gbdg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I have read many of the "which AV?" threads and I see that Avast, AVG and Panda are all quite popular here.

I do not, however, see much discussion of Trend Micro's PC-cillin, BitDefender or Kaspersky. Are those not popular for some reason, or are the others favored only because they are free?

I really don't mind a reasonable annual subscription, but I do want a light footprint and effective security.

Thanks,
Greg

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Panda is not free, but it is a good antivirus. Of all those that you mentioned however, I believe PC-cillin from Trend Micro to be the best. I've heard people on these forums wildly singing the praises of free antivirus. They are obviously free to say whatever they perceive to be true. I will simply say that I have worked on customer's machines using AVG or Avast and I have found viruses and trojans that they did not. These scans were done using Norman Antivirus, which is our antivirus program of choice. AVG and Avast both offer pay versions, so there are certain features one does not get for free. You can decide for yourself. Just whatever you do, don't buy Norton, it's a resource hog.

xxeddydxx

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
The best anti virus program is BItdefender without a doubt.
Try it out. Pm me is u want it cracked- so u dont have to pay for it :wink:

EseyPC

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
If you need the best anti-virus out there with the fastest response time to new threats, the smallest, most frequent updates, then you need Kaspersky. Kaspersky is a good value, too. You can get the personal security suite for $69.95 for 2 years (breaks down to LESS THAN $3/MONTH!!!)

AND STAY AWAY FROM NORTON/MCAFFEE!!!!