which is soon to be under $150, if it isnt already, the stock heatsink works pretty well too)... a quality motherboard for ~$150 and under... a seagate 7200rpm 320GB sata hdd you can get for ~$90 and under... a decent ATX case you can get for ~$100, depending on what you want in it... a seperate quality psu you can get for ~$60 and up, youll want 600watts and up either way, and at least 30amps combined... quality memory can be had for under $100 per GB (youll want at least 2GB either way for xp or vista)... an 8800GTS 320MB for around $270 ($250 w/ $20 rebate at newegg)... the wireless card for ~$20... dvd burner for ~$40... x-fi sound card for ~$80... vista home premium for ~$130, and a floppy drive for ~$5...

total that comes out to under $1300 (give or take, depending on where you purchase, and which specific parts you purchase extra/instead of)... but, for a tower i think that would easily outperform the xps 410 youre thinking of, for possibly less money than you would be spending too
March 29, 2007 10:47:26 PM

Bite the bullet....Build your first catastrophe,trust me,It'll be the best thing you ever did in your obscure simple life ....It could be the easyest 2 hrs you ever spent...or it can be a learning experience(I was gonna say hair pulling but I dont want to frighten the poor innocence off him or her 8O ).Non the less "GO FOR IT" you will like your machine so much better not just because you created it,but because it 5 times faster than that 2.5 cas latency pile of ic's disquised as a Dell pc.gl :D  .
March 29, 2007 10:48:04 PM

@ the topic.

Well.. buy one. What's stopping ya? Wireless lan? Call Dell and tell them what you want.

If you want to build one, then visit the Homebuilt section.
March 29, 2007 11:07:40 PM

Quote:
8O Factor in that needing to RMA is not as common as you imply :roll: That and New eggs turnaround is fast and dells service blows.

That directly depends on the service you pay for. And I'm 99% sure that Dells next business day on-site service is faster than Newegg's RMA service. And there is no 15% restocking fee. Though, this all depends on if parts fail...

IF the OP is a first time builder then RMA sounds more likely to take place.
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2007 11:33:56 PM

Dell charges extra for anything more than 1 year of At-Home service though:

Quote:
4Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $260 or $8/month]
3Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $200 or $6/month]
2Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $109 or $4/month]
1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [Included in Price]

I'd rather pay IF something goes wrong, not when something MIGHT go wrong. $109-260 is a lot more than any 15% restocking fee, or RMA shipping and you have to pay for service up front even though you may not ever use it.
March 29, 2007 11:43:39 PM

Quote:

First of all, Dell has some great machines out there for the money, especially if you can find one that qualifies for one of their web discounts (try www.dealsea.com). Mom and pop builts don't always beat them for performance for price when those coupons are applied, and you have to admit, Dells are pretty well engineered. One thing I really like about them is that they're quiet but still pretty fast. Also, you can get just about any spare part on ebay cheaply.

Secondly, Dell has been bringing a lot of their support back to the US after the backlash. Not all, but quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's mostly Biz support or not, but I usually get an native English speaker nowadays.
March 29, 2007 11:47:46 PM

yeah... as far as the OP though too, assuming they have an interest in DIY computer building, if they just go and buy a dell, theyll never really even learn how to build a computer first hand (which is very rewarding and beneficial in itself), again, assuming theyve never really built one before... if youre careful, you can go a long way in avoiding unnecessary complications... making sure to ask questions when you feel you need to, and referring to the manuals for how things should be installed... but always asking questions and/or doing research if theres something you dont understand, or are unsure about... ...building a computer can be equated more to building something with legos, and making it pretty much however you want... or you can go to dell and buy that same something (or a close proximity to it), fully built and already assembled, but wheres the fun there? lol
March 30, 2007 12:16:27 AM

Quote:

The psu has two +12 volt rails rated at 18 amps with a combined output of 30 amps and is quite capable of handling the 8800 GTS.
For some reason Dell offers the XPS 410 with the 8800 GTX as an upgrade option, I think that that is pushing too hard.

