HELP installing motherboard !!!!!!!!!

markish

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
hi this is my first build and at the moment i am screwing the motherboard onto the case and im not sure if im supposed to just screw the screws directly on the case in the holes indicated in the motherboard manual with the little washer type things that came with it or not? the manual says nothing about using them while screwing the motherboard onto the case. wont screwing the motherboard in the holes they tell me to without the washer things cause a electrical problem and maybe screw up my mother board?

board- ASUS P5B-E

jason7655

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I've only done a case change...but the motherboard sat on the gold screws and then the silver screws I used to screw the motherboard into place.

markish

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
ya thats exactly what i have. there are gold things underneath the motherboard and then the motherboard sits on that and then screw the screws directly into the gold things in the coresponding holes where the manual says?

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Motherboards generally have an area around the screw that is isolated from any traces. So using the washers is really a matter of personal choice IMHO. My concern is, your post doesn't mention the brass standoffs most usually used to elevate the board (and the screws actually thread into). That would be a much bigger concern than the little paper washers. Or more to the point - you don't want to screw your board directly to the motherboard tray - there should be about 1/4 inch clearance between the bottom of the board and the case.

markish

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Motherboards generally have an area around the screw that is isolated from any traces. So using the washers is really a matter of personal choice IMHO. My concern is, your post doesn't mention the brass standoffs most usually used to elevate the board (and the screws actually thread into). That would be a much bigger concern than the little paper washers. Or more to the point - you don't want to screw your board directly to the motherboard tray - there should be about 1/4 inch clearance between the bottom of the board and the case.

yes there are gold things that are rising it up and making it not touch the case directly and there is a gap between the case and the motherboard.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Why don't you read the motherboard installation manual???????????

I just added the extra question marks, because you obviously don't understand that one exclamation mark is all that's required to finish a sentence. I thought you wouldn't understand that it was a question unless you saw at least 6 or 7 question marks.

In future writings, perhaps you can restrain yourself when you start bashing those keys? The poor old exclamation mark, he doesn't need any more help from you!

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
hi this is my first build and at the moment i am screwing the motherboard onto the case and im not sure if im supposed to just screw the screws directly on the case in the holes indicated in the motherboard manual with the little washer type things that came with it or not? the manual says nothing about using them while screwing the motherboard onto the case. wont screwing the motherboard in the holes they tell me to without the washer things cause a electrical problem and maybe screw up my mother board?

board- ASUS P5B-E

Just make sure you are using the brass standoffs ("gold things") the washers don't really matter. Use them if it makes you feel better. Just check to see if the standoffs are in the correct places as not all motherboards have the same mounting holes...

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Why don't you read the motherboard installation manual???????????

I just added the extra question marks, because you obviously don't understand that one exclamation mark is all that's required to finish a sentence. I thought you wouldn't understand that it was a question unless you saw at least 6 or 7 question marks.

In future writings, perhaps you can restrain yourself when you start bashing those keys? The poor old exclamation mark, he doesn't need any more help from you!

First, in his original post he said that the installation manual did not cover what the washers do. Perhaps you should open your eyes.

Second, in what way does your post help or further the discussion? It does nothing but belittle Markish who is only trying to make sure something doesn't go horribly wrong.

Third, have you never done something for the first time in your life?

Markish:

Pay no attention to his post. He's obviously jeleous that he's not the one building a new PC. Post all the questions you need rather than screw things up. There are LOTS of people here who will offer sound advice. Sure, there are those who will spout off just for the sake of seeing their name in lights, but not everyone is... like that.