Got a 410 myself and yes, it does have 2 +12 volt rails at 30 amps. Have heard of many people running a GTX, X-Fi, and 2 hard drives. It's been said that Compaq... yeah, Compaq, has some of the best quality PSU's - large breakers, fuses and longest lasting. Dell is good is you need a pre-built system; obviously, building it yourself is a few hundred cheaper.

This all reminds me of Jeff Gordon taking a spin around a track before a race - being boo-ed for winning too many races. Ofcouse Jeff doesn't have 20,000 secretaries that speak Korean, but you get my drift.
March 30, 2007 12:17:54 AM

I've purchased Dell (XPS 600) and recently built 2 of my own. ...why I love the performance, customization, and upgradability of my 2 home built rigs I get this weird safe feeling from the Dell. If it poops out they'll be here tomorrow fixing it. No RMAing, no shipping any parts...just fixed.

Not everyone that frequents these forums wants to build their own rigs. ...but building your own can be a lot of fun...if that's your ball of wax. Dell makes a good pre-built machine, IMO. I'm quite satisfied with the XPS 600.
March 30, 2007 12:20:19 AM

My friends dell has had 4 motherboards die. no only that but the Foxcon boards the shipped with his dell lacked temperature sensors and heat sinks on the power converters. he had to put on a custom north bridge cooler to keep it from overheating.

Plus:: Building a computer is not hard, as long as you know how to use a screwdriver you can build a computer it is as simple as snap..snap..snap.pop and your are done..

on my first build i was afraid that i was going to kill something but it was really easy and i have built 2 computer and had no problems
March 30, 2007 12:29:48 AM

I don't recommend buying anything that is "cheap" or the lowest price, when it comes to electronics. That's just my position, though. I think if you build a rig with "cheap" parts you run more of a risk of dissapointments than if you use mid-to-high level parts. ...and I believe that if you buy the cheapest model Dell you may run the risk of failures more than if you pay a it bit more for a better product.

...that might not be logical or it may sound stupid...just my position.
March 30, 2007 12:33:37 AM

performance isnt really an issue, because all current computers are pretty fast, if youre wanting faster, of course youre going to pay more even still most times (from dell or diy)... its only a matter of if youre interested in building or not really, since prices would be within a few hundred dollars usually, so price isnt really too much of an issue either... as far as reliability is concerned, just make sure the brand is a quality brand... with dell, brand choice isnt really an option (either way if something fails youll have to rma it anyhow)... really all it comes down to is if you want to build or not.
March 30, 2007 12:33:45 AM

The same could be said of a home theater receiver though, yes, that's more complicated, but the same could be said. Not everyone wants to build a PC. There are merits either way. Building a rig is definitely an educational experience. ...some people just want to use the computer though...not know how to dissect it...I can respect that.
March 30, 2007 1:16:59 AM

As for building yourself being cheaper then a Dell, its not necc true, if you buy from dell outlet.

I paid $475 shipped for an XPS 410

6300 core2

1GB DDR2

250GB HDD

vista home premium

7300LE graphics

its not a high powered system, but cheaper then newegg

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$59.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$69.99

BIOSTAR V7302EL26 GeForce 7300LE 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card - Retail

$52.99

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail

$39.99

WINTEC AMPO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AMD2667-1G1K-R - Retail

$61.99

ABIT AB9 Pro LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$145.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail

$181.00

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

$119.99

shipping: $25.91

total: 757.84

I saved ~$270 by buying from Dell instead of building myself.
March 30, 2007 1:19:09 AM

Are you very entertained about the responses you're getting? Mentioning Dell here is the ultimate troll.

That having been said, without shopping very hard (keep an eye on the bargain sites for specials and coupons, and resist the temptation to let them customize) it's easy to get a system from Dell that is far more economical and practical than piecing together your own or having the local Mom 'n Pop (or CompUSA, or combination nail salon and computer store, or whatever) put one together for you. And you have to take all the comments here with a shaker of salt. Perhaps even my own!

For example, eRazor writes "When you have any problems with the Dell, you'll be talking to Abdu in India for support." If you have any problems with your home-built, you'll be talking to the same folks in India, the Phillipines, etc. and if there's any question as to the source of the problem (is it the motherboard? video card? etc.), they'll all be pointing fingers at each other rather than working with you to fix the problem. Won't THAT be fun.

08nwsula chooses as his example a Dell system whose intent is so far outside what you're interested in that it's entirely irrelevant.

verndewd mentions failure rates of OEM mass-produced components. Um, where can I find the carefully hand-assembled stuff? Anyway, when they get a bad run of stuff it's pretty visible but Hitachi et al are not just supplying Dell, they're supplying other PC makers and feeding the retail channel too. Think about that.

Buying a retail box can have other benefits too, such as better engineered air flow and quieter operation. And the OEM deals on the OS save a lot of money right there. Dell's add-a-monitor deals are a mind-blowing value. And if you ever have to reload the OS and drivers, Dell, HP, IBM, etc. give you CDs or DVDs that do the whole thing for you with just a couple of clicks and save tons of effort hunting down all the driver software.

All that having been said, the cost savings don't come from nowhere. The power supply will be the least expensive possible component and won't really have substantial headroom for later additions. Upgrade capacity may be limited in general. And forget any notions about overclocking. And the Dell support dude's answers to about half the problems that crop up will be to reload your OS. Sheesh, India has lots of bright people, I don't know why Dell can't find them...

One thing I'll mention about your requirements is not to be cheap with the wireless NIC. Get a good one that has a separate antenna connected by a wire so you can locate it up out of the way, otherwise the computer case itself ends up blocking the signal.

A $1500 budget is fairly substantial so frankly you should have the freedom to buy HP or Dell, or get one built per your specs at the local parts bin.

-Brad
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2007 1:49:02 AM

Quote:
As for building yourself being cheaper then a Dell, its not necc true, if you buy from dell outlet.

I paid $475 shipped for an XPS 410

6300 core2

1GB DDR2

250GB HDD

vista home premium

7300LE graphics

I bought and sold enough of these, at a profit, that the 2407 WFP I'm looking at was free.
March 30, 2007 1:53:54 AM

Quote:

If you really don't feel like building a PC, then the box companies like Dell and HP are a good option for you. Just stay away from the XPS. Its over priced for the components you'd be getting. A high model Dimension is a better idea IMHO.
a c 265 à CPUs
March 30, 2007 1:56:06 AM

A nice set of components. Drop the cooler, paste, and sound card for $150 less. It will take about two hours to assemble this. The value of learning is priceless. One reason Dell and other pc makers can sell computers so cheaply is that they get paid to include sample software and other "bloatware". If you load your own OS, you get a clean install, and you know what everything is.
March 30, 2007 2:09:05 AM

...thats another thing too... bloatware. if you do get a prebuilt system from a major manufacturer, youll probably feel inclined to want to reinstall the OS from a clean slate anyhow... or at the very least uninstall most of what they put on, the OS is kinda sluggish otherwise. other than that though.
March 30, 2007 2:11:15 AM

Quote:
Build your own ,screw it up ;learn to fix it,,,,become informed. :wink: This eradicates reliance on a Dell or HP.

Good advice. Too bad vern wasn't around to help me about 10 years ago. :)  I built my own, screwed up royally (although I did manage to use that nightmarish PC for a year or so), then decided, the hell with it, I'm just getting a Dell. The strategy worked until a couple of years ago when I got the Dell from Hell. So I said the Hell with Dell. I built my own (using many of the Dell's components) and haven't looked back.

You might consider a barebone but if you're a gamer you'll probably have to ditch the PSU in order to install a decent video card. ASUS motherboards are also pretty user friendly.

I actually trust Michael Dell and now that he's back in charge I'm willing to give them a second chance, not for myself but for friends/family who ask for advice and don't want to build. My niece for instance is petrified by the thought of having to install a DVD drive, much less build a PC. Self building is definitely not for everyone but it's way too much fun for me to give up.

If Dell doesn't offer wireless you can just get an inexpensive adapter like this one from Newegg. It's fast and works with XP and Vista.
March 30, 2007 2:23:38 AM

Quote:

No offence but because of people like you, Dell and other OEM companies still exist and keep ripping off people.
March 30, 2007 2:23:44 AM

ok this is all great advice guys...thanks...also some more details which i forgot to mention...i have a monitor from dell that i bought last year (20inch), i have a microsoft laser mouse, and i plan on getting the vista keyboard/mouse...i want vista for my computer and i live in westchester, NY...so connecticut is close to me...things i will be using my computer for are warcraft 3 and sometimes world of warcraft. i will also have music and a lot of movies/tv shows from iTunes...i have a friend who lives a couple doors down from me at my boarding school who has always wanted to build a computer (just like me) but i dont want to mess anything up...also my other friend owns a smaller computer company and gets parts at a discount so perhaps i can order from him...the parts are warrantied but not the computer itself and i think he charges more than 100 for labor so i dont think ill be having him build it...anyways if you could list parts (without keyboard, mouse, monitor) thatd be great...also i need a wireless card that gets GOOD reception and is fast...anyways i think i might try the build it on your own thing with my friend...considering i want to do something in computers when i grow up i might as well start now...so that being said, 1500$ budget, will build it on own, and i need parts you guys think will be good (i like the case with the three circle things on the front that lights up :D ) THANKS GUYS/girls if there are any
March 30, 2007 2:25:24 AM

Quote:

No offence but because of people like you, Dell and other OEM companies still exist and keep ripping off people.
Because some people don't want to be bothered building a computer? Its not exactly for everyone.

Awaits the flames.
March 30, 2007 2:40:47 AM

well, since you are interested in building, there are a few builds posted up above (in this same thread) that should fall within your $1500 budget... actually, if you start a new thread in the 'general homebuilt' section, specifying that you want to build a tower and have $1500 to spend on it (and anything else you want to add about it, such as what you want to do with it, which games you want to play, wireless nic, etc), you should get quite a few responses tailored to your post, instead of mostly just a flamewar, lol
March 30, 2007 2:52:15 AM

Quote:
When (notice I didn't say "if") you have any problems with the Dell

This is just your biased opinion; a Dell is much less likely to break than a computer from a first-time builder (you can quote me on that one).

Quote:
you'll be talking to SANJAY GUPTA in India for support.

I changed the name to make it more realistic. Anyways, Sanjay can get a Dell technician to come to your house and get you free replacement parts (or even a replacement computer), something which your "mom and pop" store cannot do. Nonetheless, I'd much rather be talking (b****ing) to Sanjay about a problem than trying to fix my own custom-build.

Quote:
(I was gonna say hair pulling but I dont want to frighten the poor innocence off him or her)

Don't worry; you frightened the poor innocence off of the OP when you suggested to
Quote:
Build your first catastrophe

By the way, Ninjaz7, your post is a grammar and punctuation nightmare.

Quote:
Are you very entertained about the responses you're getting? The responses one gets from Mentioning Dell here is the ultimate troll.

I corrected your post to make it a true statement.

Quote:
Because some people don't want to be bothered building a computer? Its not exactly for everyone.

FINALLY! A voice of reason!
March 30, 2007 2:58:42 AM

Quote:
ok this is all great advice guys...thanks...also some more details which i forgot to mention...i have a monitor from dell that i bought last year (20inch), i have a microsoft laser mouse, and i plan on getting the vista keyboard/mouse...i want vista for my computer and i live in westchester, NY...so connecticut is close to me...things i will be using my computer for are warcraft 3 and sometimes world of warcraft. i will also have music and a lot of movies/tv shows from iTunes...i have a friend who lives a couple doors down from me at my boarding school who has always wanted to build a computer (just like me) but i dont want to mess anything up...also my other friend owns a smaller computer company and gets parts at a discount so perhaps i can order from him...the parts are warrantied but not the computer itself and i think he charges more than 100 for labor so i dont think ill be having him build it...anyways if you could list parts (without keyboard, mouse, monitor) thatd be great...also i need a wireless card that gets GOOD reception and is fast...anyways i think i might try the build it on your own thing with my friend...considering i want to do something in computers when i grow up i might as well start now...so that being said, 1500$ budget, will build it on own, and i need parts you guys think will be good (i like the case with the three circle things on the front that lights up :D ) THANKS GUYS/girls if there are any

I would seriously urge you to reconsider; if you don't know what you're doing, your "first build" may end up being a $1500 doorstop/paperweight. If you build a computer, you're completely on your own if anything goes wrong.

Sure, you may save some money on parts by building, but the peace of mind of a warranty (not to mention not having to assemble the damn thing) is worth the extra cost.
March 30, 2007 3:24:47 AM

dude, for 1500 you could build a machine that would smoke a comparable dell. They suck terribly and as noted above they have become too large. I don't trust their solutions. If you are looking to get the best deal on a cheap computer then great. However, if you are looking to go with mid/high end then build your own. If you have any clue how to do it or want to do some research then you can its not hard. The only real difficult part is overclocking and even that isn't hard.

Good luck
March 30, 2007 3:28:53 AM

Quote:
i want to buy a dell

Why would you tell us that? Everyone knows that you can build a better PC than Dell can. There are a million people who have posted "Please help me with my build" topics that provide the information you need. If you seriously can't find them then PM me and I can hook you up with about 50 or more from the last year or two.

Please don't buy Dell, they come with cheap parts that are dying to fail.
-cm
March 30, 2007 3:30:22 AM

Quote:

I would seriously urge you to reconsider; if you don't know what you're doing, your "first build" may end up being a $1500 doorstop/paperweight. If you build a computer, you're completely on your own if anything goes wrong.

Sure, you may save some money on parts by building, but the peace of mind of a warranty (not to mention not having to assemble the damn thing) is worth the extra cost.

????
????
????

I call BS on this one.
-cm
March 30, 2007 4:14:54 AM

If you are even considering buying a Dell you probably should. You need to learn the hard way so that you will never forget.

All your base are belong to us. All your base are belong to us. All your base are belong to us. All your base are belong to us. All your base, all your base, all your base are belong to us.

Thanks angry_ducky I'll never get that out of my head :!:
March 30, 2007 5:06:15 AM

Go teach a classs ur sumethin(or whatever u turtleneck stuffers from ivy league do)....If you dont lik my grammer...dont read it...And lik I said sounds like you've got enough knowledge to do it,it'll be the best learning experience of ur life.If you get in any trouble,someone here will help you out.Unless you get ahold of someone lik angry duck who'd rather teach grammer and edicate.
March 30, 2007 5:44:38 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you can get a wireless card but why would you want to ? Just get an external USB widget that you can sit up on your desk.

As to Dell's systems, yoU're paying for warranty. If it's worth it to you to have your system up and running ASAP if it has a failure then a company like Dell is the way to go. For instance I once had a Tyan motherboard fail in my old Socket 7 system. Dell would have had it replaced during the "next business day" if I called in before 4 : PM local. In this case the failure was on Sunday morning and I would have had it repaired on Monday. It took Tyan a solid month to get the board back to me.

Another thing I like about them is the fact that they're quiet. I work in a building that has well over 2000 Dell's and you simply don't hear them running. If you do buy a Dell, do yourself a favor and get the "Business Standard Plan " though as the support might cost a lot more but at least they're in America.
March 30, 2007 6:24:19 AM

The other idea is that you could just buy a new motherboard and pocket the balance of the cash. You really waited a month to get a replacement board? You are considerably more patient than me.
March 30, 2007 6:43:51 AM

Quote:

Awaits the flames.
Ya, If you don't care about games and live in the U.S., Just get a Dell and no need to worry.
!